Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In March, my LGS is going to run an 1,850 tournament and I'm going to run the following list.

HQ 235
Chapter Master; Terminator Armour, The Burning Blade, Digital Weapons

Troops 1,020
Tactical Squad; Plasmagun, Heavy Bolter, Stormbolter
Tactical Squad; Meltagun, Multi Melta, Combi Melta
Tactical Squad; Meltagun, Multi Melta, Combi Melta

Elites 230
Sternguard; +5 Marines

Heavy 365
Devastator Squad; +5 Marines, 4 Lascannons
Stalker
Hunter

That's it. Please, let me know what you think, what its flaws are and how you would suggest fixing them.

As always, C&C is welcome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well this is different. It's got a total horde feel to it. I don't think I've ever attempted a full footslogging army that was over 1,000 points. I've also never used the hunter/stalker vehicles. How well do they work? I normally just use mortis, or a stormraven/talon for anti-air.

I can definitely see how this would throw off a marine heavy meta. I'm just not sure how well it would work around my group since our best players are DE and Nids. You may also have trouble with an IG gunline. Leman Russ and Basilisks can make quite a dent in the list from the back row. Especially in a hammer and anvil deployment. Generally, for me anyway, if I lack speed and mobility I try to make it up with range. Are you planning to combat squad in missions that don't use KPs? If so, I'd try some more ranged weapons on those tacticals.

Either way I like the originality of the list. It's definitely not the same old, same old I see in most space marine armies.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it does have a horde feel to it, I honestly hadn't thought of it in that way before now.
The foot slogging is the way I've adjusted to playing these days, I'd rather use the points I would've spent on Rhinos on more Marines shooting and possibly grabbing objectives/running static here and there for the most part. Besides, I also run IF chapter tactics and a ton of Bolter weapons rerolling on 1's is handy.
The Stalker and Hunter have worked decently for me and are cheaper than a Devastator squad equipped with 4 Missile Launchers with Flakk. Not to mention, then can always shoot at ground units if need be. I started using these when my fliers continuously failed to show up at critical times.
Cover and maneuvering in and around it will be key for this. Most of the tables are set up with decent amounts of terrain to run between and take cover with.
I'm not sure I would combat any of the squads as I, personally, feel they do better by staying together.
Ranged weapons, well, I could probably do with more Lascannons, but, I only own 4 and the Dev Squad is using them. I don't like Plasma Cannons as they scatter too often when I use them. I only have the two Multi Melta and they're seeing use. The Heavy Bolters have done decently and the Plasmaguns have the same range as a Bolter, not to mention Rapid Fire too. Let's not forget the Chapter Master and his Orbital Bombardment that is unlimited range with 10S and 1AP.

I really want to play this list sometime soon, maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just keep seeing images in my mind of 80 space marines fighting building to building in a populated city setting. It's pretty awesome. I can't say your list is good or bad as I've never tried nearly 2k points worth of boots on the ground. I'm a treadhead as well as a big fan of drop pods and bikes. But I can tell you that my Las/Plas razorback spam lists (which have been my favorites since 5th) wouldn't fair very well against all those bodies and all those krak grenades. Just remember the rules to skyfire have changed since 6th and it sucks really bad for shooting at ground targets and that orbital bombardment is only a one time use and scatters the full 2d6. I would totally try this in a friendly game, except my friends are total dicks and gloat when they win. The two best in our gang run ultra mobile dark eldar with poison shots and tyrannids with lots of horde and MCs. And screw FMCs man! I hate those guys.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, at 2K I'm running 100 marines in some instances and running 101 boots on the ground with the HQ.
I do like the reaction some people have when I'm setting up. No-one has yet to call an all out foot slogging list a cheese fest or anything else derogatory. I like tanks too and enjoy fielding them, but, I've noticed thar Rhinos can only do so much and usually that includes getting "popped" in the early game.
I think this list has some decent potential and should see a nice bit of action in the process.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I must say that you've inspired me to try this, but I'm going to have to pick raven guard tactics for the scout move. I'm also going to max out dev squads when I do it for the long range covering fire. I just know I bring a bunch of anti-tank. I'd love to see the sick look on my opponents face when his anti-tank is almost worthless and most of hist anti-horde just won't hit hard enough.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Not to mention, then can always shoot at ground units if need be.
Alas, but only with Snap Shots unless it's a skimmer. Brutal change from 6th to 7th for anything with Skyfire in my opinion.

How do you like Savant Lock? I always thought that was a cool rule, but don't own the tank. I either completely ignore fliers or take a Stormraven or two....or Mortis Dreadnoughts if I'm using my Deathwing army.

As for the list, while I like the Hunter and Stalker ideas I think you'd do better ignoring fliers and putting in just about anything else with two feet and hands that shoot guns you want. It comes back to the Snap Shots at anything other than flying things or skimmers....they're just super limited if you're not facing a lot of those types of units (I'm looking at you, Tau, Necrons, and [Dark] Eldar).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I must say that you've inspired me to try this, but I'm going to have to pick raven guard tactics for the scout move. I'm also going to max out dev squads when I do it for the long range covering fire. I just know I bring a bunch of anti-tank. I'd love to see the sick look on my opponents face when his anti-tank is almost worthless and most of hist anti-horde just won't hit hard enough.
Do what you like, just have fun with it. Seeing people's reaction is simply half the fun.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alas, but only with Snap Shots unless it's a skimmer. Brutal change from 6th to 7th for anything with Skyfire in my opinion.

How do you like Savant Lock? I always thought that was a cool rule, but don't own the tank. I either completely ignore fliers or take a Stormraven or two....or Mortis Dreadnoughts if I'm using my Deathwing army.

As for the list, while I like the Hunter and Stalker ideas I think you'd do better ignoring fliers and putting in just about anything else with two feet and hands that shoot guns you want. It comes back to the Snap Shots at anything other than flying things or skimmers....they're just super limited if you're not facing a lot of those types of units (I'm looking at you, Tau, Necrons, and [Dark] Eldar).
Granted, but, they can still fire at ground units and Skyfire doesn't prevent that.
Savant Lock is nice and is handy, yet, situational in my experience so far.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Granted, but, they can still fire at ground units and Skyfire doesn't prevent that.
Yeah, hitting on 6's against most of the enemy's army ain't my bag. They're pretty darn inexpensive though I'll give them that, the two of them together are as much as a Mortis with TLLC's. While the Dreadnought is more effective at getting the job done for armour, two targets are harder to put down than one.

Love to hear how it goes with this list at the tournament, I feel like a lot of people won't be able to deal with this many marines on the other side of the table. With the changes to the BA Codex (and subsequently my list building) I have noticed a lot more bodies on my battlefields, the other day I played almost 50 infantry models! I thought of your recent armies while I crushed the traitor marines :drinks:

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, hitting on 6's against most of the enemy's army ain't my bag. They're pretty darn inexpensive though I'll give them that, the two of them together are as much as a Mortis with TLLC's. While the Dreadnought is more effective at getting the job done for armour, two targets are harder to put down than one.

Love to hear how it goes with this list at the tournament, I feel like a lot of people won't be able to deal with this many marines on the other side of the table. With the changes to the BA Codex (and subsequently my list building) I have noticed a lot more bodies on my battlefields, the other day I played almost 50 infantry models! I thought of your recent armies while I crushed the traitor marines :drinks:
That sounds awesome!

Yeah, I've noticed that as I up the body count they opponent usually has a look of confusion as I'm setting things up, typically followed by asking to see my list, then resigning to the idea that I'm not playing anything unbound and that you can field a ton of Marines very easily. My 2K games usually has people rolling eyes as I set up the squads after they've thrown down all of their models during deployment.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a lot of marines! Nice thing about it too is when positioned right there won't be much you can't see.
Exactly, this allows me to try an position certain squads for certain targets. An opponent drops something nice with armour and treads, then a Melta Squad will go for the interception, if its the only one and a big threat then both Melta Squads may take it on.
The Heavy Bolter/Plasmagun squads typically make dents in infantry and fall back as need be. I may be able to shoot down a mob of Boyz or a swarm of "X" 'Nids, but, I'm not willing to let then get swarmed in close combat.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Im considering running a similar list to this in a 3000point apocalypse game. Getting around 2000points of footsloggers up field causing mayhem. I think with every foot unit I own it would be slightly larger than a full company of marines, even with armoured support, including predators and vindicators. would you consider running this kind of list for such a large game?

I would bring a knight or two to absorb some firepower (unless they are D-strength weapons, in which case they can go bye bye after just one shot!)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
A thought just occurred to me:

My buddy pretty much plays this list (with some differences but this many bodies anyway) and it has never even stood a chance against my Imperial Guard army's tanks. So much so that in the interest of fun gaming I have stopped using them against him unless he talks smack. Then the tanks crush him mercilessly.

Point being, your only long range anti tank is the LCs, which are relatively easy for artillery to take out even with the meat shield. Tread cautiously against such a foe.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
How about with land raiders. (Possibly terminus ultra) in a pack as anti-tank? Maybe even some drop prodding sternguard combi melta units to take out heavy support elements with massed melta hits?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Love to hear how it goes with this list at the tournament, I feel like a lot of people won't be able to deal with this many marines on the other side of the table. With the changes to the BA Codex (and subsequently my list building) I have noticed a lot more bodies on my battlefields, the other day I played almost 50 infantry models! I thought of your recent armies while I crushed the traitor marines
What are your BA armies looking like? I've got a shelf that is overflowing with BA models but the new codex, while not completely terrible, has completely changed the feel of the army for me and my 70 jump packs and 40 footslogging assault marines seem to be doomed to sit in exile. I never even ran a tactical squad before. I can always borrow from my iron hands successor chapter who have a similar paint scheme to my BA successor (I never paint codex colors) or my ultramarines that I never use. I have converted two marines with heavy flamers I had from IG that look pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im considering running a similar list to this in a 3000point apocalypse game. Getting around 2000points of footsloggers up field causing mayhem. I think with every foot unit I own it would be slightly larger than a full company of marines, even with armoured support, including predators and vindicators. would you consider running this kind of list for such a large game?

I would bring a knight or two to absorb some firepower (unless they are D-strength weapons, in which case they can go bye bye after just one shot!)
How about with land raiders. (Possibly terminus ultra) in a pack as anti-tank? Maybe even some drop prodding sternguard combi melta units to take out heavy support elements with massed melta hits?
Well, I don't know about adding a Landraider Terminus Ultra or Knight Titans. I would probably look to filling out the rest of the Elite slots with more Sternguard, and the Fast with Bike Squads that have Gravguns, Melta Bombs and and Multi Melta for heavy armour and Monstrous Creatures. On the Heavy slots I'd look into a Missile Launcher Dev Squad and a Vindicator. Lastly, I would try and work a Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer in the second HQ slot. But, that's me at 3K.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A thought just occurred to me:

My buddy pretty much plays this list (with some differences but this many bodies anyway) and it has never even stood a chance against my Imperial Guard army's tanks. So much so that in the interest of fun gaming I have stopped using them against him unless he talks smack. Then the tanks crush him mercilessly.

Point being, your only long range anti tank is the LCs, which are relatively easy for artillery to take out even with the meat shield. Tread cautiously against such a foe.
This has occurred to me too, which is why deployment and cover will figure heavily into things. Pie plates like a Vindicator shine when confronted with IG that sit and throw Flashlight Death your direction. I'm certain it could get in range and cut a swathe in the crowd before its taken down. But, that would require cutting the Lascannon Devastators and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

What are your BA armies looking like? I've got a shelf that is overflowing with BA models but the new codex, while not completely terrible, has completely changed the feel of the army for me and my 70 jump packs and 40 footslogging assault marines seem to be doomed to sit in exile. I never even ran a tactical squad before. I can always borrow from my iron hands successor chapter who have a similar paint scheme to my BA successor (I never paint codex colors) or my ultramarines that I never use. I have converted two marines with heavy flamers I had from IG that look pretty cool.
If you could post a link to your current list that's in this army section, that'd be awesome! I'd like to see it too.:grin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts