Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First fully mechanized list (!!!! :grin:)

HQ
Company Command Squad
Carapace Armor
2x Plasma guns
Chimera
155 points

Troops
Veteran Squad
Grenadiers specialization
3x Plasma guns
Chimera
200 points

Veteran Squad
3x Plasma guns
Chimera
200 points

Veteran Squad
Demolitions specialization
3x Melta guns
Chimera
215 points

Fast Attack
Armored Sentinel Squadron
3x Lascannons
210 points

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Sqaudron
1x Battle Tank
150 points

Leman Russ Squadron
1x Battle Tank
150 points

Leman Russ Squadron
1x Battle Tank
150 points

Grand total: 1430
I'm also on the fence about taking Marbo, which would raise it to 1495 points

Two plasma gun squads would take mid range objectives, melta squad would be forward or attacking high value targets. Leman Russ would be firing at threats and providing area denial. Company Command would be providing support where needed, and the Sentinels would be firing at vehicles and monstrous creatures.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can't go wrong with Marbo. And nice to see someone taking a sentinel squadron. Their lascannons have enough range for you to keep them back and out of too much harms way. I don't have my codex in front of me, but do regular sentinels have the ability to take lascannons? If so, it might be a nice mind game to play on your opponent as they worry about 3 lascannons outflanking.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sentinels fit in well with the mechanized style, being basically armored Heavy Weapon Squads :)

Scout Sentinels can take Lascannons yes, and they get the Scout and Move Through Cover USR. The only difference is Armored Sentinels cost 20 points more and that gives you AV12 front instead of AV 10.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Im a bit iffy on all the 4+ armor. They make your guys more survivable, but just costs so dam much to outfit a whole army. All of it comes in at what, 110 for the armor.
Also I wonder if scout sentinels would be better. Hide them in cover, outflank for the side shots like Tautara mentioned.
Drop all the 4+ shirts, armor off the sentinels, and take marbo. Leaves you with 175 points, enough for another vets squad, and honestly more bodies might be the way to go. Guard is guard. Maybe its just my luck at rolling but a 4+ isnt much different than a 5+, and our bodies die in the droves

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im a bit iffy on all the 4+ armor. They make your guys more survivable, but just costs so dam much to outfit a whole army. All of it comes in at what, 110 for the armor.
Also I wonder if scout sentinels would be better. Hide them in cover, outflank for the side shots like Tautara mentioned.
Drop all the 4+ shirts, armor off the sentinels, and take marbo. Leaves you with 175 points, enough for another vets squad, and honestly more bodies might be the way to go. Guard is guard. Maybe its just my luck at rolling but a 4+ isnt much different than a 5+, and our bodies die in the droves
The regiment-wide carapace armor is fluffy for them, they're a well trained and well equipped highly mobile strike force. Also I only have enough Chimeras for three veteran squads in addition to the Company Command Squad (for a total of four Chimeras), so taking another one isn't really possible. I could take another Leman Russ. maybe an Executioner.

Here's another list:
HQ
Company Command Squad
Carapace Armor
2x Plasma guns
Chimera
135 points

Troops
Veteran Squad
3x Plasma guns
Chimera
200 points

Veteran Squad
3x Plasma guns
Chimera
200 points

Veteran Squad
3x Melta guns
Chimera
185 points

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel Squadron
3x Lascannons
150 points

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Sqaudron
1x Battle Tank
150 points

Leman Russ Squadron
2x Battle Tank
300 points

Leman Russ Squadron
1x Battle Tank
150 points

Total: 1470 points

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
This I like more. But the plasma vets could stay with carapace. the meltas are good with the demo doctrine, instead. 4 leman russes are going to kick asses

·
Registered
936 Posts
I like your second list.

But if the first one was for fluff, then it works just fine.
An Executioner wouldn't be bad although how bad do you think you need long range AP2? You have plenty of short and mid range guns for that.

How strict are you with keeping it mech? Fliers out? Stormtrooper support or even marbo?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like your second list.

But if the first one was for fluff, then it works just fine.
An Executioner wouldn't be bad although how bad do you think you need long range AP2? You have plenty of short and mid range guns for that.
My primary opponent plays Eldar and occasionally the Iyanden supplement (so plenty of wraithbone constructs). The traditional battle cannons are more than enough for this most of the time, it's just that you get more shots with the Executioner, even if they aren't large blast.

How strict are you with keeping it mech? Fliers out? Stormtrooper support or even marbo?
Fliers aren't out, I just don't have any haha Stormtroopers would be fine, same as Marbo, if I had them.

This I like more. But the plasma vets could stay with carapace. the meltas are good with the demo doctrine, instead. 4 leman russes are going to kick asses
Four Leman Russes are awesome when on the field :) The Meltas got the Demolitions spec because (surprise!) they have to get close to use their guns, so they might as well bring a large blast S8 AP2 surprise when they're that close haha

·
Registered
936 Posts
I sure do love me some explosives :laugh:
Executioner is up to you. If does put out a fair amount of shots, great for the wraithlords and wraithknights. But If he only runs one or two I would almost stick with bombarding them with the russes i no other targets are open and gang them with the vets, vets shouldnt have a big issue dealing with them,

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
One thing you could do is drop the LCs to ACs on the sentinels for -30 points (they're gonna die, may as well keep em cheap), because then you only need 5 points for marbo. You could grab that from messing with some special weapons, dropping a demolitions and adding some other shit, whatever you want man. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing you could do is drop the LCs to ACs on the sentinels for -30 points (they're gonna die, may as well keep em cheap), because then you only need 5 points for marbo. You could grab that from messing with some special weapons, dropping a demolitions and adding some other shit, whatever you want man. Just an idea.
I'd be going up against T7 or T8 most of the time, so that's what the Sentinels would be focusing on. Marbo will have to find his way into another list I guess haha Poor bastard, I really want to field him at some point. Thanks for your comments :)

I sure do love me some explosives
Executioner is up to you. If does put out a fair amount of shots, great for the wraithlords and wraithknights. But If he only runs one or two I would almost stick with bombarding them with the russes i no other targets are open and gang them with the vets, vets shouldnt have a big issue dealing with them,
Russes it is! I wouldn't have enough for an Executioner anyway, ah well, another time :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
That looks like a really fun list! I need to get around to putting my fourth Russ together... Then, I plan to buy another six! Mwahahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gotta be honest here, my army looks the same as the first with all carapace. Firstly make one of those Leman Russes into an exectioner and it does wonders. Secondly, yes, there are very valid arguments for not taking carapace but I have to point out that a majority of basic weapons are AP 5 these days(bolters, pulse rifles, etc). Dont take stormtroopers, they suck horribly. Those sentinels need to have autocannons badly for the sole reason of a guardsman's OK ballistic skill. Lascannons will statistically get 1 1/2 hits where as autocannons will get 3. If you doubt anything I say look at my battle record.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm really not a big fan of sentinals, It's like a weapons team that costs more, has the same BS and armour that can be glanced (unless it's armoured and then you loose the point of having one) by Str 4 weapons. Have you got any other Mech you can take other than a sentinel.

Just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gotta be honest here, my army looks the same as the first with all carapace. Firstly make one of those Leman Russes into an exectioner and it does wonders. Secondly, yes, there are very valid arguments for not taking carapace but I have to point out that a majority of basic weapons are AP 5 these days(bolters, pulse rifles, etc). Dont take stormtroopers, they suck horribly. Those sentinels need to have autocannons badly for the sole reason of a guardsman's OK ballistic skill. Lascannons will statistically get 1 1/2 hits where as autocannons will get 3. If you doubt anything I say look at my battle record.
I took the carapace armor originaly because of that AP5 problem, and the fact that my opponent uses Eldar and the Dire Avenger's gun (if I recall correctly) Is AP 5, which shreds them if they're ever out of their transport. He takes a Wraithknight (even on such low point lists, with makes T8 with a 3+ and occasionally a 5++ hard to get rid of), which is why the Sentinels are configured with Lascannons. I'd rather concentrate on it with both a Leman Russ and the Sentinels to crush the bastard before it wrecks something really important.

I'm really not a big fan of sentinals, It's like a weapons team that costs more, has the same BS and armour that can be glanced (unless it's armoured and then you loose the point of having one) by Str 4 weapons. Have you got any other Mech you can take other than a sentinel.

Just a personal opinion.
Nothing else sadly. Since Imperial Guard's being released in a month or two I've stopped buying them until the new releases. Heavy Weapons Squads require a Platoon, and since that's not easily made mech I'll stick with what I've got. I can live with the fact that Sentinels would be shot to hell in a couple of turns, but if they manage to get some wounds off of that Wraithknight then I'd be happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts