Warhammer Fantasy Campaigns and Scenarios - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-09, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Warhammer Fantasy Campaigns and Scenarios

Hi all,

How many of you play Fantasy campaigns? There comes a time when every Fantasy player gets a little bored with the standard pitched battle, some liven it up with special points limits and one-off restrictions, others play campaigns or scenarios.

So for those of us that use campaigns and scenarios to liven up Fantasy games, how do you organise them? Do you have a favourite set of house rules when you play a campaign or a favourite homebrew scenario that you break out on a regular basis?

Got any tips for those players that haven't tried a scenario or campaign before? Or even a favourite scenario or campaign that you would like to share? (If so a new topic might be best! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-09, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Nobody plays Fantasy campaigns and scenarios??
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-09, 03:30 AM
Ascendant Valor's Flag is: USA

In terms of Scenarios, I've really only played a bare-bones "Hold the Objective" gametype. It was okay, but it really turned out to be a complete brawl. I guess that's what happens when High Elves and Dark Elves get together.

There aren't enough clubs nor players in my area to start a full-fledged campaign. Anyone know what the story is for the new Campaign for this Summer?

"In the eyes of the Elves of Ulthuan there exists no fear, only grim determination.

Until one has witnessed them in combat, one cannot comprehend the power that they possess."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 01:00 AM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Is it a fantasy campaign this summer? me and some of the guys in the gaming group for a quick game like to play the classic move moment standoff- a couple of lords or heroes versus hordes of marauders/skaven/goblins/orcs/ what have you, its quick and pretty fun
other than that its basic hold the objective stuff or another good scenario is the woodland ambush scenario from the woodelves book its fun on its own but you can modify it any number of ways. well best of luck thinking of ideas gents!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 06:05 AM

I know this detracts from one of the general ideas of Warhammer (party vs party fun), but a friend of mine and I were considering a way to make Warhammer Fantasy a Player versus Environment game.

Specifically, we envisioned crafting a game of two small armies versus a larger army. The larger army would essentially "control itself" randomly, namely through properly fashioned charts and dice rolls.
We wanted to avoid the D&D style, where a Dungeon Master takes the helm on everything, so that it would just be some players (hell, even a single person) versus an auto-piloted army. Think of it as AI.

We tried a game, and it performed decently, if but a bit stupidly. The charts we made definitely need revision...

"In the eyes of the Elves of Ulthuan there exists no fear, only grim determination.

Until one has witnessed them in combat, one cannot comprehend the power that they possess."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant Valor View Post
I know this detracts from one of the general ideas of Warhammer (party vs party fun), but a friend of mine and I were considering a way to make Warhammer Fantasy a Player versus Environment game.
Now that is something I would love to hear more about!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 10:16 AM

Whizzwang's Flag is: United Kingdom

Campaign wise I'm a big fan of limiting a players options. Forcing them to think outside the box for army lists.

Last one I ran was a classic "you need to control a forest on the map or you can't have warmachines" type affair.

The Infernal Council of the Lord of Nine Tzeentch C:SM Project Log
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-09, 10:23 AM
Darktheos's Flag is: USA

Locally we use map based campaigns like out of the Generals Compendium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
*Keep the pimp hand strong brotha*
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 08:15 PM

A little bit of "It Came from Beneath!", I'd say!

At Squeek:

My idea for the AI was this: use the dice to determine what the Auto Pilot (AP) army was going to do.

First, at the very beginning, a roll would determine the overall personality of the army: Offensive or Defensive, "All or Nothing" or Conservative, etc.
Then, at the beginning of each phase, each unit would have to make some kind of test. It would test its personality, its actions for that phase, and so on. If a bad result came up, it would have to take a leadership check to see if it actually did such an action (like charging the first unit it could, regardless of overall tactics).
Tests would also be taken for the following:
-Whether to enter a challenge or not
-How to approach the enemy army (which units to target which units, for instance)
-How to run the magic phase

The problem that we came across was that the tables we made were grossly over-simplified. The tables would need revision, but the concept worked. My friend and I both had to work to earn a victory, though it still was easy enough (two junk armies versus a decent one and scored a victory?)

We'll keep developing it, and if anything note worty comes along, I'll gladly fill everyone in on it.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Must keep painting....

Sounds really interesting, thanks for the summary and I look forward to an update when you crack it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode