Forest Goblins Homebrew Mini-Armybook - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-09, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Forest Goblins Homebrew Mini-Armybook

Hi all,

This is a mini-armybook I have been mucking about with for a little while now. I was disappointed when GW binned Forest Goblin units way back, I always thought they were the most interesting sub-race amongst the goblins and I am not satisfied by a unit or two of Spider Riders. So I decided to start work on a mini-armybook with a view to making a playable armylist for an all Forest Goblin army. Stats are largely based on the Forest Goblin Spider Rider stats which is handy since if I ever made a Forest Goblin army the BfSP Spider Riders seem a good bet!

This is still very much a WIP at the moment, so there are probably going to be bits that cause some consternation. I figure it is more useful to me to get input early on, rather than finish it and find people think it is shit!

So the concept I am working towards is pretty much Native Americans who live in a forest. Forest Goblins have always had some hints that they are based loosely on Native Americans, what with the feathers and the rustic look of their equipment. I figured this was an interesting enough concept to run with, though I have little intention of trying to stick to historically accurate facts; they are goblins!

Anyway, without further ado, here is my WIP Forest Goblin Mini-Armybook:
Forest Goblins

Army Rules

Please note unless otherwise stated I will be using the Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.) as a standard statline for Forest Goblins.
Creatures of the Forest - Forest Goblins spend almost their entire lives deep within thickly forested areas. They are keenly attuned to their environment and are able to move freely through the densest and most inhospitable terrain. Fortunate really, since they are by no means the most dangerous inhabitants of the most remote parts of the woods!
  • All Forest Gobins can pass through woodland and water terrain without movement penalty.
Nimble Gits - Forest Goblins are agile and able to move quickly through a range of terrains. From a young age young Forest Goblins form small packs that live and hunt as one, vying with other packs to prove that they are worthy to become Forest Goblin Braves. This training serves them well as they are quicker than their Common Goblin cousins.
  • All Forest Gobins on foot have +1 movement on the standard Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Characters

Still to come...

Core

Forest
Goblins

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapon and Forest Charms (6+ AS) - 3pts per model
Unit Size: 20+
  • Any unit can be equipped with slings for +1pt/model
  • Spears and Command Upgrades as per Goblins (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, p. 52)

Forest
Goblin Spider Riders

All details as per Forest Goblin Spider Riders (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29 and 53)

Spider Swarms

Jungle Swarm profile (Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), Page 58.)

Fangs (Hand Weapons) - Do not count towards Core Requirement
Unit Size: 1-6 Bases
  • For rules and points costs see: Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), page 58 and 95.

Special

Forest
Goblin Braves

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapon and Favour of the Forest (6+ Ward) - 5pts per model
Unit Size: 10+
  • Any unit can be equipped with an additional hand weapon for +1pt/model
  • Command Upgrades as per Goblins (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, p. 52)
Do or Die - Forest Goblins regard death in combat as a worthy death for Forest Goblin Braves. Those that are strong enough to prove their worth to the tribe in combat become fully fledged tribe members, until then Forest Goblin Braves treat every close combat as an opportunity to prove themselves worthy.
  • All Forest Gobin Braves are Frenzied.

Giant
Spider Packs

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider and Spider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)
  • Hand Weapon - 25pts per pack
  • Unit Size: 1+ pack (a pack is made of 2 Forest Goblins and 3 Spiders)
Special Rules: Squig Herds, ItP, Poisoned Attacks (Spiders) (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 26 and 29.)

Giant Bat Riders

Terradon profile (Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), Page 52.) Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapons, Javelins and Forest Charms (6+ AS)
Unit Size: 3+
  • For rules and points costs see: Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), page 52 and 96.

Rare

Still to come...

What do you think? I think of them as a hit and run army, particularly since they don’t really have much in the way of ranged attacks currently. I am a bit stumped with rare choices, I don’t want to just recycle the O&G choices as they don’t really seem suited to Forest Goblins, but they obviously need something with a bit more punch.

I wont go in to too much detail about my choices and decisions as you might all think they are perfect… I wanted the army to be quite close to nature, so the various animals they employ seem to suit the forest theme, the slings were just because I like the idea of them and we hardly ever see them in Fantasy. The Braves are supposed to be the hard hitting unit so they are a Goblin version of Savage Orcs, though I am not entirely sold on them as they are. They probably need fiddling with to make them fair and/or worth picking.

The bits from the Lizardmen book just suited the army theme well and saved me buggering around reinventing the wheel. Anyway, any comments or suggestions?

Last edited by squeek; 03-16-09 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-09, 09:46 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

An obvious one is a Forest Troll, for a Rare choice.

Spider Chariots.

Collosal Spider - Perhaps similar to spawn, or perhaps even a Giant. Alternatively, Varghulf rules could work. Maybe... Just maybe a Stegadon?

Forest Goblin Ambushers? Skirmishing, BS3 Longbow, Lethal Shot, +1 Cover Save Goblins? Could be amusing to see that Heavy Cavalry Unit wiped outby a dozen Goblins? Maybe you could include Trappers special rules?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-09, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

I thought about giant spiders with a howdah on actually, but I left it to one side as I was struggling with ideas for the rules! The forest troll is something that sprang to my mind too, but how do I make it more than just a troll painted green? I did think about looking at treekin for inspiration on that one.

I like the ambushers actually that is something I will definitely have a think about! What do you think about the Braves? I am thinking at the moment they are a little too fragile for the points.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-17-09, 01:54 PM

I like them. Hear are some ideas-forest goblin shamans,forest goblin medicine man,forest goblin boiling pot ( with empire models tied by rope in pot surrounded by goblins.) Savage wolf riders. Forest goblin hunters armed with close combat weapon( can change to spear) and short bow(can be traded for blow pipe). Forest spider priests (squad of masked goblins wo can chant wich decreases Leadership). Shroud forest goblins (cover in leaves = ambushers) Goblin giant sling shot. Goblin log launcher (EWOKS), forest Goblin war dancer, Forest goblin elder, Forest goblin snake trainers. Just some ideas for the race enjoy.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 11:55 AM
Vaz

For the Braves, I'd say give them a Price hike of 1, but give them the Ward Save of 5+ as standard, and additional Hand Weapons as standard as well. Makes them a bit more useful instead of just fluffy. But I like them ;) Maybe consider having them as a counter attack unit, ASF in Woods? They become a bit more solid, and worth taking, as 6 points (Although 19 Str 3 attacks can do some damage, they need to have something to hold solid - Wood Elves have Eternal Guard, War Dancers, and Treekin, while the Gobbo's here have nothing.

One of the more important things is making them a viable option for everyone, no everyone can judge when to retreat, not to charge, or how to change charge directions easily, so Hit and Run isn't that viable... Something to absorb would work wonders, and Special is the right place, I reckon!

If they are forest Goblins, maybe all Forest Goblin or Spider Riding units could be given a Move through wooded Terrain special rule, or Perhaps immunity to Fear and Panic when in Wooded Terrain?

Forest Troll

Not hampered by Wooded Terrain, Receives +1 over Save in a Wooded Terrain piece... and perhaps a Throw Log? 12" Ranged, can only be thrown if in starting the turn in a wooded terrain piece, Str 5 Armour Piercing/Penetrate Ranks? Instead of running them as units, you could do them as Monsters (Multiple monsters per choice?), or even as Gorgers?

I know that relies on the Forest Terrain piece being near to you, but perhaps you could take a 'leaf' out of the wood elves book (Sorry, that was god awful, but I had to), and give them a free 6"x6" Terrain piece?

I'm liking this idea a lot - having got a craving for Kislev, I might follow your example, and get one started up ;) +Rep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,

Last edited by Vaz; 03-21-09 at 12:03 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 12:48 PM

Wondered if we'd see this surfacing - nice one mate!

I'm in a rush - considered thoughts later - but these are my initial thoughts:
1 - I do think savage Orcs have a place in this set-up;
2 - look at Gnoblars for ambushes (I think);
3 - consider the Forest Moon of Endor, and how the Ewoks forught the Empire, that might throw up some ideas.

Kudos for the beginnings of a great project!

:cyclops in the forest:

EDIT: OK, a few more thoughts; I think the army should have some standard cheap-as-chips infantry troops, probably with spears, as a Core choice.

I like the Braves, but they're more an elite infantry unit - of course, they're a Special choice, so that's cool. I like the idea of frenzied Goblins though, that's nice and mad. You say they're to stand in for Savage Orcs, I wonder if Savage Orcs aren't best as maybe a 0-1 Special or perhaps a Rare pick? I would think that Savage Orcs should fit right in here. Perhaps a taking a Savage Orc Cheiftain rathr than a Forset Goblin boss allows 0-1 Savage Orcs as a Special and 0-1 Savage Orc Boar Riders as a Rare, or something like that?

Just thinking out loud really. Feel free to use or discard, or take, push through the wringer and jump up and down on what comes out...

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Last edited by Red Orc; 03-21-09 at 02:12 PM.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Thanks for input and rep guys, it has given me a lot to think about as I hadn't even vaguely considered some of the suggestions! Always good to get heads together for this sort of thing!

I see what you are saying about the Savage Orcs Red, I had discounted them as I was heading for an all gobbo list, but the whole 0-1 choices with a character works nicely I think and of course it adds that badly needed punch to the list, whilst remaining fluffy and a little barmy!

Vaz, I like the suggestions for the forest troll it looks like a really good basis to work from. I already have two army rules in my first post, though you may have missed them as it looks a bit like fluff!

Last edited by squeek; 03-21-09 at 05:06 PM.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 05:32 PM

How about other forest-dwellers? I know that GW is moving away from 'mixed' armies, but there's no reason we should. How about units of Beastmen, or Centaurs?

Or, do you remember the old Chaos Goblin Mutants? There's a Stuff of Legends page at http://www.solegends.com/citc/c27chaosgoblins.htm - they might be fun...

:how about a cyclops?:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 05:50 PM
Vaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek View Post
Vaz, I like the suggestions for the forest troll it looks like a really good basis to work from. I already have two army rules in my first post, though you may have missed them as it looks a bit like fluff!
Indeed it does, bad you!

I like, I like, though ;D.

One thing would be interesting to see - 400 points of Slingers = 200 shots... Hitting on 6's = 33 hits, wounding on 6's = 5 wounds = 1+ Armour save = 1 kill. I'd Lol.

Quote:
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-21-09, 06:25 PM

Ancient Tiel' a fier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
One thing would be interesting to see - 400 points of Slingers = 200 shots... Hitting on 6's = 33 hits, wounding on 6's = 5 wounds = 1+ Armour save = 1 kill. I'd Lol.

That would be hilarious .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode