Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Okay - background story is me and 2 friends have started projects from scratch. I have chosen Chaos Space Marines, they have chosen Tau and Necrons respectively (lots of 4+ saves).

These games are going to be entirely for fun, however, at the same time i don't want to be crushed. I haven't played CSM since the 2007 codex.

Here is my initial 1000 points:

Chaos Lord w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Sigil of Corruption, Gift of Mutation = 130
(I know the plasma pistol is unnecessary, but against battle suits.. it could be useful)

10 Chaos Space marines w/ Power fist, 2 Plasma guns, CCWs (x9), Veterans of the Long War (x10), Rhino with Havoc Launcher = 280

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ Power fist, 1 Meltagun, CCWs (x8), VotLW (x9), Rhino with Havoc Launcher = 244

Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge = 120

This brings me to 774. Here is the two options I now have to round out to 1000 points:

2 x Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge = 240 (2x120)
OR
1 x Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge = 120
1 x Predator w/ Heavy Bolter, Havoc Launcher = 107
OR
3 x Obliterators w/ Mark of Nurgle, VotLW = 237 (3x79) - these guys could go in any formation, 3x1, 1x3 or 2x1+1 etc.

Which of these choices is preferable (AND WHY!)?

Disclaimer - I appreciate this isn't a competitive list, I'm not trying to play the meta... just not get crushed by armies that have an easier ride at lower points.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Here is my initial 1000 points:

Chaos Lord w/ Plasma Pistol, Power Sword, Sigil of Corruption, Gift of Mutation = 130
(I know the plasma pistol is unnecessary, but against battle suits.. it could be useful)
The power weapon will be far more useful. Unless you just have the points to spare, drop the plasma pistol.

10 Chaos Space marines w/ Power fist, 2 Plasma guns, CCWs (x9), Veterans of the Long War (x10), Rhino with Havoc Launcher = 280

9 Chaos Space Marines w/ Power fist, 1 Meltagun, CCWs (x8), VotLW (x9), Rhino with Havoc Launcher = 244
Probably don't need VotLW unless you've got the spare points for it. Especially not against Necrons and Tau.

Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge = 120

This brings me to 774. Here is the two options I now have to round out to 1000 points:

2 x Helbrute w/ Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge = 240 (2x120)
Stop there.

With three Helbrutes you can use the Mayhem pack formation from the Helbrute book. You get to deep strike all three of them together (something Helbrutes usually don't get to do) and let them cause all sorts of havoc. Plus they roll Crazed every turn even if they haven't been shot. I might go with a different load, however, possibly Melta/Fist/Heavy Flamer so that no matter what's around them they can make a mess of things.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not a fan of Murderpacks because your units have a 1/3 chance of being immobilized every turn. Not good if they're in melee combat...

I'm a big fan of the Plasma Cannon/Power Scourge combo. Walk them up the field and have them cannon things.

As for Obliterators, 3 single-unit models adds the most flexibility when firing weapons and makes it so they'll rarely have to take leadership tests.

As for the Lord... They're just not that good unless they're on a bike or in Terminator armor. I'd swap him out for a Sorcerer with a Spell Familiar, a Burning Brand, and +1 Mastery Level.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Looks to me like you're basing this off of a Dark Vengeance kit, so might I suggest you use the power axe wielding chosen rather than the Lord mini as your Lord, as a Lord of Khorne with the AoBF?

Yeah, Lords tend not to be that impressive unless you make them specifically "not-Infantry"--otherwise why not simply get one of the 8-odd Infantry special characters Chaos has on offer? Kharn will outfight just about any melee-kitted CSM Lord; Abaddon or Typhus can take any Termi-Armored Lord. Mobility is where you get your advantage, here. Though if you, say, buy a Bike for your Lord, then you need to free up points for bikers or Spawn to keep him safe, so that's it's own consideration.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually just snaffled the lord off of ebay for £2!

I was maybe thinking about stretching to include Kharn. However, I am torn - he is overkill at 1k?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I dunno about overkill--he's actually quite a glass cannon, at T4 with a 3+/5++. One krak missile and he's bitten it! Plus, well, Infantry-speed so needs a Land Raider to assault things in a timely manner, or to be Infiltrated by some fancy shenanigans, etc. (Joined to a squad of KDK Flesh Hounds for Scout? I dunno)

So whatever he makes it into contact with is dead, yeah, but the issue is surviving long enough and moving fast enough to actually get into said contact. If you're going for an Infantry lord, you might as well bring him to the table!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts