Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Looking for a little feedback on a list I've put together to go against a friend who plays Orcs. I don't know exactly what he will be fielding, but I have a general idea of what he's got and as this is my first time up against Orcs I could use a little help tweaking my list. For starters, he could field his Weirdboy, upgraded Boyz, Gretchin, 6 Deff Koptas, Killa Kans, and a Battlewagon with a Wreckin' Ball.

+++ Storm Lords [Iron Hands Chapter Tactics] +++

+ HQ (125pts) +
Terminator Librarian [Force Axe, Storm Shield, Mastery Level 2]

+ Elites (765pts) +
Venerable Dreadnought [Twin Linked Autocannon, Twin Linked Autocannon]
Venerable Dreadnought [Twin Linked Autocannon, Twin Linked Autocannon]
Terminator Assault Squad [4x Space Marine, TH/SS], Terminator Sergeant TH/SS, Land Raider Crusader

+ Troops (360pts) +
Tactical Squad [9x Space Marine, Flamer], Sergeant [Bolt pistol, Chainsword], Rhino
Tactical Squad [9x Space Marine, Flamer], Sergeant [Bolt pistol, Chainsword], Rhino

+ Heavy Support (250pts) +
Vindicator [Extra Armour, Removable Siege Shield]
Vindicator [Extra Armour, Removable Siege Shield]

Let me know what you think. I do have some other things I can field in place of others here if something else would be better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my post experience with Riflemen Dreadnoughts, the Twinlink element is already accurate enough.

Spending another 25/Dreadnought to bump the BS from 4 to 5 seems to be an overkill, and since you already equip them with dual-autocannon, they are unlikely to get into close combat, which further neglect the value of getting the extra WS from being venerable.

But if you really can't find another method to spend that 50 points, by all means stick with venerable.

Other than that, your list looks darn threatening, with 2 squad of flamer marine in Rhino, a Deathstar Assault termy charging forward with Libby inside a Land Raider, and finally, 2 Vindi that prevent aggressive deployment from opponent, I think this list should strike fear to most gun-line army, but will get outmaneuver and out gun by a flyer heavy list.

Reconsider the value of 2 venerable riflemen, as they can be easily turn into 2 Stromtalons that will further make your melee-based list more scarier, and less vulnerable to air attacks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mainly made them Venerable Riflemen for the sake of spending the rest of my available points. I'll eventually get some Stormtalons and swap them in for my Riflemen as they still don't get much love to be cost effective.

I'm not too concerned with any flyer heavy lists yet since everyone I play against has yet to sink cash into flyers (thankfully). My only concern atm is the survivability of the riflemen against PK when /if Orks get close enough to melee them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm sure everyone here is tired of hearing me say it, but I'm a huge fan of the Mortis dreadnought from FW. You can only take one per CAD or Allied Detachment with Codex marines, but man is he worth it. He's only 5 points more than your non venerable rifleman dreadnought build and gains skyfire/interceptor when he doesn't move. If you want to hit ground targets, you can just wiggle him a quarter inch and bam, just like the regular rifleman. And if they're getting CC'd early with a 48" range something has gone terribly wrong. They should have already murdered any trukks or wagons and slowed down the enemy advance. By the time they get caught in combat their job should already be done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's actually a really good idea bringing a Mortis when I need anti-air. I keep forgetting about that pattern.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've started bringing the dual las mortis dreads. My group has a very talented nid player and those flying tyrants are a pain in my ass. If I need to save points I bring the dual missile. Not as acurate, but still high strengh and low enough AP to force him to jink. That and the new damage table hurt the rifleman dread a bit. But those open topped vehicles should still go down pretty easy with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts