Promotion-Style Gameplay - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-09, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Default Promotion-Style Gameplay

Hey all! cco12 here with a Fantasy concept. I must apoligize, lately I've been out of the hobby, playing the ocassional game or two, but the reason I'm not is because over the years I have actually won a couple of armies via raffles/family and friends. Which is making me admittedly lazy. I haven't assembled a model in so long, until now. You see, I'm a video gamer too. And during my vacation from Warhammer, I was playing Nintendo's Fire Emblem games a lot (great series by the way. Check it out!) Well in Fire Emblem, your characters can "level up" and then eventually (upon getting the right item) promote to a new, stronger class. So I thought, wouldn't it be cool to make a Fire Emblem themed army? It took me two seconds to realize the amount of converting that would take, WAY to much for a rookie like me who's busy filling out applications for schools and whatnot. So I came up with a better idea to incorporate Fire Emblem into my Warhammer army. I decided to make my army a small, up-and coming warband. I would go into detail on who each unit was(as well as making references to Fire Emblem) To really show who everyone represented, I decided, my people would promote. So here's how I plan on doing things.

All units start at Level 1
When a unit kills an enemy unit, it gains a level.
Once a unit reaches level 10 it has the option to promote.
AH BUT WAIT there's a twist to keep me from promoting too early. To promote, a unit must have a level Equal to the number of models in the unit and still be above Level 10.
Now then moving on. Another important note is that when a unit promotes it gets reset to level 1.
Wait! HOW does promotion work?
When a unit promotes it moves up a tier, to the unit on the next tier most similar to it (or with the best backstory that I can come up with)
The Tiers, are quite simply, your choices.
Cores promote to Specials who promote to Rares who promote to Heroes who promote to Lords who promote to my own, homebrew special characters.

Ya so that's it. Do you all like it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-10, 11:03 PM

should good, examples would be good

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-10, 12:10 AM

Zorenthewise's Flag is: USA

By enemy unit do you mean a full unit or a single model? I think different things should give different exp. For instance - taking down a lone forest goblin is a bit easier than taking down an Emperor Fire Dragon. You should consider what they are when it comes to exp.

Also, should there be upgrades for rares? What about armies that don't have rare infantry/cavalry? What happens to their specials when they "promote?" Do warmachine crews get to level up too?

I think the mordheim experience table, adapted to match the scale of the battle, might be a good option.

I really like the idea though, and good job thinking it up! Keep at it and keep us updated.

"Did you just deploy your guardsmen in ranks?" - Quote from my last battle

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-10, 06:12 PM

Dragearen's Flag is: USA

What about armies that have, for instance, Lizardmen. We have cavalry in Hero, Lord and Special, but not in Core or Rare. How would that work? Or, we only have 3 Rare choices, a Stegadon(Rare/Special), Razordon or Salamander, which doesn't fit any other choices at ALL.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode