Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've just got the codex today and added what I have available plus some additional stuff I intend to get like a Valkyrie and the Command Squads, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. I have more Scions if needs be, have like 30 of the old kasrkin models.

HQ
Company Command Squad - Vox Caster / Regimental Standard / Carapace Armour / Bolt Pistol - 94
Commissar (with Scions) - Boltgun - 25

Troops
Platoon Command Squad - Vox Caster / Platoon Standard / 2 Meltaguns - 65
Infantry Squad - Vox Caster / Missile Launcher / Grenade Launcher - 75

Platoon Command Squad - Vox Caster / Platoon Standard / 2 Plasma guns - 75

Heavy Weapons Squad - 3 Lascannons - 105

Elites
Tempestus Scions (x10) - 2 Meltaguns / Vox Caster - 155

Fast Attack
Valkyrie - Lascannon / Heavy Bolter Sponsons - 155

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Executioner - Plasma Cannon Sponsons / Lascannon - 195
Leman Russ Demolisher - Heavy Bolter - 170
Leman Russ Battle Cannon - Lascannon - 160

Total - 1499

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'd say the Executioner and the Battle Tank don't need Lascannon upgrades, and I would use those points to play a Vendetta instead of a Valkyrie. Not the best suggestion if you're intending on playing the Scion/Commissar combo out of the Vendetta, but Valkyries are pretty lame anti air.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say the Executioner and the Battle Tank don't need Lascannon upgrades, and I would use those points to play a Vendetta instead of a Valkyrie. Not the best suggestion if you're intending on playing the Scion/Commissar combo out of the Vendetta, but Valkyries are pretty lame anti air.
Yeah the Valkyrie was intended to carry the 10 scions and commissar, drop it down, pop some vehicles and capture backfield objectives. I've altered the list after some advice and have 85 points free to spend now.

HQ
Company Command Squad - Vox Caster / Regimental Standard / Carapace Armour / Bolt Pistol / 2 Plasma guns - 124
Commissar (with Scions) - Boltgun - 25

Troops
Platoon Command Squad - 2 Meltaguns - 50
Infantry Squad - Missile Launcher / Grenade Launcher - 70

Platoon Command Squad - 2 Plasma guns - 60

Elites
Tempestus Scions (x10) - 2 Meltaguns / Vox Caster - 155

Fast Attack
Valkyrie - Multiple Rocket Pods / Multi-Laser - 135

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Exterminator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons / Lascannon - 160
Leman Russ Battle Cannon - Heavy flamer - 150

Total - 1415

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You could take Pask as an HQ choice and move the Exterminator and Demolisher out of the Heavy Support selection, he'd give Rending or Re-Rolls To-Hit respectively. Make those tanks that much more effective, though him in a Punisher is a bit more daunting than him in an Exterminator. Plus with Gunners, Kill on Sight! you can keep them targeting separately pending some Leadership tests.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You could take Pask as an HQ choice and move the Exterminator and Demolisher out of the Heavy Support selection, he'd give Rending or Re-Rolls To-Hit respectively. Make those tanks that much more effective, though him in a Punisher is a bit more daunting than him in an Exterminator. Plus with Gunners, Kill on Sight! you can keep them targeting separately pending some Leadership tests.
What do you think of this?

HQ
Company Command Squad - Regimental Standard / Carapace Armour for Commander / 2 Plasma guns - 110

Leman Russ Vanquisher - Lascannon / Tank Commander Pask- 215
Leman Russ Exterminator - Heavy Bolter Sponsons / Lascannon - 160

Troops
Platoon Command Squad - 2 Meltaguns - 50

Platoon Command Squad - 2 Plasma guns - 60

Elites
Tempestus Scions (x5) - 2 Meltaguns - 90
Tempestus Scions (x5) - 2 Meltaguns - 90

Fast Attack
Vendetta - 170

Heavy Support

Total - 1500

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You got rid of the Scion/Commissar/Valkyrie thing! I'm surprised, though truly three twin linked lascannon shots can bring down just about any flier. AP2 is way more important now, you should have seen how many Krak missiles it took me to take down a friggin' Rhino the other game. That being said, now the second squad doesn't have a speedy deployment and sticks out a bit to me in a tactical sense since Melta Guns are such short range weaponry. Pask is a fun time, I think you'll enjoy him in the new rule set. You have a ton of anti armour in Pask, the Vendetta, and the various Meltas around, I would ask if you really still need the three man Lascannon team or if there's something else in your collection you could see having a bit of fun with? Heck, maybe it's even just putting the other Scion squad in a Chimera and adding Fire Barrels to your Leman Russ's...or maybe you just face a ton of armour and Monstrous Creatures.

Either way I like this third list more than the other two, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cool :) Yeah I haven't got anything to replace the heavy weapon squad with unfortunately.

I was just going to deep strike the scions, I really don't know what the benefit is over putting them in a transport to be honest aside from redeployment? I tend to face a lot of various mech lists like dark eldar and eldar with wraithknights etc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I don't know why I forgot about DSing Scions. My buddy used to do that with Plasma equipped Stormtroopers and it never failed to throw a wrench in my gears, using Meltas will be very effective barring bad scatters. Do you come up against many Psykers in your games? I would suggest trying out an Inquisitor in a game with ML1 and some Servo Skulls to help out an Infantry Platoon (Pyromancy has some good squad defense spells at WC1), but if you're going up against a heavy or even moderate Psychic presence you'll never get a spell off with only one Mastery Level. Either way, it could be fun to try and play-test that unit over your HWT some time and with the spare points you could kit your tanks with Fire Barrels as a deterrent to your Dark Eldar opponent charging your vehicles with small units. Another option would be to include a Flamer equipped Special Weapons Team inside the Vendetta for late-game Objective grabs with that sweet sweet Objective Secured rule, but that would leave a somewhat large points gap and is a bit harder to come up with if you don't have the models than a lone Inquisitor with some bases that 'have' Servo Skulls on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts