What is wrong with your armybook? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 07:13 PM
Ascendant Valor's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grik View Post
I like how HE Mages are the only ones who can really equal Slann in casting Talent...

I do kinda agree with ya there, Grik. Both casters can choose all the lores (right?) and do come with a variety of helpful magic items. My biggest grief though, as Othiem pointed out, is that HE mages can't always have Drain Magic. The same can be said of Slann, too. But I can see some sense in keeping the overall game balanced. I just can't say how many times I've picked one of the 8 Main Lores only to wish later that I had Drain Magic...

Ogres need some special attention, too. They should be ItP, or at least have higher leadership or some other kind of special rule. They shouldn't run away as much as they do. Keep their WS low (they aren't masters at arms), but raise their S and T (maybe for the Iron Guts, at least). And they need to address that whole 5-model wide rank thing with the big guys; make it 3 or something!
It is satisfying to watch some Ogres pummel my Elves (oddly enough), which is a very rare sight. Seriously, three ogres versus ten sword masters, and my opponenet won by a week and a half!

"In the eyes of the Elves of Ulthuan there exists no fear, only grim determination.

Until one has witnessed them in combat, one cannot comprehend the power that they possess."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 07:30 PM

Ancient Tiel' a fier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Heres one thats not so common these days. Its actually an old rule that some wooden top has decided must be upheld, it is that Raiders units (beasts of chaos) rank up as wide as neccesary to get as many models into combat as possible (good so far) to a minimum of ......... 4 Bloody 4. It was 4 because back when the book was wrote 4 was your rank bonus, now its 5 but some genius has declared it must be upheld.
Where is the significant problem i hear you ask, well basically any reasonably handy individual character can beat a beast herd and dragons are impossible to fight, literally there is nothing you can do.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 07:47 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

In general, I think a new type of unit should be introduced - Monstrous Infantry.

It includes any unit with a base of 50x50, and can be taken as one unit. Monstrous Infantry gain Rank Bonuses from 4, or 3 across, or gain a Combat Resolution Bonus for having a 5 wide unit. Helps out Ogres, etc.

Also, none Monstrous Flying Characters (whether through a Mount or Ability) can join a Flying unit provided they are mounted on the same steed, or recieve the benefit as an innate ability, or recieve the ability to fly (as in Winged Horror) as a bought upgrade.

Personally, I'd like Dragon Ogres to be tougher. Having played with them as T5, like my army book says, (thought it was too good to be true, turns out GW had a fuck up, and instead of issuing a re-call, I now have to buy another), and give Shaggoths access to Marks, or modified versions of them. Lastly, Kholek needs a Ward Save (5+, at most).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 09:46 PM

My humble recommendation to dealing with Animosity (which I agree is absolutely rediculous, makes the army neigh unuseable) is to make the Animosity check something that occurs during the Opponent's Movement Phase.

Roll a 1 - Squabble: Unit takes x number hits and can't move next turn.
Roll a 6 - Waagh: Unit moves forward d6, resolve as necessary

That way the OnG player can actually, you know, PLAN his (or her) turn. Not randomly shuffle units around based on what the dice turn up.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnak da Orc Chief View Post
My humble recommendation to dealing with Animosity (which I agree is absolutely rediculous, makes the army neigh unuseable) is to make the Animosity check something that occurs during the Opponent's Movement Phase.

Roll a 1 - Squabble: Unit takes x number hits and can't move next turn.
Roll a 6 - Waagh: Unit moves forward d6, resolve as necessary

That way the OnG player can actually, you know, PLAN his (or her) turn. Not randomly shuffle units around based on what the dice turn up.
That's exactly what makes playing Orcs & Goblins so fun and frustrating. If they were played just like any other army- No Animosity- they WOULDN'T BE Orcs & Goblins. I love the Animosity Rule and there is no need to change it. GW obviously feels the same way as it has been the same rule for like 5 or 6 Editions now. There isn't anything wrong with the rule at all.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-14-09, 11:32 PM
Slaanesh's Plaything

Talos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Only just started playing Empire so other than the no magic banner on greatswords cant think of anything.
I find it a bit odd that Daemons can miscast as they are made from magic and reach in to the realms of chaos to use it which is there home.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-15-09, 02:21 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

High Elves

Always Strike First
I sincerely hate paying the embedded points cost for this on every single unit. RBT Crewman?! Mages?!? Also, I know elves are supposed to be quick, but ASF is overdoing it; just give us I6-7 on everything and we're good to go! High Elves are supposed to be a defensive force, but ASF removes all need to move whatsoever.

Mages
Our mages are supposed to be the best, aside from Slann. Our mages are supposed to have a disciplined and thorough grasp of the winds of magic. As it stands, we are paying waaaay too much for a wizard that rarely preforms on par. I don't want to pay for ASF on my damn scroll caddy.

Units
Silver Helms need to be Core! The only reason you'd take Silvers over DPs is because you need the points, and cavalry lists are supposed to be structured around the cavalry, so you shouldn't need to sacrifice cavalry efficiency for some extra archers. Make Silvers Core, period.

Heroes
Teclis is, I will admit, one of the best wizard characters in the game. He's our one truly heroic hero, however. Tyrion is a good character, but he's more of a bully; great for taking on units of lesser or almost-equal quality, but not that great at anything of his caliber. Contrast with Archaon, who can wipe the floor with anything in the game, and I do mean anything. I don't want an Archaon in my army list, but I'd sure like something that could take him.

Wargear
Don't get me started. We own Vaul's fething Forge! We should have customization on par with the Dwarves as far as wargear is concerned. We've got some good ones, like the Star Lance and such, but I would trade all that for something like the rune system the Dwarves have.

All that aside, I love playing with my High Elves (no homo), and I win my fair share of games with our armybook as-is.

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-16-09, 03:43 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

i dont think dwarfs have a problem, maybe a regen rune, and organ guns as special, that would be nice. how about war machine units-ie 1-3 cannons per special(which should be core) chioce, but do not count towards your minimum core choice(if they are core)? that will give gunlines a new definition. i mean, dwarfs are the artiliery experts of the world (old and new). also more runes for the anvil, and the possibilty to take it with runesmiths as well(poss a simplified one, with 3 runes on it, runelord gets 6? just a rough idea mind you.). rangers need the foresters rule again, and thunderers need to be able to move and shoot-even 3 inches can make a differnce.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grik View Post
That's exactly what makes playing Orcs & Goblins so fun and frustrating. If they were played just like any other army- No Animosity- they WOULDN'T BE Orcs & Goblins. I love the Animosity Rule and there is no need to change it. GW obviously feels the same way as it has been the same rule for like 5 or 6 Editions now. There isn't anything wrong with the rule at all.
Orcs and Goblins are NOT the comic relief. They were the basis of the armies of Sauron and Sauroman. They were militaristic, dominering, and awesome. This 'kenderiziation' that GW has done to the Orcs is enough to make me want to raise a horde and raize Nottingham to the ground.

Let Orcs be ORCS. The feared things that go bump in the night. I'm seriously thinking of just using the Warriors of Chaos rules with Orc figures and being down with it.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-19-09, 09:59 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Yes, Lotr and other fantasy Orcs aren't comic relief, but the GW are. Not all 'worlds' of fantasy have to be the same. They might be less so now, but they still are meant to be the random, chaotic, comedic and fun army to play really. Besides how many other Orcs are green?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode