Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still fairly new to IG, and don't entirely know what I'm doing yet. First, my list.

Company Command Squad (Melta, Vox, Banner) - 80

Marbo - 65

Red Platoon
PCS (4x Flamers) - 50
Chimera - 55
Infantry R1 (Vox, Flamer, AutoCannon) - 65
Infantry R2 (Vox, Flamer, AutoCannon) - 65
Infantry R3 (Flamer, AutoCannon) - 60

Veterans (3x Melta, Demolitions, Vox, PS) - 135
Chimera - 55

Scout Sentinel (AutoCannon) - 40

Leman Russ (LasCannon) - 160
Leman Russ Annihilator (LasCannon) - 160

Is this a decent list? Obviously some of the upgrades are unnecessary, but I wasn't sure what else to do. These are essentially the only models I have (I also have a broken Valkerie, but it will take tons of work to fix), but using these models, is there another way to go that would be better? Thanks in advance

-JAMOB

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
This is going to be a generalized list right? If that's the case then this isn't too bad. Marbo's a solid choice, even if he's basically giving your opponent a kill point. The Vox Casters on the CCS and the Guardsmen squads fits well, and I'm guessing the PCS is going to be running anti-overwatch with all those Flamers? The Veteran squad on the other hand doesn't really need a vox caster, especially if they're going to be effectively using those meltaguns and the demolition charge.

Sentinels are best run like Heavy Weapon Squads, in groups of threes so their heavy weapons can be brought to bear on important targets. Don't expect them to last longer than turn two or three, especially if the have lascannons or autocannons.

The Leman Russ Battle Tank is really probably the best variant for generalized lists, with the Annihilator being a close second. That being said, the lascannon on the Battle Tank is pointless. If it fire's it's Battle Cannon every turn like it should, the lascannon will only make snap shots, it works better on the Annihilator.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch, that makes a lot of sense. So -vox -LC and I apparently had 10 points left over - what should I spend this on? And should I drop the sentinel, or just try to get my hands on some more? Finally, why can't the LR fire his LC at full BS? Because the Ordinance rule's downsides don't effect vehicles. Is it just because he would be moving? If so, wouldn't it effect the other one too? Once again, thanks a lot for your help

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Core rulebook page 71 lower right hand corner, 'Unlike other units, vehicles can move and fire with Ordnance weapons. However, a vehicle that fires an Ordnance weapon can only make Snap Shots with it's other weapons that turn.' :( This means that even if the Leman Russ stayed stationary that turn, it still can't shoot it's Battle Cannon and anything else at full BS.

Also, the Annihilator would only be able to fire both it's autocannons and lascannon at full BS (and anything else if you take sponsons, which would be were you could potentially put some of these points) if it stayed stationary. You could give Guardsman squad R3 a vox caster, just to give them the same chance at passing orders. Like I said, Sentinels work best in squadrons, so it might be better to scrap it and find somewhere else to stick those points.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up.

I would give them a vox, but I was planning on combining at least two of those squads together in a given game, so I would only need one.

Do you think it would make sense to take those 25, the 40 from the sentinel and the 55 from a chimera (the vets? Or the PCS?) and maybe something else (the banner?) for a vendetta? If I did that I would have 5 points left, but... I'm not sure what I would use that on. I could throw a vox into that third squad, I just don't know if it's really worth it. Is the banner the right thing to take out? I was looking at it, and it's pretty useful - especially without commissars etc.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would give them a vox, but I was planning on combining at least two of those squads together in a given game, so I would only need one.
Good point, ignore my idea of adding an additional vox.

I wouldn't take Chimera's from either squad. You could give the CCS a Chimera (You can never have enough Chimeras in my opinion haha) with the left over points, and the other 10 could be spent on giving them another melta to be even more deadly.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The Annihilator would be your best bet. That's about the only thing your list lacks in all honesty, but fliers aren't really seen that often in games under 1,500 points, so I think you'll do fine. When you do get into those higher point values and you know you'll be going against fliers, the Hydra's fantastic, even if the FAQ nerfed it a bit. We had both fliers and anti-air before 6th edition made it almost mandatory haha

Imperial Guard: We were 6th edition before 6th edition was 6th edition! :grin:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Also, the Annihilator would only be able to fire both it's autocannons and lascannon at full BS (and anything else if you take sponsons, which would be were you could potentially put some of these points) if it stayed stationary.
I would like to point out, that Leman Russes count as heavy tanks, that means that they can always fire as if it remained stationary. It's a pretty bad compensation for the rule lumbering behemoth, but at least it's something.

On the list itself, I don't really see the point of the melta in CCS. A T3, 5+ squad is very unlikely to survive if it heads with a melta towards a vehicle. I would just drop it and stay behind for issuing orders with your CCS. If you want to play scout sentinels, I would play them in groups of 3, because they're damn to fragile to survive alone, also you might probably want to outflank and attack rear armor of vehicles with them and with BS 3, one sentinel is very unlikely to do any considerable damage to a vehicle.

I have never really tested the Leman Russ Annihilator (I personally prefer executioners <3), so I can't make any comments on that. Besides these points, it seems to me a decent list.

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a ton guys! I guess now I have

Company Command Squad (Vox, Banner) - 70

Marbo - 65

Red Platoon
PCS (4x Flamers) - 50
Chimera - 55
Infantry R1 (Vox, Flamer, AutoCannon) - 65
Infantry R2 (Vox, Flamer, AutoCannon) - 65
Infantry R3 (Flamer, AutoCannon) - 60

Veterans (3x Melta, Demolitions, PS) - 130
Chimera - 55

3x Sentinel (AutoCannon) - 120

Leman Russ - 150
Leman Russ Annihilator - 150

Total - 995

and for the other two sentinels I'll just use dreadnoughts as proxies or something. Cheers!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Double check the cost on the infantry squads. They should be 5 more points each. Otherwise it looks good. I would try to give your CCS a heavy weapon so they do something than just squat backfield, pkus bs4 is too good to pass up in guard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts