Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bring on the death and carnage!!!
Friend is taking on the role of CSM objective holders while my daemons are there to run up the board and spill some blood.

Primary Detachment (CSM): 932pts
HQ:
Chaos Lord
-Mark of Khorne
-Juggernaught
-Axe of Blind Fury
-Sigil of Corruption

Troops:
Chaos Space Marines (x10)
-2x Flamers

-2x Flamers

Fast Attack:
Heldrake

Chaos Spawn (x4)
-Mark of Khorne

Heavy Support:
Obliterator
-Mark of Nurgle

Obliterator
-Mark of Nurgle

Allied Detachment (Daemons): 565pts
HQ:
Herald of Khorne
-1x Lesser Reward (Axe of Khorne)

Troops:
Bloodletters (x14)
-Bloodreaper
-Lesser reward (Axe of Khorne)

Bloodletters (x15)
-Bloodreaper

Heavy Support:
Soulgrinder
-Daemon of Nurgle
-Phelgm bombardment

A team up of nurgle and Khorne with no horrible warp storm table (still sore at the loss of my army due to a double 1, curse my bad dice rolling!!!)

Hope most of the tactics are perfectly clear. The bit I ain't happy with is the Lord and spawn, but my friend insists they "Kick ass". I like spawn this edition, don't get me wrong, but jeez that unit is just asking to be blasted to pieces.

For my part wondering whether to swap out a unit of letters and the herald for Karanak and some hounds, I've had good luck with them recently, but with little movable troop choices, I'm not sure if that's a good idea (sure letters shouldn't be camping on objectives anyway, but you know what I mean).

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Keep in mind that Karanak doesn't have to be in a unit of Hounds--he could join a unit of Bloodletters and Scout them a mere 6", rather than the full 12". He is, after all, just another Herald, albeit in Beast form.

My local FLGS has ruled that you may not take Heralds in allied contingents, since the entry says "you may take 1-4 Heralds in your Primary Detachment as a single HQ choice" but doesn't mention any other type of detachment, so a) I envy you still able to do such and b) be forewarned that some people may try to pull that on you.

I think you can drop the MoK from the Spawn if you're scrounging for points. They're there to act as ablative wounds, anyways. It's a pretty tough unit, all told, though I do prefer my Bikers to Spawn.

I'd consider dropping one of the CSM units to 5 models and/or putting a 10 man cultist squad in its place, to have a cheap rear-field objective hugger while everything else sprints forward.

Are the CSM equipped with bolters or have they swapped for CCWs (to complement their special weapons and the list type)? Does the Heldrake have a baleflamer or HAC? Are you deep striking any of the Bloodletter squads?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers for the reply.
Yes I had considered karanak with letters, but I feel that it takes away the best part of him which is that he's a beast. That's why I mentioned hounds, its not because I think he has to go with them, just feel he's better off.

Yes, I have read some interesting topics and listened in to some conversations about it. My local has passed verdict so keeping up with it while I can. If this was the case however, what would you suggest being the better HQ for this list? I feel my thirster is just too much of point sink, so considered maybe investing in a Keeper or GUO.

Yes, realised I forgot to actually say what models were taking and about deepstrike! My bad!!!

But last night after posting we had a bit of a rethink and came up with the following. Do you think this is better or worse than previous?

HQ:
Huron Blackheart

Troops:
-CCW (swapping for bolters)
-2x Flamers

-2x Meltaguns
-Rhino

Fast Attack:
Heldrake
-Baleflamer

Bikers (x3)
-Mark of Nurgle
-2x Meltaguns
-Meltabombs

Heavy Support:
Obliterator
-Mark of Nurgle

Obliterator
-Mark of Nurgle

Allied Detachment (Daemons):
HQ:
Herald of Nurgle
-Mastery Level 2 (1 Biomancy, 1 plague power)
-Locus of Fecundity

Troops:
Bloodletters (x15)
-Bloodreaper

Plague Bearers (x10)

Heavy Support:
Soulgrinder
-Daemon of Nurgle
-Phelgm bombardment

You mentioned we hadn't got a cheap backfield objective holder, how about a medium/fairly costly one :)

So yeah, Huron outflanks the letters and himself with the flamer (assuming I roll to outflank two or just hurons units and deepstrike the letters).
Herald with PB sit on an objective in cover and laugh.
Rhino transports the CSM as far as it will carry them before going up in flames, them hopefully getting to an objective.
Grinder, Oblits and Heldrake work their magic.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I like it. Huron is gold when paired with Daemons allies for the sheer in-your-faceness of the list you end up with; it's something I've been playing with (a maxed out Slaaneshi allied contingent, basically, plus Huron and minimal CSM).

I assume just 3 bikers, but without points or numbers, that's only an assumption. Not that it changes my opinion on the list/unit/whatever.

The Plague and Biomancy powers are generally quite short range, so I'd be tempted to drop the ML2 in favor of, hmm, buying CCWs for the two CSM squads so they have all three weapons. Or a second Rhino (you'd have to drop a flamer from the unit, though Huron's heavy flamer helps make up for that). Or something.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn my inability to remember things! Sorry Mossy, messing you about!

Yeah 3 bikers.

Hmm, I can see your point about the powers. I've seen plague powers in action and found them curious, wanted to try them out myself. Great way to stump the enemy going in for the 'easy' kill.

How about dropping down to ML1 (free up 25pts), and a flamer marine (18pts) and then go for the extra rhino for huron's unit. Leaves us 8pts to play with...err...meltabomb or upgrade the flamer to a melta I suppose?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Sounds good! For the 8 points, I'd go with meltabombs or buying 4 CCWs to keep a few bolters for flexibility. In either unit, really--perhaps they'd go better in the melta unit, honestly. Or a dirge caster, since Overwatch prevention is so nice... though you can in no way expect the Rhinos to survive long enough to provide it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts