Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking for thoughts, ideas, and C&C on a 2K list I've written for a January tournament I'm planning to attend.

HQ
Captain: Artificer Armour, Relicblade, Jump Pack
Troops
Tactical: HB, PG, SB
Tactical: MM, MG, Combi Melta
Tactical: MM, MG, Combi Melta
Fast
Assault Squad: +5 Marines, PW
Assault Squad: +5 Marines, PW
Heavy
Devastator Squad: +5 Marines, 4 LC
Devastator Squad: +5 Marines, 4 ML w/Flakk

That hits 2K exactly on the nose.
My thoughts are to deploy the Devastators in backfield areas to hold objectives that may be on my side of the deployment zone, but, not at the risk of losing their line of site to any armour or fliers (in the case of the ML) while the Tactical Squads move up the field to secure and hold objectives in their range. The Captain and Assault Squads I plan to run down the opponent's HQ and possibly any thing else I see they can handle.

Again, I'm looking for other's thoughts, ideas and C&C.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Personally I would drop the combi-meltas for two flamers in each Assault squad because BURN THEM WITH FIRE. With 10 man Devastators it's fun to combat squad them with two heavy weapons in each squad for some shooting variety. How often do you need 4 LC or ML shots to destroy something? Hint: the answer is closely tied to target priority :grin:

She's a solid list, any other suggestions I have would be to drop all Tactical sergeant upgrades and the extra Devastator bodies to see how many points are left and whether something more useful than wargear could fill that void.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Im im adding it up right hed only have about 40 points left which would be enough to add 3 marines. not worth it unless hes willing to drop a lascannon or two or downgrade to a HB on some of them. however, I would do this and put one of the tac squads in a drop pod (the ones with the meltas) to pop large armoured threats before they have a chance to get too crazy. I know not everybody is crazy about drop pods but having the ability to land a bunch of heavily armoured dudes almost anywhere on the table definitely helps turn the tide if you need to and besides, if you end up killing 230 point land Raider or Wratihknight etc. in one turn but lose that tac squad id say it was well worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I would drop the combi-meltas for two flamers in each Assault squad because BURN THEM WITH FIRE. With 10 man Devastators it's fun to combat squad them with two heavy weapons in each squad for some shooting variety. How often do you need 4 LC or ML shots to destroy something? Hint: the answer is closely tied to target priority :grin:

She's a solid list, any other suggestions I have would be to drop all Tactical sergeant upgrades and the extra Devastator bodies to see how many points are left and whether something more useful than wargear could fill that void.
I've thought about that same thing, if I drop the extra 5 marines in each Devastator Squad them I would have 140 points and that can get a Stormtalon with TLLC, but, I also lose the combat squad ability you mentioned for target priorities, which is brilliant.

I'm not overly hip to dropping things on the tactical sergeants, I like them having the SB in the squad with the HB. I wasn't sure about the Combi in the Melta Squads though, that was done for consultancy I suppose.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im im adding it up right hed only have about 40 points left which would be enough to add 3 marines. not worth it unless hes willing to drop a lascannon or two or downgrade to a HB on some of them. however, I would do this and put one of the tac squads in a drop pod (the ones with the meltas) to pop large armoured threats before they have a chance to get too crazy. I know not everybody is crazy about drop pods but having the ability to land a bunch of heavily armoured dudes almost anywhere on the table definitely helps turn the tide if you need to and besides, if you end up killing 230 point land Raider or Wratihknight etc. in one turn but lose that tac squad id say it was well worth the investment.
That's definitely a thought. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I know how ya feel about your sergeant upgrades, just figured I would toss it out there.

On Drop Pods, I love them and add my three in everywhere I can. Even just one would create a shift in what your opponent has to deal with, potentially giving your foot slogging army the time it needs to move up the board.

Do those Flakk missiles actually do much for your anti air situation? The IF tactics really make them more useful, but I still find S7 is a tough sell for busting up AV12 fliers.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Surprisingly, the ML have seen use in every game I've played in the past 6 months. Fliers abound and usually there is 1 in most people's list.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I know everyone is still using fliers, I guess I mean does it take one round of shooting with 100 points of missile launchers to bring that one flier or does it take two or three? If you're consistently popping them in one turn I would keep them, but if you're constantly taking more than that I would get something more effective going on.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I know everyone is still using fliers, I guess I mean does it take one round of shooting with 100 points of missile launchers to bring that one flier or does it take two or three? If you're consistently popping them in one turn I would keep them, but if you're constantly taking more than that I would get something more effective going on.
Honestly if your looking for anti Air then your better off spending the points on a Defense line with a quad gun. Same amount of shots but only one model has to shoot it. 48" means youll have a pretty good reach unless youe playing on Massive tables. Plus it has the added benefit of Interceptor so you could potentially knock out his flyer on his tun while all he does is sit and cry at it. whether you waste the shots with Missle launchers or with the quad gun is irrelevant because you would still have to shoot the same target with the rest of the squad. of course you could just go with a 5 man dev squad with ML and flakk have sgt man the quad gun and that takes care of your anti air as well as a really potent anti infanty and anti vehicle. at the cost of what amounts to essentially 8 tactical marines

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An ADL is something I hardly ever consider. Its not because I do not own one, I do. But, it doesn't always come to mind as an option for AA. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
An ADL is something I hardly ever consider. Its not because I do not own one, I do. But, it doesn't always come to mind as an option for AA. Hmmmm...
Ive always found they are well worth it if you can manage to knock out a flyer the turn it comes in. then i consider it 110 pts well spent.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Defense Line is 100 with a Quad Gun, where'd you get 110 from Swede?

I don't like using mine much either, Jace. On the occasion I do (and when I'm not using it for the comms Relay in heavy Reserve lists), I use the Lascannon option and have profited. It's only one shot, but at AP2 has the potential for so much more against targets with an AV. Pretty damn useless against Monstrous Creatures, that's where the Quad Gun's rate of fire shines I think. I've gunned down a few Daemon Princes with Flakk Missiles combined with a Quad Gun in one turn.

Still interested to hear if you're bringing down fliers in one turn or a couple. I've been having a hell of a time believing in S7 AP4 weaponry since AP2/1 is required for Explodes! and a 3+ saves a Flier from crashing due to Immobilized. This is a squad I have all put together and ready for my Imperial Fist army but haven't had the occasion to use very much because I've been playing Blood Angel/Deathwing lists recently.

....fucking stoked for Saturday and the release of that Codex. I'm bringing as much of my BA army as I can fit into my case with me when I go to pick it up at the GW a town over, LOVING having Saturdays off while the girlfriend is at work.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Devastators have, the majority of the time, brought aircraft down by the second turn it comes on the table. I have had one instance of them nuking an Ork Bommer on turn one, thankfully since it was heading for them right off the bat. Unfortunately, I'm not able to ever get the flier taken out by turn one, it usually has one HP left by the end of the first turn.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yikes. Hate dropping points from a solid list.
Me too. But, I think I swing dropping an Assault Squad which gives me 35 points that can go towards either two plasma pistols for the Assault Squad and Melta Bombs for the Assault Sergeant or putting towards the cost of the HQ and exchanging him for Kantor. Hmm...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'd say beef up the assault squad, but that may be my inner Blood Angel talking. Kantor would be fun, but I would want to see Sternguard in the list with him which changes more from your original theme.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd say beef up the assault squad, but that may be my inner Blood Angel talking. Kantor would be fun, but I would want to see Sternguard in the list with him which changes more from your original theme.
Yeah, I could do Kantor and the list changes from Battle Company to the Crusade Company.
30 Sternguard
2 squads of Scouts
Kantor
and whatever else peppered in for flavour.

That's thought provoking.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, after sleeping on it and thinking a few thongs over I've created some options for an 1,850 list that this has turned into. My bread & butter out of all of this will be:

Kantor
Sternguard; 10 man
Sternguard; 10 man w/ 10 Combis of varying degrees
Sternguard; 10 man w/ 10 Combis of varying degrees

This leaves me with 775 points to work with. I've contemplated:
2 scout squads with 5 men each with sniper rifles and Camo, Stormtalon w/ TLLC, LC Dev Squad and not sure what else.
I've contemplated 4 tactical squads with an AC & HB Predator.
2 tactical squads, an LC Dev squad and a Landspeeder w/HB.
Lastly 3 tactical squads, a Stormtalon w/ TLLC, and a Vindicator.

I'm a little on the stuck side with this list to say the least.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts