Forest Goblins Homebrew Mini-Armybook - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-09, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ok here is the first of my rare choices, it was the most fun so I thought I'd make this one first to see what people think!
Monstrous Forest Spider

Deep within the darkest parts of the forests there are places that even Forest Goblins fear to venture. Terrifying monsters lurk in the most remote and savage parts of the forest, of these myriad horrors the Monstrous Forest Spiders are perhaps the most deadly. Dwarfing the tiny 'giant' spiders that are regularly tamed by Forest Goblins, the huge brutes that lurk within the darkest reaches of the forests are capable of dispatching whole war parties with ease.

These Monstrous Forest Spiders are revered by Forest Goblins as living gods, they are regarded as manifestations of the sacred Spider God and are worshipped as much as they are feared. On rare occasions powerful Forest Goblin Shamans manage to entreat these hulking monsters to accompany the Forest Goblins in times of war.

Those unfortunate enough to meet one in battle are confronted by a truly terrifying foe. The spider's massive hulking form moves with unnatural speed for the size of the beast, in combat they are truly awe inspiring. The spider is armoured with heavy chitin and uses fangs and limbs to bite, slash and crush any that stand before it. The powerful scything limbs and savage fangs are more than capable of crushing or impaling a fully armoured knight.

[Table] Name | Points | M | WS | BS | S | T | W | I | A | Ld
Monstrous Forest Spider | 200 | 7 | 5 | 3 | 6 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 4 | 7[/table]

Equipment: Massive Fangs and Scything Talons (Hand Weapon)

Special Rules: Wall-crawler (see AB: O&G, p.29), Poisoned Attacks, Terror, Stubborn, Venomous Fury

Venomous Fury - Monstrous Forest Spider's are ferocious beasts that harbour such a hatred for other living things, that often their lair's are surrounded by a macabre wasteland of twisted corpses and shattered bodies of the spider's many victims. In battle their venomous fury is unleashed on those that would stand against them, the spider revelling in the carnage as its foe are decapitated and ripped limb from limb one after another.
  • Monstrous Forest Spiders Hate all enemies
I based this on a cross between a Wyvern and a Giant with a bit of tweaking here and there and hatred to represent the ferocity of the spider, inspired by the Varghulf.

Last edited by squeek; 03-29-09 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-22-09, 07:53 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

Nice!

As a bit of a random idea perhaps one type of spider based unit could have a special rule that allows them to set up webs in an area of forest terrain, possibly making it very difficult or a fantasy version of dangerous terrain, but not affecting 'Wall-crawler' units.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-09, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

No thoughts about the Monstrous Forest Spider? Well then perhaps this little stinker will tempt you!
Fungus Troll

Where the forest is oldest, far removed from wayward interlopers the oldest trees are clad in huge fungus reefs that bloom in to great swathes of living flesh, rich with nutrients and an abundant source of food for those adapted to this most curious niche. Forest Goblins regard the fungus as a delicacy and harvest enormous fungus steaks from the huge blooms, often gathering enough to feed an entire tribe for a week at a time. But they are not the only creature that feeds on this rich food source.

Trolls are thought to have followed goblins in to the forests in ages past, as is often the case with trolls it was not long before some got lost. Without their diminutive friends to look after them they were forced to scavenge what food they could from the forest, over time trolls found the fungus reefs and were loathe to leave such a plentiful food source, quickly taking up residence high in the fungus canopy.

The fungus is truly a bountiful food source, but it is not without its risks. Fungus blight is common in the fungus reefs and though it does not kill the fungal bloom, it is all pervasive and spreads throughout the fungus tainting the flesh and feeding from the host. Forest Goblins have learnt to avoid blighted fungus unless they want to spend the next fortnight as a gibbering wreck due to the powerful hallucinogenic effect of the blight. Trolls however are not so smart.

The blighted fungus sends trolls in to wild hallucinogenic fits that get worse and worse each time they eat blighted fungus, in time the trolls mental state is so fragile they no longer need to eat the blighted fungus to feel its effects. Forest Goblins sometimes manage to coax crazed Fungus Trolls to follow them in to battle. The Forest Goblins regard this as an auspicious start to a war party as the trolls are as deadly to their foe as they are wildly unpredictable. Mork only knows what the Fungus Trolls make of this, but there are always willing trolls to be found.

[table] Name | Points | M | WS | BS | S | T | W | I | A | Ld
Fungus Troll | 50 | Special | 3 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 3 | Special | 4[/table]

Equipment: Fungus Trolls use whatever implement happens to be to hand, whether it be a tree branch or a Dwarf, it matters not to the troll (Hand Weapon)

Special Rules: Insane, Fear, Regenerate

Insane - Fungus Trolls are subject to endless wild hallucinogenic fits, they suffer from a constant state of confusion and a rapid succession of conflicting emotions and urges. It is impossible to predict exactly what a Fungus Troll will do at any given moment or how they will react to a particular situation, which greatly amuses the Forest Goblins and often terrifies their foe.
  • Fungus Trolls are Immune to Psychology and are subject to the following table at all times. Each turn the player should roll a D6 and consult the table below.
[table] D6 | Result | Action | M | A
1-2 | Blaargh! Spiders! | The troll spends most of the turn trying to dislodge spiders from its non-existent hair and is generally not very responsive | 4 | 2
3-4 | Wot dose pritty lights? | The troll sees something shiny and goes off to investigate before forgetting how many feet it has and stopping to count | 8 | 4
5-6 | Arrghh! Wot yous lookin' at? | The troll takes offence at something only it can see and takes it out on the nearest pink elephant, or failing that anything unfortunate enough to be nearby | 12 | 6 [/table]

The player must move the troll the distance dictated by the table but may nominate the direction that the troll moves in (this must be a straight line). If the troll comes in to contact with an enemy unit it counts as charging, the enemy unit may make a charge reaction as normal. The movement for the round counts as the trolls maximum charge distance for all subsequent circumstances for that round.
I took inspiration from the WoC Chaos Spawn and tweaked it to fit how I thought a crazed hallucinating troll might behave. Thoughts on the Rare Choices so far?

Last edited by squeek; 03-23-09 at 12:34 AM.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-09, 01:52 AM

Mutants_ho!'s Flag is: USA

Great Dhagoria the Poisoner!

A forest goblin army list I could try out with my Forest Goblin Fluff army! The troll seems slightly strong (if possible to take them in units) or Slightly weak (if not). M12 and 6 Str 5 attacks +hate and fear? Nasty. Even the M8 seems a little beardy...

I LOVE that gigantic spider, but why is it described as "moves with unnatural speed" with an I of 3. The thing moves, in combat, at human speed. Maybe an increase to 4 or 5 is in order?

I also think the Gigantic spider should be a mount choice for the fighty type gobbo leader you create. Also unless you give it frenzy to represent its animalistic behavior (It does not have the humanoid ability to reason correct?) I think it should have a small group of gobbo handlers. After all the handlers are dead it should get frenzy to represent what I've said already.

To keep the handlers alive you might down their ward saves to 3-4, respresenting them getting divine protection from their spider god (or in my case goddess ).

The list lacks hitting power currently, in infantry at least. Why not make some harder hitting, class A gobbo infantry?

0-2 Forrest Goblin [Enter regal name here]s
|M5|WS4|BS3|Str3|T3|W1|I4|A2|Ld7|Pts/model 7|
With Hand weapons LA/Shields. 5+ ward save
--Options
--Flails +1 pt/model (or some other str increasing weapon)
--Favor of the Spider (poisoned attacks and +4 ward save) +35 pts per unit

It just seems to me that with a guy able to get big bosses with ws5 and warbosses with ws6 why couldn't gobbo infantry get better ws than 2.

Also +rep for the fluffy power of this!

Feel free to mess with anything I said as you wish.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-09, 08:52 AM

Tha Tall One's Flag is: Netherlands

Wow, this list is awesome.
I think the troll should enter the table from a chosen table side (like a Gorger) to represent him beeing lost and just enter the battle by pure chance.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-09, 09:11 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

Web chukka

In the dense forests inhabited by the forest goblins regular war machines are of no use. Stones tangle up in the thick canopies, spears hit trees instead of foes. The forests goblins solution to this? The web chukka! Little more than some flexible sticks on wheels with a web knotted between them- full of parts of past victims and the tiny spiders that keep it repaired. This light construct is wheeled out onto the battle field and fired at a target, trapping many of them for the entire battle and the small spiders leaping with their webs to inject poison.

Crew: 2 forest goblins

[table] Name | M | WS | BS | S | T | W | I | A | Ld
Web chukka | - | - | - | - | 6 | 2 | - | - | -[/table]

Forest goblin crew: as standard

Wargear: The crew are armed with Hand Weapons and Forest Charms (6+ AS)

Special rules: Web chukka

Web chukka Web chukkas count as a war machine, with the following rules-
  • Being light constructs their crew may march, and can move and fire.
    When firing place the small end of the template with the web chukka. Any models under the template must take a strength test, and if failed take a wound- armour not allowed. Against war machines it doesn't cause a wound, but automatically stops it firing next turn.
    The spiders that travel in the web mean you roll a artillery dice and inflict that many S1, poisoned, armour piercing attacks, hitting on 2+, on the closest unit with surviving members under the template. If you roll a misfire roll on the web chukka misfire chart and undo the effects of the shooting.

Web chukka misfire chart

D6 Result
1-2 Tangled upThe firers have been tangled up in their own net! The web chukka cannot fire next turn.
3-4 Spider attack! The small spiders leap on the crew, dealing 2D6 S1, poisoned, armour piercing attacks, hitting on 2+.
5-6 Disaster! Something really bad has happened, like the web snapping or the crew getting badly tangled. Remove the unit from play.

Removed GW IP - squeek

Last edited by squeek; 03-27-09 at 06:06 PM.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-09, 05:37 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Loving the troll squeek ;) First turn charge from a Troll Fanatic? Mwahahaha! Loving the background behind it as well.

For the web chukka's, I think that's a really characterful thing, myself. It's a bit rules heavy, try making it that you target a point on the table top, exactly like a Stone Thrower. However, if the marker lands on a target, it takes 2D6 Str 1 Poisoned, Armour Piercing hits. Any unit taking wounds from the hit must pass a Strength test at the start of their next turn, otherwise they can't move, cast spells, or shoot that turn. If they fail, or choose not to take the test, then they may act as normal in their next turn. If enagaged in combat, they is no effect.

Really liking that Tom! +Rep.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-09, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutants_ho! View Post
The troll seems slightly strong (if possible to take them in units) or Slightly weak (if not). M12 and 6 Str 5 attacks +hate and fear? Nasty. Even the M8 seems a little beardy...
Not sure where you are getting hatred from, the troll doesn't have Hate as a special rule? I think the Fungus troll would probably have to be a solo choice, since it is based on the Chaos Spawn as I said and the fluff would suggest they don't hang around in groups as they are all high as kites! The table is based on the Chaos Spawn, it is actually slightly less powerful since a spawn can have 7 attacks, but at the same time a spawn is more random, which to me is how it should be.

I take what you saying though. I think it would prove to be powerful, but certainly not beardy since there is that big element of chance with everything they do. '1st turn 12"! Yes, I'll get to clobber them next turn, 2nd turn 4" A2, oh shit...'

Quote:
I LOVE that gigantic spider, but why is it described as "moves with unnatural speed" with an I of 3. The thing moves, in combat, at human speed. Maybe an increase to 4 or 5 is in order?

I also think the Gigantic spider should be a mount choice for the fighty type gobbo leader you create. Also unless you give it frenzy to represent its animalistic behavior (It does not have the humanoid ability to reason correct?) I think it should have a small group of gobbo handlers. After all the handlers are dead it should get frenzy to represent what I've said already.

To keep the handlers alive you might down their ward saves to 3-4, respresenting them getting divine protection from their spider god (or in my case goddess ).
I guess the unnatural speed was me getting over-creative, I meant that for it's bulk it moves really quickly... I like your ideas, but I am not keen on handlers, I think I would like to stay away from the potentially beardy Hydra-type monster. I think I will make a shaman Special Character when I get round to Lords and have him ride a spider with a howdah or something.

Quote:
The list lacks hitting power currently, in infantry at least. Why not make some harder hitting, class A gobbo infantry?

0-2 Forrest Goblin [Enter regal name here]s
|M5|WS4|BS3|Str3|T3|W1|I4|A2|Ld7|Pts/model 7|
With Hand weapons LA/Shields. 5+ ward save
--Options
--Flails +1 pt/model (or some other str increasing weapon)
--Favor of the Spider (poisoned attacks and +4 ward save) +35 pts per unit

It just seems to me that with a guy able to get big bosses with ws5 and warbosses with ws6 why couldn't gobbo infantry get better ws than 2.
It's a possibility, I think I will work on getting the list 'complete' with choices in each section, then might think about the balance as a whole. I am not overly worried about it being competitive though as in my experience anything that has a reasonable chance of whooping other lists is thought of as poorly conceived power gaming, and poo-pooed. I don't want to make a list to win, I want to have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Tall One View Post
Wow, this list is awesome.
I think the troll should enter the table from a chosen table side (like a Gorger) to represent him beeing lost and just enter the battle by pure chance.
I thought about it, but it seemed a little cheesy to lift the mechanics of the gorger in one piece and claim them as a good part of a forest goblin army. I decided to keep the troll cheaper and slightly less like a gorger, more like a chaos spawn. Seems to fit the craziness of all gobbo armies a little closer!

I like your idea of the Web Chukka thomas2, interesting concept. I am not too keen on the idea of using the teardrop template as if the Web Chukka is that close to it's target there seems to be a pretty good chance of never getting to use it to me. I think Vaz's suggestions might help make it a little more feasible in game, but it is a pretty cool invention nonetheless!

Just a slight note though, please don't put any statlines of units from GW publications. Just put a reference for them to save us upsetting the big bad GW!
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-27-09, 07:20 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek View Post
took inspiration from the WoC Chaos Spawn and tweaked it to fit how I thought a crazed hallucinating troll might behave. Thoughts on the Rare Choices so far?
i am realy likeing them so far-how about a fungus/forest dragon(takes up 2 rare chioces)
or is that a little overpowered for forest goblins?

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-29-09, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Ok here is the last of my rare choices for now, as with the other sections I wanted to include a Forest Goblin-based choice, as well as making an option that is different again from the roles performed by the other two choices.
Forest Goblin Harbingers

When Forest Goblins go to war the raiding parties are often preceded by small scouting groups that rove far ahead of the bulk of the raid. These Forest Goblins are known as Harbingers, they are exceptionally skilled with a bow and are able to fell their prey with a single, well-aimed shot. Harbingers spend their lives hunting furthest from the relative safety of their camps, for this gives them a greater chance of finding most desirable prey that would most likely flee the larger hunting parties before they even neared it.

Harbingers tend to shun the slings that most Forest Goblins use in favour of bows as they allow them to strike silently from range, unlike slings that make a whirring noise as they are spun. The size and power of bows make them more difficult to master for diminutive goblins, but once experienced enough Forest Goblin Harbingers are very skilled shots. Harbingers easily outstrip their less skilled sling wielding kin in range and accuracy, making them particularly deadly for foe of the Forest Goblin tribes.

In battle Forest Goblin Harbingers band together in small packs, scouting far ahead of the main bulk of the Forest Goblin raiding party. Their skill with bows allows them to harry potentially dangerous foe from range, picking off important targets and providing support for the rest of the tribe as it closes on the enemy.

Forest Goblin (Spider Rider) profile (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, Page 29.)

Equipment: Two Hand Weapons and a bow - 7pts per model
Unit Size: 5+

* Boss Upgrade as per Goblins (Armybook: Orcs and Goblins, p. 52)

Special Rules: Skirmishing, Scouts, Venom Shot, Skilled Hunter

Venom Shot - Forest Goblin Harbingers make use of a range of poisonous plants and animals to concoct powerful toxins, with which they coat their arrowtips, this allows them to bring down prey that are much more powerful than a Forest Goblin. In battle these toxins are perfect for dealing with the most dangerous enemies of the Forest Goblins.
  • All ranged attacks have the Killing Blow special rule.

Skilled Hunter - Forest Goblin Harbingers are highly skilled hunters, they are capable of killing foe with a single shot from a much greater range than other Forest Goblins. They are also adept at moving through cover without giving themselves away, easily able to close on their prey and get in to killing range unobserved.
  • Forest Goblin Harbingers have +1 BS on the standard Forest Goblin profile and all ranged attacks against them are at -1 to hit.
I went for a gobbo version of waywatchers with a bow since a longbow seemed a little unbelievable with the fact that most gobbos use shortbows. BS4 24" S3 KB shots seems to me to be a good balance between a useful Rare and a fluffy entry, but I would love to hear any thoughts on this, particularly my initial thoughts on cost, of 7pts a model.

Last edited by squeek; 03-29-09 at 10:01 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode