Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Here's my first (probably pathetic) attempt at a Beastmen list. This is geared for use in 8th edition. I'm brand new to Fantasy though, so it'd be great if people could explain any shortforms that they use for terms (it took me ages to figure out what AHWs were... :p ).

Characters

Beastlord
1 Beastlord @ 219 pts (General; Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield)
Ogre Club
Uncanny Senses
Gnarled Hide

Basically this guy's job is to hang out in the smaller of the two Gor units and beat on people. I figure that the Initiative boost will help him strike before even elite units and the Ogre Club will let him soften them up nicely. He can also do decently in a Challange with S7 and a 2+ save.

Wargor
1 Wargor (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 116 pts (Primal Fury; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer)

This guy will just try to make himself useful by hanging out in a central area to maximize the effect of the Battle Standard.

Core

Ungor Raiders (5#, 33 pts)
5 Ungor Raiders (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician; Hand Weapon; Short Bow; Skirmishers)

Mostly taken for their incredible cheapness and for trying to knock a model off of target units to decrease the number of ranks they have.

Gor Herd (19#, 167 pts)
19 Gor Herd (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician; Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon)

Gor Herd (20#, 175 pts)
20 Gor Herd (Ambush; Primal Fury; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon)

I'm planning on using the Gors to do the majority of the fighting. They have a decent Toughness

Chaos Warhounds (5#, 30 pts)
5 Chaos Warhounds

Chaos Warhounds (5#, 30 pts)
5 Chaos Warhounds

To be honest I had no idea what else to do with these points so I stuck 'em here. I hear that Warhounds are good screening units which sounds helpful, but with the implementation of True Line of Sight I dunno if they're worth it.

Special

Minotaurs (3#, 219 pts)
3 Minotaurs (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Light Armour)

These guys are basically there just to help out my Gor units with tough targets or units that greatly outnumber them. Ideally the Gors can hold a unit in place long enough for the Minotaurs to line up a nice flank charge.

Total Roster Cost: 989

So, what do you guys think?

Katie D

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
- I'm assuming you're playing or writing for 8th, if youa r eplaying 7th this'll be a little off

Well Im amased that the ungor musician is as cheap as that.. I never even bothered looking when I played beastmen (only for a few games and I borrowed the army).

I really would include a bray-shamen into the list if you are playing 8th- 1 wizard is almost as good as being fully decked out with them. If there is a wargear item that allows you to choose spells then just take a Lv1 with beasts and roll 6 dice each turn at turning yourself into a greater dragon- if you manage it (dont need too much luck) then you've just hit an almost auto-win button, if there isnt then you are still going to be able to power through the 1 or 2 spells your wizard knows against most enemies.

I really dont think the minotaurs will do what you want them to- they have 9 T4 6+AS wounds to get rid of before they are dead... and since they are ASL from the great weapons almost any enemy unit will be able to do a world of hurt to them. I would switch them to AHW or shield (I think they can take either.. cant remember) and make use of their respectable initiative. You'll probably still have the problem of dying way too fast though.

The real problem you have with beastmen is a lack of killy power, and things that have the power dont have the ranks to stop enemies being stubborn, so you have to try to combine gor/ungor units with monsters/characters that can do the damage for them.
The best dealer of damage that I know is a really beardy character. It'll work either from a gorebull or a wargor as its almost all in teh equipment- a gorebull is better but you have to work round the frenzy (but that can be a bonus). Give the character gnarled hide, heavy armour, shield and the helmet of bonus attacks for made armour saves (by friend gives it the beast power giving a bonus attack) and then laugh. Leave him in a unit (not minotaurs for the gorebull- they'll get his frenzy too) and then charge him out alone (unless you are going for a 1 turn break) into the enemy- the gorebull gets D3 impacts, 5-6 attacks at S5, 1 stomp and then all the enemies that can must attack him... and with a 1+/6++ save you should survive almost everything, getting bonus attacks back for each save. Most enemies will be stubborn through the first round but you'll keep getting more and more attacks (especially if you buff him with wild spells) and will very rapidly kill your way through the enemy ranks/unit.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- I'm assuming you're playing or writing for 8th, if youa r eplaying 7th this'll be a little off
Yup, this is my pathetic attempt at making an 8th edition compatible list. :laugh:

Well Im amased that the ungor musician is as cheap as that.. I never even bothered looking when I played beastmen (only for a few games and I borrowed the army).
Yup, only reason I took it.

I really would include a bray-shamen into the list if you are playing 8th- 1 wizard is almost as good as being fully decked out with them. If there is a wargear item that allows you to choose spells then just take a Lv1 with beasts and roll 6 dice each turn at turning yourself into a greater dragon- if you manage it (dont need too much luck) then you've just hit an almost auto-win button, if there isnt then you are still going to be able to power through the 1 or 2 spells your wizard knows against most enemies.
I dunno how I'm going to fit a Bray Shaman in, though. The Beastlord isn't exactly cheap and the Battle Standard Bearer is vital since my units' Leadership is so bad.

I really dont think the minotaurs will do what you want them to- they have 9 T4 6+AS wounds to get rid of before they are dead... and since they are ASL from the great weapons almost any enemy unit will be able to do a world of hurt to them. I would switch them to AHW or shield (I think they can take either.. cant remember) and make use of their respectable initiative. You'll probably still have the problem of dying way too fast though.
Yeah, I see what you mean. *sighs* Stupid Minotaurs have to look so awesome but not be very good. I guess additional hand weapons would be good... more Attacks, after all.
The real problem you have with beastmen is a lack of killy power, and things that have the power dont have the ranks to stop enemies being stubborn, so you have to try to combine gor/ungor units with monsters/characters that can do the damage for them.
The best dealer of damage that I know is a really beardy character. It'll work either from a gorebull or a wargor as its almost all in teh equipment- a gorebull is better but you have to work round the frenzy (but that can be a bonus). Give the character gnarled hide, heavy armour, shield and the helmet of bonus attacks for made armour saves (by friend gives it the beast power giving a bonus attack) and then laugh. Leave him in a unit (not minotaurs for the gorebull- they'll get his frenzy too) and then charge him out alone (unless you are going for a 1 turn break) into the enemy- the gorebull gets D3 impacts, 5-6 attacks at S5, 1 stomp and then all the enemies that can must attack him... and with a 1+/6++ save you should survive almost everything, getting bonus attacks back for each save. Most enemies will be stubborn through the first round but you'll keep getting more and more attacks (especially if you buff him with wild spells) and will very rapidly kill your way through the enemy ranks/unit.
Hm, interesting. Okay, back the drawing board then... :laugh:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yup, new WFB is certinly a massive change... just played a 3k game vs O&G and while I won certain things just had to happen (like suiciding 850pts of my army to take out his BSB- +3 PD is immense). The biggest thing to come out of the game is that hoard units arent that impressive... instead just dump those extra models into ranks. Playing against an army that has 15 ranks of goblins (is was so big we had to bodge it to get it deployed) and 2 ork units that have 7-8 ranks is just silly... but it is a good idea for beastmen.

I think that great blocks of 5 wide ungor might be a great thing to try- have a Ld9 general and a BSB close by and they wont go anywhere for a very long time, regardless who comes at them- if enemies have to kill 30-50 got before the unit will break then you are laughing. It isnt even all that costly to do... of course the next problem is actually winning the fight, and with the drag of the ungor at the front that could be very difficuly, no matter what you throw in the flank... but as tarpits go it'll hold almost everything there for a long time to come.

At 1k I certainly agree that the BSB is probably a better option then a mage- the mage is great and would give you a whole other dimention for very little extra cost but the BSB allows all Ld tests to be rerolled, so will be an awesome addition to pretty much any non-ItP army.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you given thought to Bestigors for the flanking & slaughtering unit?

They seem to be much tougher/ survivable than minos and can fight in ranks as well. I don't recall the points offhand, but I do know that they're cheaper.
*edit* for about the same price as the 3 minos you could get 10 Bestigors and a naked lvl 1 Bray-shaman and have a few points left over.
just tossing it out there *

Granted, they use GW and will strike last, but if they do break units, the "despoiler" rule will really start to kick some arse.
My other suggestion would be some fast moving Centigors who also hit pretty hard and are on par w/ minotaurs for 'havoc wreaking abilities'

I like the use of Gors as your standard. Our Core troops are a great price and IMO they are simply amazing for the price. Even the laughable shields now are pretty handy to make these monsters stand up and hold the line.

My plans are for waves of gors and 1 or 2 small blocks roaming around to flank units.
That and frenzied ungor w/ a Gorebull.

I really dig the previous poster's "doombull" layout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts