Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Forest Goblins Homebrew Mini-Armybook

9K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Vaz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is a mini-armybook I have been mucking about with for a little while now. I was disappointed when GW binned Forest Goblin units way back, I always thought they were the most interesting sub-race amongst the goblins and I am not satisfied by a unit or two of Spider Riders. So I decided to start work on a mini-armybook with a view to making a playable armylist for an all Forest Goblin army. Stats are largely based on the Forest Goblin Spider Rider stats which is handy since if I ever made a Forest Goblin army the BfSP Spider Riders seem a good bet!

This is still very much a WIP at the moment, so there are probably going to be bits that cause some consternation. I figure it is more useful to me to get input early on, rather than finish it and find people think it is shit! :p

So the concept I am working towards is pretty much Native Americans who live in a forest. Forest Goblins have always had some hints that they are based loosely on Native Americans, what with the feathers and the rustic look of their equipment. I figured this was an interesting enough concept to run with, though I have little intention of trying to stick to historically accurate facts; they are goblins!

Anyway, without further ado, here is my WIP Forest Goblin Mini-Armybook:
Forest Goblins

Army Rules

Please note unless otherwise stated I will be using the Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.) as a standard statline for Forest Goblins.
Creatures of the Forest - Forest Goblins spend almost their entire lives deep within thickly forested areas. They are keenly attuned to their environment and are able to move freely through the densest and most inhospitable terrain. Fortunate really, since they are by no means the most dangerous inhabitants of the most remote parts of the woods!
  • All Forest Gobins can pass through woodland and water terrain without movement penalty.
Nimble Gits - Forest Goblins are agile and able to move quickly through a range of terrains. From a young age young Forest Goblins form small packs that live and hunt as one, vying with other packs to prove that they are worthy to become Forest Goblin Braves. This training serves them well as they are quicker than their Common Goblin cousins.
  • All Forest Gobins on foot have +1 movement on the standard Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Characters

Still to come...

Core

Forest
Goblins

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapon and Forest Charms (6+ AS) - 3pts per model
Unit Size: 20+
  • Any unit can be equipped with slings for +1pt/model
  • Spears and Command Upgrades as per Goblins (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, p. 52)

Forest
Goblin Spider Riders

All details as per Forest Goblin Spider Riders (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29 and 53)

Spider Swarms

Jungle Swarm profile (Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), Page 58.)

Fangs (Hand Weapons) - Do not count towards Core Requirement
Unit Size: 1-6 Bases
  • For rules and points costs see: Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), page 58 and 95.

Special

Forest
Goblin Braves

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapon and Favour of the Forest (6+ Ward) - 5pts per model
Unit Size: 10+
  • Any unit can be equipped with an additional hand weapon for +1pt/model
  • Command Upgrades as per Goblins (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, p. 52)
Do or Die - Forest Goblins regard death in combat as a worthy death for Forest Goblin Braves. Those that are strong enough to prove their worth to the tribe in combat become fully fledged tribe members, until then Forest Goblin Braves treat every close combat as an opportunity to prove themselves worthy.
  • All Forest Gobin Braves are Frenzied.

Giant
Spider Packs

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider and Spider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)
  • Hand Weapon - 25pts per pack
  • Unit Size: 1+ pack (a pack is made of 2 Forest Goblins and 3 Spiders)
Special Rules: Squig Herds, ItP, Poisoned Attacks (Spiders) (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 26 and 29.)

Giant Bat Riders

Terradon profile (Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), Page 52.) Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Hand Weapons, Javelins and Forest Charms (6+ AS)
Unit Size: 3+
  • For rules and points costs see: Armybook: Lizardmen (7th), page 52 and 96.

Rare

Still to come...

What do you think? I think of them as a hit and run army, particularly since they don’t really have much in the way of ranged attacks currently. I am a bit stumped with rare choices, I don’t want to just recycle the O&G choices as they don’t really seem suited to Forest Goblins, but they obviously need something with a bit more punch.

I wont go in to too much detail about my choices and decisions as you might all think they are perfect… :laugh: I wanted the army to be quite close to nature, so the various animals they employ seem to suit the forest theme, the slings were just because I like the idea of them and we hardly ever see them in Fantasy. The Braves are supposed to be the hard hitting unit so they are a Goblin version of Savage Orcs, though I am not entirely sold on them as they are. They probably need fiddling with to make them fair and/or worth picking.

The bits from the Lizardmen book just suited the army theme well and saved me buggering around reinventing the wheel. Anyway, any comments or suggestions?

See less See more
#35 ·
Thanks for feedback Vaz, I appreciate the chance to bounce ideas of people! :p

The reason I left it as a 5+ ward rather than a +2 is to keep the casting level low (as a 3+ ward on my braves would be pretty groovy). I wanted to avoid the little Waaagh! failure of having stupidly high casting values on the first couple of spells, also the braves are the only ones with a ward save, the forest charms thing is an AS. That said it is definitely an option if I swapped it for a spell further up the list.

Corrupted Fungal Blight is actually inspired by an O&G spell, but you are probably right that with the less nasty miscast table and all it could do with being a 12. I am happy to bump it to 12 as I don't want it to be a beardy list.

With the no armour save do you mean just for Vengeance of the Spider god? I like the idea definitely, just checking what you were suggesting! :)

I think +1 to cast near woods is genius! :grin:

#36 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's the one I meant, 'Vengeance of the Spider God'. It has the exact same effect as 'Wrath of the Spider God', but it's only difference is that it doesn't require Line of Sight or a Range maximum. When people roll that, there's never an occasion when a Goblin Shaman on Foot or Spider can't roll about on Foot or Spider, and target anything in range, and Line of Sight is never really an issue, unless you want to hide it.

It sounds good, but unless you're playing short edges as the the deployment zone, won't have that much benefit, especially for +3 to cast, and would always swap for the Magic Missile. Hence, having the 'Rending' of the Spiders (rather than say 2D6 hits, like most Second Level Magic Missiles) could make it a viable counter Armour Spell (Like Pit of Shades, Rule of Iron, or Cloying Quagmire).

Over the 5+ Ward Save, fair enough. It seems sensible to keep it at that then, as 3+ Ward Save Trappers could result in some Hilarious situations versus Chaos Knights, against which they're already quite powerful.

I just had a Revelation when thinking over the spell list, and remembered that O+G get benefits for being near Locus of the Waaagh, and you also Gain benefits for being near trees in Master of the Wood/Tree Singing, so rather than a direct Copypasta, a benefit to casting would be a goodun, IMHO. It also stops nasty annoying Spamming of Lone Goblin Spell casters on spiders casting Magic Missiles/Rot, by keeping them near the lines, and also links well with Treeside Ambushers. IMHO, anyway. Which Reminds me, I need to get around to working out a Spell List for Kislev. Bah, I'll do that after finishing the units for Kislev.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.