House rules (magic phase) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

PanzerPig's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default House rules (magic phase)

Hey guys and gals. Me and my group recently got together and came to the conclusion that we didn't want magic to be the be all and end all of the game since we enjoyed it more where magic was a supporting role while we duked it out across the board with fisty cuffs.

In that vein we are trying a fair few battles out with some restrictions, those being:

Only 4 wizarding levels across the army.
Any single mage can have a max of 2 levels.

This means you can have a total of 2 level 2's, 4 level 1's, a level 2 and 2 level 1's ect. I was wondering if your group, circle, cult had any restrictions or house rules that you felt make the game more interesting in some way.

I'm in now way saying this is 8th hate thread, I love 8th, It's fun, fast and interesting, but nothing is perfect and so I feel instead of ragging on gw, why don't we (or you as your group) come up with solutions that solves the few creases in an otherwise brilliant game. Feel free to post a problem and the next person may come up with a solution. Anywho, any house rules you got or problems you want a solution for folks?

Panzer

thread moved to house rules section
T/S

Dagger's of Solitude (Eldar)- 1800pts (1680pts painted- curse the last two war walkers)
Clan Venomklaw (Skaven)- 1200pts (550pts painted)
Prince Nathaniel's Host (High Elves)- (none painted)
Sons of Orthrus (Space Wolves) 500pts (none painted)

Skaven Project Log- Clan Venomklaw
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=78074

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 02-05-11 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 12:16 PM

Ninja D's Flag is: USA

I've found that the new magic rules seem to add a bit more random to the game (which I like). You can't really guarantee that one of your tooled out mages isn't gonna go out in a multi-color blaze of chaos happiness when they start flinging spells around in turn one.

Since you don't allow more than level 2 wizards, I'm assuming you don't have very many armies in your gaming area that utilize the more magic based armies (like High Elves, Vampire Counts, etc.)? Or if you do, are you accounting for special characters?

I may have to try a few games with your magic restrictions to see how they play, but I can already see how it would change my (and my opponents) army composition.

Ninja D
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Oddly we have a lot of magic heavy armies, my secondary is HE and anothers main is VC, it means people actually choppy lords which is nice. Someone plays dwarves as you can imagine they have a strong advantage now in being able to shut down a magic phase. Fortunately he doesn't max out his cannons ect and rune priests in return which is rather sporting.
I advise giving them a bash, it does change the game quite a lot and magic becomes much more about supporting, but it also means a miscast isn't as big a deal since you lose a lot less points. If you do try it out, i'd be interested to see how it effects your game, let me know

Dagger's of Solitude (Eldar)- 1800pts (1680pts painted- curse the last two war walkers)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 05:19 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you want to hobble magic just use the old rules for power dice- to have any more then 6 dice to cast with in any phase you would need a huge amount of points spent on mages... instead of having a single Lv2 that can potentially throw 6 dice at each of the 2 most powerful spells in any lore.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

May well try that at some point. Altho no-ones done that yet, I think that may be due to the general mentality around here regarding the uber spells. But we're ready to try multiple ideas.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 06:21 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

one spell per wizard per turn, randomly determined.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-11, 01:44 AM

Durzod's Flag is: USA

1) Eliminate the "no save of any kind" in favor of "no armor save",

2) Allow Irresistible force to be irresistibly dispelled.

In all fairness I'd also propose adding your wizard level to the miscast roll. It does explain how all these wizards got to such high levels without blowing themselves up. I'd also add in that you roll on the miscast table whenever you roll double sixes, even on dispels.

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle.
The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.

Last edited by Durzod; 02-05-11 at 01:49 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode