Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i have a tourny this weekend that i will have to start with a 1000 pt list than add 500pts the next round than 500pts more the next round. So you have to keep the same units throughout just add more each round. So i need help with a list i can start at 1000 and add to up to 2000.

This is what i have to start, keeping in min ill be adding to it for the next rounds. 1000 pts is hard to get a balanced list. :headbutt:

Pedro - 175

Sternguard x10 - 320
-drop pod w/deathwind, PW

Sternguard x5 - 180
-CombiP, HBx2, Razorback

Scouts - 100
-Snipers, HB, CC

Scouts - 90
-Snipers, CC

? - 135 pts left.

With is pedro would sit on a VP with the SG w/razor and the drop pod + scouts would move on the others. keep in mind with pedro the SG are scoring units. I thought maybe vindi for the remaining pts but im not sure. maybe a WWind and combi out the SG? thoughts?

Now the next round ill have to keep the same list but add 500pts more to it. At 1500 i was thinking of adding bikes, or dev squads maybe a second SG squad like the first.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
true, i play DAs but there codex is severely lacking compared to the nilla codex atm.

As for the tac squad, i left them out, becouse they have been losing me games, as killing them often means you lose 1vp for the transport and 1-2 for the squad. Also with pedro the SG are scoring so there is no need for them really.

plus i have to play the nilla codex as that is what the codex i played in the league, but if the DA codex had Sternguard id be back in a second...
ill prob go back to playing it anyway out of some form of codependency. I played them in 2nd ed, when GW bothered to make the chapters similar but different not completely rule changing different.

·
Registered
122 Posts
balance the two sternguard squads to 2x7 squads, DP in each with 3 combi melta's each, maybe a couple flamers. with the left over points buy a couple LS's with MM/HF.

my 2 cents! really interested to see how a sternguard list fares at 1k points...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a similar 1500 pt list that owns, mostly because people expect land raiders and termis from marines instead they get special ammo that owns Wraith lords as easy as standard troops.

i see your point with the single dp, but i have to add to this list in the nexts round... so its kinda a holding pattern there. but the deathwind... try it. str 5 pie plate, people just dont see pods as a threat, its like having HBs in there lol. usually takes there mind off the advancing troops or Devs long enough for a plan to be well on its way.

but yeah i loss that squad alot, but it almost always takes a vehic with it. usually a land raider, plus with pedro they are scoring. that shifts there focus from taking my VP to defending theirs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It strikes me that your first table will be thinly spread, with potentially units dispersed widely. That makes me think your 135 will be best on something that can give long range support, which makes me think about auto and lascannons.

An appropriately equipped dread or tank might be very effective. The tank will have more front armour, and might tie better into the points uplift later on. Predator?

·
Registered
324 Posts
you're probably better off writing a 2000 list then scaling it down than the other way around, or you'll end up with a mishmash of units that won't work together at the higher point levels

that being said, if you want to end up with sternguard at 2000, it doesn't mean you necessarily have to have them at 1000. I'd also go with more fire support, rifleman dreads or autolas preds.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good advice. Well im off the the tourny ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 slight losses, and 1 massacre. The army worked well, having no tacs cut down on useless losses. most of the enemy fire was directed at my scouts that have a 3+ cover. I ended up going with a 5 man dev squad with 4 LC for my final unit and it over performed by a lot. There range and firepower dropped entire entire units of tau battle suits... well they failed moral and ran off the table after losing 3-4 guys in one volley :)

All of the missions were annihilation unfortunately so having almost all units scoring wasn't as good of an advantage as id hoped. but the 5 man stern guard with 2 heavy weapons rocked. people just don't expect a squad with 2 heavy's weapons to have 2 attacks in hth, 3 with Pedro next to them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts