Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i know its a bit quieter around here these days but ive always asked on this forum before and never failed to get an answer to here goes again...

So I was playing a game last Saturday and I was using a lot of plazma equipped Scions dropping in against Eldar. I super charged double tapped them only to be informed that because the pointy eared pricks were -1 to hit, that also mean that my guys blew themselves up on a roll of a 2 as well as a 1?? This really didn't seem right to me at all??

Help!!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Closet Dictator
3,430 Posts
That is unfortunately legit my friend. It's one of the casualties of the over simplification of 8th edition, roll to hit then apply the modifier. The plasma rule should be be redone to be honest so only a natural roll of a one toasts your reluctant hero

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It actually gets a little worse still, as modifiers are applied AFTER rerolls. So if you brought something that gives you a reroll on 1s to hit to PREVENT plasma from blowing up in your face (most likely through Orders in your case) while you'll explode on a 2 because it becomes a 1, you can't reroll it as being a 1.

My advice, just don't bother overcharging when the enemy's got something like that (and there's a good number of armies who can pull of at least a -1). It's rarely worth it.

Also just chalk it up as Eldar Bullshit as the Eldar are by far the worst offenders. They have an Autarch Relic, the Psychic Power Conceal, and a 2CP stratagem (all of which affect 1 unit only, thank the Emperor) and then there's the Alaitoc Craftworld which gives all enemies -1 to hit Army-wide at 12" away. And all of this STACKS. :ireful2:

So yeah, if there's an Eldar player with the willingness to invest all those resources you can potentially find yourself looking at an Autarch with -4 to be hit. But then they could instead give aspect warriors a save comparable to Custodes, so... The Big Book of Eldar Bullshit is still quite full.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S**t the bed that's mad, and very unfair on plasma dudes. Why the fact that they have a big floppy hat, or a pair of sunglasses, or what ever the Pointy eared douche's do to make themselves so hard to hit would make my gun explode I do not know.

I guess itll just be single wounds from now on then!! Where did I put my melta gun?!?

As always chaps, thanks for the prompt help, even though your answers were totally the opposite of what I wanted to hear lol!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
As a side note for this, I believe the next Big Survey for all the FAQs is coming soon where GW ask for feedback from the community on the ruleset. This definitely feels like something worth mentioning!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Eh, maybe. Given that plasma is very much in a sweet spot right as a weapon right now, I don't actually think it running into an unfortunate interaction is a big thing. Remember it would flat-out explode in your face on a 1 during normal use for many editions - In 8th it's still plenty effective and only has a chance to go boom when you get greedy and overcharge.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
148 Posts
In 9th edition I think this issue has been resolved somewhat, with some modifiers no longer stackable. However, having aid that they are still unfair to plasma guys, both AM (Astra milliwhat- you're in the guard, son!) and astartes alike. Simply put, given most are T4 and below (apart from those in wraithlord or knight armour) you would be wounding on 2's anyways.

Keep to normal plasma, don't overcharge the reactors and use massed firepower to take them down. Good luck :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts