Wood Elves Redux: Part Deux - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-11, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Default Wood Elves Redux: Part Deux

So I saw Vaz's rehashing of the Wood Elves, and I had a jumble of ideas myself on the matter, so here's my attempt at writing an 8e army book for the forlorn elves of Athel Loren. My reasonings for certain rules will be in orange below the rule in question.

Army Special Rules

Longbows of Loren
Any longbows used by models from AB:WE are resolved at S4 and have the Quick to Fire rule.

Forest Dwellers
All units in AB:WE have the Foreststrider rule. In addition, they treat all types of woods as 'Normal Wood'. If they enter a Mysterious Wood, do not roll to determine its type. Treat it as a Normal Wood, however it is still a Mysterious Wood and will need to be rolled for when a unit without the Forest Dwellers rule enters it.

Wood elves and tree spirits live the vast majority of their lives in the forest, so should be adept enough to avoid any forest perils, such as a Venom Thicket.

Asrai
Models/units with this special rule do not suffer a penalty for shooting at long range. Additionally, any character with this rule gains the Sniper rule.

The 8e rules really nerfed a lot of the things the WE rely on to be effective. This rule makes up for a little of that. The first part is a counter to the increased charge distance, effectively shortening the number of turns the elves have to shoot before combat hits them. This protracted shooting window is compensated by more accurate shooting in the long range. A natural extension of the Wood Elves amazing shooting is that their characters would have even more amazing shooting. While this is demonstrated in a higher BS, giving them Snipers will make them that much more useful and deadly.

Forest Spirits
Units/models with the Forest Spirits rule are Immune to Psychology and Stubborn. Forest Spirit characters may not join non-Forest Spirit units, and non-Forest Spirit characters may not join Forest Spirit units. All attacks made by Forest Spirits count as magical. In addition, Forest Spirit creatures have a Ward save. The value of the save will appear in parentheses after the Forest Spirit rule (e.g. Forest Spirit (5+)).

With magic being as powerful as it is in 8th edition, the forest spirit ward save really needs to be available for magic attacks as well. Additionally, making them stubborn will help them stay in the fight when confronted with rank-n-file blocks of infantry.

Blessing of Athel Loren
At the beginning of the game, roll a D6 for each unit with Blessing of Athel Loren, and consult the table below to
determine the effect. Each of the effects are one use only. When used, they last until the end of the phase.

1 - Use in either the Shooting or Close Combat phase, after attacks are declared at the unit, but before rolls To Hit are made. The unit gains a 5+ Ward save for the remainder of the phase. If the unit already has a Ward save, that save improves by one.
2 - Use in either the Shooting or Close Combat phase, before the unit makes any rolls To Hit. The unit may reroll any failed rolls To Hit for the remainder of the phase.
3 - Use in the Magic phase, when the unit is targeted by a spell. The unit gains Magic Resistance (3) for the remainder of the phase.
4 - Use at the end of any Close Combat phase in which the unit is still engaged in combat. The unit moves 2D6" in the same manner as if they were fleeing. The enemy may not pursue. At the end of this movement, the unit may reform.
5 - Player chooses effect.
6 - Player chooses effect.

This is my answer to the Spites, which will most likely go away in the new book (at least in thier current form). This ought to give the WEs the punch where they need it, but is slightly random, to show the fickle nature of the spites. This rule will probably be a 25 pt upgrade available to almost every unit in the game. They also play a role in the Lore of Athel Loren below.

The Forest Goes to War
The Wood Elf player may place D3+1 forests (max size roughly 6" x 6") within his table half before any models from either side are placed. These woods are always 'Normal Woods'. In schenarios where there are no table halves, place these forests such that at least 50% of the feature's footprint is within 6" of a Wood Elf deployment zone/table edge.

Since forests aren't difficult terrain anymore, its okay to inclue more for the Wood Elf advantage. As will become apparent with the spellcasting, Wood Elves use forests for more than just cover.

The Lore of Athel Loren

Lore Attribute: Forest Spirits
Whenever a spell from the Lore of Athel Loren is successfully cast, select a forest within12" of the caster. One friendly unit within 6" of that forest gains the Blessing of Athel Loren if it does not already have one.

With the magic, I really wanted to get across the feel that the elves are drawing their power from the forest, as well as a sense that the forest itself is as much a part of the battle as the elves are. So many of the spells center around proximity to forest features. The lore attribute ties into what I had mentioned before about the Blessing of Athel Loren. The forest spites are bestowing their powers on the elves nearby.

Signature Spell: Tree Singing (7+)
This spell may be cast on any wood feature within 18" of the caster. If successfully cast, the caster may move the wood D6" in any direction. If a unit is occupying the wood feature, and more than 75% of the unit is within the feature, the unit may choose to move with the feature. If this movement would bring the wood feature into contact with another terrain feature or a unit, the feature will stop 1" away. At the end of this movement, target enemy unit within 3" of the feature suffers D6 S5 hits.

I upped the mobility of the trees slightly as well as made it easier to move forests with units in them. This was mostly due to the increased footprint of skirmishers, as well as the emphasis on larger rank-n-file units in 8th edition. That, combined with the damage component warrented a 7+ to cast.

1. Spirit Form (7+)
Augment. This spell has a range of 18". If successfully cast, target unit becomes Ethereal until the beginning of the next Wood Elf Magic phase. The effect ends at the beginning of any Close Combat phase in which the unit is engaged in close combat. The caster may instead choose to have this effect end at the end of any Close Combat phase in which the unit is engaged in close combat, but the casting value of the spell increases to 18+

The casting level increase of this spell is so much because its effects can be devestating in the right circumstances.

2. The Twilight Host (8+)
Augment. This spell has a range of 18". If successfully cast, the target unit gains Terror until the beginning of the next Wood Elf Magic phase.

Since Fear (and Terror to a point) are not as uber powerful as they were before, I bumped this spell straight up to causing Terror.

3. Ariel's Blessing (10+)
Augment. This spell has a range of 12". If successfully cast, the target unit gains Regeneration (5+) until the start of the next Wood Elf Magic phase. While affected by the spell, if the unit is within 6" of a forest, it increases to Regeneration (4+).

This one might take a little playtesting to figure out the butter zone for casting value. It's 2 higher than Earth Blood from the Lore of Life, but this one can target units other than the wizard's unit, and can increase to 4+ in proximity to woods. I think 10+ is good, but might need to be adjusted one way or the other.

4. The Hidden Path (14+)
Targets a unit within 18" that is in base contact with a forest feature. That unit may be removed from play and placed in another (unoccupied) forest feature no more than 18" away from the feature the were touching. The unit may face any direction, but then must be placed such that as many models as possible are within or touching the forest feature. A unit may reform when being placed, but may not do so if it would result in fewer models being within the feature. Models may not be placed within 1" of enemy models. If this move is impossible for whatever reason, the move does not occur. The affected unit may not shoot in the following Shooting phase. A unit may only be affected by this spell once per Magic phase.

This idea came straight out of the fluff, where the elves use magical pathways in the forest to traverse great distances. This too may need a casting value increase, but that will require some playtesting.

5. Call of the Hunt(14+)
Augment. This spell has a range of 12". If successfully cast, the target unit gains Devestating Charge and Hatred until the end of the current turn (mounts are unaffected). If the unit is already in combat it counts as having just charged the enemy this round (and will therefore recieve the +1 resolution bonus for charging). If they are not in combat they may declare an out-of-sequence charge against the nearest visible enemy unit. If there is no visible enemy unit, move the unit 2D6" straight forward. The caster may increase this spell's range to 24" inches, but the casting value of the spell will increase to 17+.

This is a slightly more powerful version of the existing spell, except I brought the charge range back near current distances, and added Hatred, as I felt its in character with the power. Accordingly, I bumped up the casting value slightly and shortened the range. This will make for a more useful spell, but not quite as far ranged. However, you can add to the casting value to bump up the range.

Living Forest (16+)
Remains in Play. Targets a forest within 12". Remove the forest feature from play and place a unit consisting of 3 Treekin in its place. If the forest feature was occupied by friendly models, position the Treekin unit as close as possible to the original location of the feature. If the forest feature was occupied by enemy models, place the treeman unit in base contact to the unit's front, they will be treated as charging the enemy unit in the following Close Combat phase. (Note: A forest feature is considered 'occupied' if more than half of the feature is under the footprint of a single unit, or an entire unit is within the feature.) Once placed, the unit may move D6". If they contact enemy models during this move, they count as charging. If this spell is later dispelled, remove the unit from play and replace it with the forest feature, such that the feature is at least 1" away from other units. The caster may summon a single Treeman instead of 3 Treekin. If he does so, the casting value increases to 21+.

With Wood Elves having access to the Lore of Beasts, I wanted something to rival Transformation of Kadon. I dont' know about you, but I think this does it!

Last edited by HiveMinder; 05-26-11 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-11, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Default Core Units

Since I can't reprint stat blocks or itemized pts from AB:WE, I'll have to just show changes where appropriate. Also, unless otherwise noted, all Command models are having their costs set to 10 pts, in keeping with the 8e books so far.

Glade Guard
15 pts/model
Special Rules: Asrai, Forest Dwellers
Add option: May be given the Blessing of Athel Loren for +25 pts.
Remove Option for Scouts

New Special Rule - Innate Archer - If a unit of Glade Guard did not move yet this turn, they may fire their longbows as if they had the Multiple Shots (2) special rule.

Glade Scouts
18 pts/model
Same stat line as glade guard
Unit size: 5-20
Special Rules: Asrai, Forest Dwellers, Scout, Skirmish
Option for full command.
Option: May be given the Blessing of Athel Loren for +25 pts.

Glade Riders
25 pts/model
Special Rules: Asrai, Forest Dwellers, Fast Cavalry

Dryads
Special Rules: Forest Spirit (5+), Forest Dwellers

Spite Swarms
50 pts/base
Stats: WS=2, BS=0, S=2, T=2, W=5, I=3, A=5, LD=10
Unit Type: Swarm
Unit Size: 3-10 bases
Special Rules: Forest Spirit (6+), Forest Dwellers

New Special Rule - The Essence of the Forest - Spite Swarms always begin the game with the Blessing of Athel Loren. If at the beginning of any friendly turn, the Spite swarm, or any WE unit within 3" does not have the Blessing of Athel Loren, the Spite Swarm may grant that unit the Blessing of Athel Loren, and the Spite Swarm takes D3+1 wounds with no saves of any kind allowed.

Most of the Core choices went up slightly in points due to the Longbows of Loren rule. Giving glade guard Multiple Shots(2) when remaining stationary allows the expensive WE units to output enough fire to even the odds.

Additionally, I added a swarm which was missing from the WE book, and gave them a unique ability to buff the units nearby. I don't think this is too powerful because of the extremely short range of the power, and accounting for the fact that it costs about 30 pts worth of swarm to use the power.

[Reserved for Core]

Last edited by HiveMinder; 05-26-11 at 10:12 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-11, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

[Reserved for Specials]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-11, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

[Reserved for Rares]

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-11, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

[Reserved for Lords & Heroes]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode