Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never tried a drop pod assault list so I'm thinking for my new chapter of going with it, this is the list I've come up with so far.

HQ
Tigurius - 165
Captain - Storm Bolter / Power Fist / Artificer - 150

Troops
Tactical Squad (x9) - Plasma Gun / Combi Plasma - 161
Drop Pod - Locator Beacon - 45

Tactical Squad (x9) - Flamer / Combi Flamer - 151
Drop Pod - 35

Elites
Sternguard (x5) - 5 Combi-Melta - 170
Drop pod - 35

Ironclad - Storm bolter / Melta Gun - 135

Heavy Support
Stormraven Gunship - twin linked lascannon / twin linked multi melta - 200

Total - 1498

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Personnally I feel the flyer doesn't belong in the list if your going for a dp list.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Personnally I feel the flyer doesn't belong in the list if your going for a dp list.
I use a pair of fliers in my Drop Pod list and call it a 100% reserve list instead, Stormravens and Drop Pods all friggin' day with my Blood Angel army. May not be a full Drop Pod list....but yeah. On to more constructive thoughts:

Couple questions for the list,

What is the purpose of the Captain?

I have done both the Melta and (flame) Template Drop Pods, but by putting the Beacons on the Plasma Pods I assume they are coming in first. Is this because you face a lot of stuff you need Plasma for T1?

Personally I would drop the Captain for a full Sternguard, swap the Ironclad so it has two Heavy Flamers for when it comes in, and swap a Beacon to the Sternguard Pod so they're coming in T1. Seeing the strongest piece of armour melt away before it gets to shoot is always rewarding, and with Special Issue Ammo you remain versatile even if there isn't anything with an AV to melt. Also, remember your Pods for the Tactical squads have Objective Secured. Super handy, but I have forgotten at time of deployment a time or two.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put the captain in for a bit of close combat support if things get to close but also because I converted a model I really like.

I'm dropping the plasma in first because I'm planning on using the ultramarine tactic to reroll misses to try and mitigate the overheating, so it's better if they all come in at the same time. I don't face many tough vehicles, it's mostly skimmers and light vehicles, but there's also the occasional squad of tough units like wraithknights, riptides etc.

As for the Stormraven I figured after a drop pod assault support would arrive in the form of aircraft.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I put the captain in for a bit of close combat support if things get to close but also because I converted a model I really like.
I recently (see also: temporarily) stopped playing a Captain model that I spent days converting and painting because of the Psychic Phase. As the lone CC unit in your army he will be in over his head the moment he gets into base contact because his squad is going to fold even if he wins the Challenge he invariably will be in. If you had him in a CC unit doing CC things I could get behind that but as is: I feel like you could spend your points elsewhere to make your shooting shootier. Hell, you could take another ML2 Psyker and put a couple more SG in the squad and make them something else entirely on the battlefield. Tigger is ML3, isn't he?

I'm dropping the plasma in first because I'm planning on using the ultramarine tactic to reroll misses to try and mitigate the overheating, so it's better if they all come in at the same time.
Ah! That makes sense.

As for the Stormraven I figured after a drop pod assault support would arrive in the form of aircraft.
Go forth and enjoy. My SR of the same loadout has been integral in my fight for air supremacy. Played right (and with a bit of luck) I have been able to take down a lot with mine, including a pair of pesky Heldrakes that I face all the time.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently (see also: temporarily) stopped playing a Captain model that I spent days converting and painting because of the Psychic Phase. As the lone CC unit in your army he will be in over his head the moment he gets into base contact because his squad is going to fold even if he wins the Challenge he invariably will be in. If you had him in a CC unit doing CC things I could get behind that but as is: I feel like you could spend your points elsewhere to make your shooting shootier. Hell, you could take another ML2 Psyker and put a couple more SG in the squad and make them something else entirely on the battlefield. Tigger is ML3, isn't he?

Ah! That makes sense.

Go forth and enjoy. My SR of the same loadout has been integral in my fight for air supremacy. Played right (and with a bit of luck) I have been able to take down a lot with mine, including a pair of pesky Heldrakes that I face all the time.

Yeah I'll drop him and perhaps add more sternguard, I would like to use him sometime though, if I were to give him a CC unit what do you suggest?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
if I were to give him a CC unit what do you suggest?
Command Squad with Storm Shields/whatever CCWs float your boat, though to be fair I'd peel the Stormbolter off and replace it with a Lightning Claw. It pains me to see Captains having the highest Initiative out of the SM collection (barring Unique Characters) slowed down by Terminators/Terminator armour when it comes time to pull off a Sweeping Advance. Personally I would love to play a FistiClaw Captain with Command squad kitted 5x SS, 2x MG, 3x PS in a Drop Pod, but that's not necessarily the squad that would work for you.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I've altered my list a bit, I removed the captain and replaced him with a venerable dread sporting a multi melta. I'm now not sure how to split the force up during first turn and second turn drops, do I drop the venerable in first or should I leave it for second turn and allow the Ironclad to take the first turn of punishment? However my main opponent tends to be dark eldar and he uses the wargear that reduces your range, so I'm thinking the multi melta maybe better suited at taking out something in the first turn as opposed to the melta gun which with the -6" range may not even be able to fire anything, plus if the ironclad came in on the second turn he could use his flamer on any units I've got out of their vehicles in the previous turn and it may give him cover so he can charge next turn.

HQ
Tigurius - 165

Troops
Drop Pod - 35

Drop Pod - Locator Beacon - 35

Tactical Squad (x9) - Flamer / Combi Flamer - 151
Drop Pod - 35

Elites
Sternguard (x5) - 5 Combi-Melta - 170
Drop pod - 35

Ironclad - Heavy Flamer / Melta Gun - 145
Drop Pod - 35

Venerable Dreadnought - Multi Melta - 125
Drop Pod - 35

Heavy Support
Stormraven Gunship - twin linked lascannon / twin linked multi melta - 200

Total - 1498

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm now not sure how to split the force up during first turn and second turn drops, do I drop the venerable in first or should I leave it for second turn and allow the Ironclad to take the first turn of punishment?
To answer your question, I look to the SM Codex. Relevance in bold:

At the beginning of your first turn, choose
half of your Drop Pods (rounding up) to make a Drop Pod
Assault.
I always wait until I see what I'm up against to make that decision.

The list looks solid, though I still think that dual Heavy Flamers on the Ironclad is going to net you better results. I've played my Furiosos the way you have him and I gotta say, when I switched to the all-template variant I got way more stuff done with them. The Venerable dreadnought sticks out to me, but I'm not sure what I would replace it with that would be any better.

Have you given any thought to what Discipline you were going to go with for Tigurius?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
To answer your question, I look to the SM Codex. Relevance in bold:

I always wait until I see what I'm up against to make that decision.

The list looks solid, though I still think that dual Heavy Flamers on the Ironclad is going to net you better results. I've played my Furiosos the way you have him and I gotta say, when I switched to the all-template variant I got way more stuff done with them. The Venerable dreadnought sticks out to me, but I'm not sure what I would replace it with that would be any better.

Have you given any thought to what Discipline you were going to go with for Tigurius?
I have 6 drop pods in total now, I know I'll be dropping in my two plasma squads first, it's just which of the dreads would be most useful to support the first wave, I'm leaning more towards the venerable atm.

I guess I could swap the meltagun off him now and give him the flamer, I originally put the melta on him because I was worried I lacked some fire power but now I guess that's not a problem. I added the venerable for some additional anti tank and since the multi melta on a dread is not twin linked I figured hitting on 2s was well worth it.

As for Tigurius I was thinking of divination since rerolls to hit are always useful, but also the ignore cover would be invaluable against my common foe of Eldar. I dunno if I should split his powers between disciplines though, I'm not that use to using them in armies.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm leaning more towards the venerable atm.
I guess I could swap the meltagun off him now and give him the flamer
So long as you have an armoured foe I would agree, but if there's infantry abound I'd definitely drop the Ironclad with 2x HF in the first wave. My logic for the weapon swap is that if you're close enough to Melta a target, you can charge it and use your PFs to have more chances of success. If you're closer to an Infantry unit doubling your template hits is always a good idea against basically anything. Even TEQ fail armour saves when they roll enough dice, it just seems like a very useless weapon even if you didn't have two other Multi Meltas and five combi-meltas.

I added the venerable for some additional anti tank and since the multi melta on a dread is not twin linked I figured hitting on 2s was well worth it.
Yeah, I have nothing to suggest to take its place. It's a solid unit and fits the theme.

As for Tigurius I was thinking of divination since rerolls to hit are always useful, but also the ignore cover would be invaluable against my common foe of Eldar. I dunno if I should split his powers between disciplines though, I'm not that use to using them in armies.
Tigurius is with the Sternguard, right? Perfect Timing kinda does the same thing that their Special Ammo does, but can apply to their Meltas which is super nice. That's likely the best option, though I do enjoy me a good Biomancy roll from time to time.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So long as you have an armoured foe I would agree, but if there's infantry abound I'd definitely drop the Ironclad with 2x HF in the first wave. My logic for the weapon swap is that if you're close enough to Melta a target, you can charge it and use your PFs to have more chances of success. If you're closer to an Infantry unit doubling your template hits is always a good idea against basically anything. Even TEQ fail armour saves when they roll enough dice, it just seems like a very useless weapon even if you didn't have two other Multi Meltas and five combi-meltas.

Yeah, I have nothing to suggest to take its place. It's a solid unit and fits the theme.

Tigurius is with the Sternguard, right? Perfect Timing kinda does the same thing that their Special Ammo does, but can apply to their Meltas which is super nice. That's likely the best option, though I do enjoy me a good Biomancy roll from time to time.
Was planning on putting him with one of the normal infantry units and bringing him down in the opening turn, however I suppose I could bring down down in the second turn in the Sternguard Squad and perhaps use his storm of wrath warlord trait to bolster their combi melta shot and as you said with the ignore cover power that would be even deadlier vs skimmers.

He doesn't necessarily need to be down on the first turn I guess since I'll be using the ultramarine chapter tactic during the first turn so every unit gets to reroll hits, hopefully next turn he'll come in and use the warlord trait and perhaps cast prescience on a unit that needs it.

So yeah I may change my mind and have him drop in with the sternguard, perhaps if I get the invulnerable save psychic power that will give them a bit more stability.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Was planning on putting him with one of the normal infantry units and bringing him down in the opening turn
I just realized those were all 9 man squads and that would work :laugh: Figured that the SG squad was the only place he could go.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I think certainly if you're going to go Venerable then the MM is the best option - you waste his BS5 by giving him a Template weapon. I would also suggest an Autocannon for his second arm if you can convert one up or grab one from Forgeworld since you're facing Dark Eldar, and they really don't like Autocannons at all.

My personal opinion would be to make the Tac squads 5 men (thus allowing you to buy more units with the points saved) or to make them 10 man with a Heavy, then combat squad them so 4 + Heavy deploy in cover, and 3 + Sarge + Special Pod in T1, and gives you room for Tiggy with whoever you like. I certainly don't think the Beacon is necessary since the only things you are going to be DS-ing are Pods, and they are already immune to Mishaps and scatter minimally, so I'd spend the points elsewhere. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts