Legendary Battle Datasheets - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-09, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Legendary Battle Datasheets

All of you will see another "how about this?" thread done by me and will wonder at what I've done with previous ideas.

Rest assured, that the Path to Glory rules are being MASSIVELY reworked.

Magic was far too overpowered, (I know, how's about a 4+ Spell that instantly kills an enemy. Bish Bash Bosh). Should be mid January/Early February by the time I can get that finished.

/RAMBLE

LEGENDARY BATTLES

Right, the main point of the this thread, instead of a PtG update, is that I've been reading the Legendary Battles 'Rulebook', all 6 pages + front cover of it.

I think it's really disappointing by Games Worksho that so much effort can go into Apocalypse (for what reason? You wanted a big battle, but the FOC's don't allow it? OK, new rules), but because Big Battles are far easier to create lists for (due to the scaling), Fantasy never got the attention it deserves.

So I barely read White Dwarf any more, so I've come late to Legendary Battles. But I'm even more dissapointed. Okay, so you can play with your entire collection, but you still need a legal army list for it. Apocalypse? Nah, just bring that Inquisitor, and 5000 Lance strikes. So even then you're limited.

And what takes the absolute bobbins, is that 'Desperation Points' can't be spent on Strategems, and Formations are a complete load of crap.

For example - you can have a formation of Great Cannons. Ooooh, great. What's the special effect? They only take up one option on the FOC? Fantabidosey.

So. This is where heretics unite, and make a stand against Mediocrity.

And Uncle Vaz wants YOU! It's real easy. Basically, those who know about Apocalypse will realise that it's similar.

There are 3 different types of Datasheet, and then there are Battle Tactics.

Battle Tactics are little boosts to your army, that allows you to get a little bit better.

Examples for 40K include a Special piece of wargear, or half your army coming on as reserves...

The other 3 Datasheets are;
Legendary Units
Legendary Formations
Legendary Characters

Legendary Units - Create your you own unit. An example is Archaon's Swords of Chaos. I've begun a datasheet on them. Using rules for the Chosen, and boosting their weapon is just the start of it. Archaon is a unit Champion, etc...

Legendary Formations - Groups of units put together which are both fluffy, and famous. Examples include the Cannon Trains of Nuln, and the Dragon Princes of Caledor (as in dragon dragon princes).

Legendary Characters - Characters from passed editions, campaigns, etc. Fluffy Characters, and updated characters (dark elf Champions, etc, given full rules).

Away you go. I'd love to see what you cook up, and there's always the promise of a bit of reward, repwise, and elsewhere, if it's good enough. That'll be sorted later on, but you can do some of my dirty work for me ;).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-09, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
And Uncle Vaz wants YOU!
As long as you aren't the creepy uncle that everyone thinks is a pedeophile, only to have it confirmed 10 years later when he goes to jail.

THis sounds very interesting actually. I've been out of fantasy for awhile now, been too busy with work and my life sadly. Things are starting to become less hectic and I will be playing again soon. I have a ton of Lizardmen and know their fluff pretty well, I can help make some Lizardmen special rules/characters, etc. if you want Vaz. Just let me know.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-02-09, 10:54 PM

Othiem's Flag is: USA

Empire

Legendary Unit - Council of Sigmar

Size: 10-20 Warrior Priests

Warrior Priest purchased normally as the unit champion, then X points per additional warrior priest in the unit. Only the champion may take magic items. This unit may cast a number of prayers equal to 1 + rank bonus. The first prayer is cast at a power level of 4 + n where n is the unit rank bonus. Each successive prayer is cast at a power level of 1 less. Prayers may be cast multiple times. The unit does not generate any DD, however the champion generates 1 DD as normal for a WP. If the champion is dead, you lose his DD.

Legendary Formation - Franz's Wall

Size: 3x 20+ units of State Troops, must all be the same kind

Three units of state troops join together to form an impenetrable wall of men. In order to use this ability, the units must be within 2" of each other. At the end of each combat, but before resolution is computed, the unit that was in combat may draw models from either of the other two units to replenish it's ranks. These models will count against combat resolution. For example, leftmost unit is attacked and takes 5 casualties. It may draw 2 models from the center unit, and 2 models from the far right unit at this time. For the purposes of combat resolution, the left unit is considered as only taking a single wound. One exemption, a unit may not send models to a unit from which it has received them in that player turn.

Legendary Formation - Terror of Nuln

Size: 3x Mortars

In order to use their ability, all three mortars must target the same model. Each rolls scatter separately. The unit of the target model takes a leadership check at Ld minus the number of wounds inflicted by the barrage. If they fail this test, the targeted unit may not move in it's next movement phase.

Battle Tactic - Pikes

After the inexplicable disappearance of the Dogs of War, the Empire is left with an abundance of pikes. A single spearmen unit may be upgraded to pikes (Attack 4 ranks, 2 handed) for X points per model.

Battle Tactics - Cannon.....or Bulldozer?

Freed of the constant marching and drilling of a state trooper, gunners are often called upon to dig temporary fortifications in their free time. Being an ingenious (and lazy) lot, the gunners have set aside their shovels and turned their guns on the problem. After all deployments but before the start of the first turn, each cannon may take a shot to attempt to remold the battlefield in a more favorable way. They may fire the cannon upward, so that the cannon ball creates a giant crater. Fire the same as a stone thrower with a small template, scattering as usual. Where the template lands, place a piece of crater terrain. This crater counts as difficult terrain. Alternatively, the crew may shoot the cannon downward into the ground. Fire as a cannon, marking the path of the cannon ball bounce as a ditch which counts as an obstacle. Reroll all misfires or actions which effect the enemies deployment zone.

Legendary Unit - The Lost Legion of Sylvania

Unit size - 20+, mixed militia and archers

After losing their province to the the von Carstines, the armies of Sylvania fled the province, however they could not escape the taint of the vampires. This unit fights as mixed milita and archers, with the front rank as militia, the second rank as archers. The unit may move and shoot, even though archers are not in the front row. The archers may also fire a stand and shoot reaction as normal, and may fire into a unit that they are locked in combat with to the front. They fire this with a -1 BS modifier. Each model that is killed rises again as a zombie, and still counts for rank bonus. The zombies themselves will not rise again. This unit is ItP.

Battle Tactic - Brigade Commanders

In any army that takes a General, Captains of the Empire who are not the BSB may share their leadership within a 12" bubble. Stole that one from a Warseer thread, think it's a great idea.

Last edited by Othiem; 01-03-09 at 01:15 AM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Vaz

Excellent Work Othiem! +Rep for you!

__________________________________________________ _________________

Well, here is a couple of Datasheets I've always wanted to do - Ogres!

And having thought about, Dogs of War WILL be coming back in Legendary Battles. Why waste your troops? have somebody elses!

Legendary Units

Ogre Wanderlust Tribes
There is a long history of the Ogres getting wanderlust - usually, this is to do with them having eaten all the food in the surrounding area, but occasionally they do so for other reasons. Usually, this is to leave some for the return journey. However, whenever an Ogre makes its way into the civilized lands of the Empire, Cathay, and even the Dwarven Holds, they can find themselves a job in the amies of these great races, and this employment grants them the money they need to buy food. Normally, the designs on the gutplate and tattoos on their body are thought to be just trinkets, and flights of fancy among the Ogres, but they denote a deeper meaning - the tribal loyalties. Each tribe is as different as the day.

Requirements - Nothing
Points Cost - Variable, see table below.
Armies - Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Beasts of Chaos, Dwarves, Cathay, Orcs and Goblins, Chaos Dwarves, Kislev, Ind, Sigmarite Empire, Middenheim, Estalia, Tilea, Dogs of War, Khemri, Hung Raiders, Ogre Kingdoms.

For the points costs listed in the table, any Tyrant, Bruiser, Bull, Irongut, or Leadbelcher Unit may purchase a 'tribe' for the listed points cost. If bought for a Bull, Irongut or Leadbelcher Unit, the cost is a single cost per unit (not per model, like Wargear). A Character may not join a different tribe as to which he is himself. If a Character has no Tribe, then they were kicked out of the Tribe they were from, and will get laughed and jeered at, and aren't worthy fit into a close knit group of Ogres. Only Maneaters will keep their Tribal affiliations, but they fight together on their own, using the techniques they have learnt in their travels.

Special Rules
Might is Right! - Ogres look to their strongest to lead them - the model with the highest Leadership in the members of the tribe exudes an aura of command, telling the nearby Ogres of where to fight, and where to go. This is represented in the game by all units with an Ogre model from the same tribe with at least 1 model inside 12" of the 'General' using his Leadership for all Psychology based Leadership tests. If that model is also a Character, then they count as a Battle Standard for all members of the tribe as well. If you don't have any characters, then only Unit Champions may be the 'Ogre General'. If there are multiple Ogres with the same Leadership, then you may choose one as per usual.

Wanderlust - Ogre Bruisers may not take a Battlestandards.

Mercenaries - All Ogres in the Tribe take up Space in the Army list (i.e, a Tyrant is a Lord, a Bruiser is a Hero, etc), but may not be used for compulsory selections.

Tribe - you must choose one tribe from the following for all the units you have chosen. They must all have 1, and no more.

[table]
Unit | Mighty Fists | Moonbiters | Goldtooths | Suneaters | Sons of the Mountain | Deathmaws | Rocksplitters | Skulltakers | Bloodied Guts
0-1 Tyrant | 20pts | 20pts | 50pts | 15pts | 10pts | 40pts | 20pts | 25pts | 20pts
0-2 Bruisers | 15pts | 15pts | 40pts | 10pts | 10pts | 30pts | 15pts | 20pts | 15pts
1+ Bulls | 30pts | 30pts | 50pts | 20pts | 15pts | 50pts | 30pts | 35pts | 30pts
0-3 Ironguts | 30pts | 30pts | 50pts | 20pts | 15pts | 50pts | 30pts | 35pts | 30pts
0-3 Leadbelchers | 30pts | 30pts | 50pts | 20pts | 15pts | 50pts | 30pts | 35pts | 30pts
[/table]

Tribal Ties: You may only purchase one Tribe each time this Legendary Unit is chosen.

Mighty Fists: Ogres of the Mighty Fist tribe believe that the designs, whatever the colour of the tattoo, on their arms, and bellies, grants them the strength to overcome their foes.
+1 to Base Strength of all models.

Moonbiters: The Moonbiters favour the rare yellow paste they make from the rocks of the sulphur rocks they chew on. They also are renowned for sneakyness, and make night attacks regularly.
The Unit may choose not to deploy on the Table at the outset of a battle (in addition to those who may do so because of Battle Tactics etc), but may come on as a reserve. From the second turn on, roll a dice. On a 5+, the unit will come onto a chosen table edge, and act as if they had pursued an enemy off the table edge in the previous turn. Characters must be rolled for seperately. If you are joining a character with a unit, you must declare it when rolling for the unit.

Goldtooths: The Moonbiters are a tribe famed for their numbers, and amount of wanderlust - perhaps the largest out of all the tribes. The Ogres themselves seek the employment, and it works out better for the tribe if all the young bulls are bought for in bulk.
Whenever a unit is destroyed, it comes on automatically in the following owners turn, due to the number in which they cannot be hired. Characters may not take any magic weapons or big names, although Mundane equipment is allowed.

Suneaters
: In the Worlds Edge Mountains, there is a tale of the fearsome creature, part ogre prophet, part Dragonkin, from the birth of time, who was powerful enough to swallow the sun whole. In memory of this great feat, members of the tribe who live in the shadow paint onto gutplates the sign of the Suneater, and their belief gives them the extra vigour to move faster and strike faster than others of their kin.
All ogres are M7 and gain an additional point of Inititive (Tyrants are 5, Bruisers are 4, Bulls are 2. Ironguts strike as a Great Weapon as usual, but they strike before other Great Weapons).

Sons of the Mountain: The Mountains of Mourn are well known to be massive monuments to the power of the Old Ones, and in these Mountains, there are a few who test their strength, against the elements. To hide from their prey, though, to mask their smell and skin, they use the skins of those they kill. However, these skins are slightly magical, helping their owners blend into the environment, like a fabled Camellian of the tropical south. These skins retain it even when the original owners are dead.
If an Ogre unit with this 'Tribe' is targetted by a shooting attack while in soft cover, the modifier is -2 to hit. If in Hard Cover, the modifier is -3 to hit.

Deathmaws: Those in the Deathmaw tribes have frequently journeyed into Cathay, where the Blue Dye is a sign of fear, reserved for the Blue Tong, a coven of hardened Street Gangs who run the cities through Fear and Death. Also, the Snakemen, of the Jungle, the Xiyi, the Lizardmen, are known for their Blue Scales, and springing ambushes from the crystal blue of the water.
The Ogres with this Tribe are Immune to Psychology.

Rock Splitters: The Rock Splitters frequently work for the Empire in the Quarries, as well as for the Dwarves in their Mountain Fastnesses, usually hewing the useless rock from the valuable, and also to carry the huge amounts of rock they can carry. And eat, if need be, so they never grow hungry. Whenever the Quarries are attacked by Marauding Greenskins and Skaven, these Ogres can form the backbone of defence, and are granted the additional scrap pieces of metal to bolt onto their existing armour.[/i]
Ogres from this tribe get an additional +1 to their armour save, which may be combined with existing armour as normal.

Skull Takers: This tribe originally only had a single Butcher, and got extremely funny ideas, after journeying back from the Great Maw. One of them included the Brains of slain opponents being completely useless, and being discarded from the meal. The skulls they saved though, and boiled them, and ate them as broth, once the brains were removed. This lead to a Fearsome Reputation, even amongst the other tribes.
Everytime this unit is capable of making a Bull Charge, they cause Panic in the unit they charge.

Bloodied Gut: The Red Warpaint that the tribe uses is saved exclusively for their Gut Plates, the blood that the paint is made from imparts its ferocity on the Tribesogre, due to all the Blood being taken from their slain enemies.
All members of the tribe gain Frenzy.

__________________________________________________ ________

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 08:30 AM

Othiem's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
Goldtooths: The Moonbiters are a tribe famed for their numbers, and amount of wanderlust - perhaps the largest out of all the tribes. The Ogres themselves seek the employment, and it works out better for the tribe if all the young bulls are bought for in bulk.
Whenever a unit is destroyed, it comes on automatically in the following owners turn, due to the number in which they cannot be hired. Characters may not take any magic weapons or big names, although Mundane equipment is allowed.
Did you just give Without Number to something as huge as ogres? It's certainly priced about right though, would be interesting to try out. As weak as ogres are right now it will probablly be balanced, but if they ever get fixed it could be overpowering.

I really liked the fluff about the Skull Takers. Maybe one idea for them would be due to the lack of butchers, other ogres have had to learn some gut magic on their own. Champions can be upgraded to cast like a lvl 1 butcher, but only on their own unit, and do not generate DD?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-09, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

Haha, indeed I did. I felt that something had to be done to alleviate their current weakness.

I felt that that way, someone can either heavily damage a unit, and then leave it alone to provide harrassment, or kill it outright, for it to come on next turn.

With a 12" March, it's very nasty, but yes, I felt 50 pts was enough. I even considered that Ironguts and Tyrants (considering that they need to be killed outright to lose effectiveness, and Ironguts are Heavy Armoured Great Weapon Ogres) bumping them up further. But as it's not properly tested, I thought it best to leave them as they are.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 08:19 AM

Vanchet's Flag is: United Kingdom

The band of Chosen
10-50 Chosen
Blessed by far: This is the largest known band of chosen to be assembled and that the conquest that this band has done has gained them many blessings from their lords and masters. For every addtional 10 chosen are used the unit gains an addtional roll on the Eye of the gods table to a maximum of 5 including the roll they get normally.

Truly devouted to their gods: If the band has a mark it has the following effects-

Khorne (80pts): they are heavily fused with the rage of their bloodied lord and Protected with pieces of his throne, They band gains 2+ in their frenzy rather then one and they are magical risitence (2).

Nurgle (70pts): Pain is meaningless to them as Nurgle gladly blesses them with his diseases and plagues, Emeny units lose -1 to their shooting and -1WS against them and are immune to poisoned attacks in adition they have the Regenerate rule.

Slaanesh (60pts): Thanks to the prince of Excess's might this band is a inspiring sight to the army and Many continue to fight to the end to gain be noticed by the band, the unit is the Unbreakable and all friendly units within 12 automactically pass all fear, terror and panic tests.

Tzeentch (90pts) : Their armour changes colour andpulses with the raw power of chaos and Tzeentch sends them to fufill the great plan, The unit has a 5+ ward save and the Chosen Champion is a lvl 2 Sorceror with his +1 to his casting.

Is makin old lords and option? I'm thinking Asvar Kul would be interesting

I'm not insane I just lack sanity, there's a difference....................somewhere

Last edited by Vanchet; 01-14-09 at 08:23 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 09:06 AM

Inquisitor Aurelius's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Suneaters: In the Worlds Edge Mountains, there is a tale of the fearsome creature, part ogre prophet, part Dragonkin, from the birth of time, who was powerful enough to swallow the sun whole. In memory of this great feat, members of the tribe who live in the shadow paint onto gutplates the sign of the Suneater, and their belief gives them the extra vigour to move faster and strike faster than others of their kin.
Don't Ogres and Dragon Ogres hate each other? As in, to the degree of High Elves and Dark Elves, or Greenskins and Dwarfs?

Apart from that, though, not bad. I'd like to hear how the Without Number thing holds up under testing. And for those of us who haven't picked up more than about half a dozen issues of White Dwarf in the past 4-5 years, where might we find the existing Legendary Battles rules (such as they are)?

Four Colditz salads and a Hermann Goering.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Vaz

I'll have to check. I Know it was always the Dragon Ogres who hated Dragons, due to their nature as a Warped vision of Chaos of the noblest of the ancient races. I'll check about Ogres. I can't remember much of the old fluff for Dragon Ogres - it was only recently that with the updated rules for them that I've began to play them again, and started delving into it more.

I'll have a hunt through Ogre Kingdoms, but the only thing I can know/remember they have beef with are the Giants.

And thanks for your suggestions.

A Few things though - Slaanesh I had always envisaged as making them Unbreakable. A Chosen Warrior Unit, with Unbreakability is extremely tough.

Bear in mind we're talking about making use of lists where I've seen 1200 Pts of Great Cannon fielded, so Unbreakable becomes far more efficient.

Nurgle as well - I'd either extend that to Killing Blow as well, or Regeneration. 70pts is just far too expensive.

Just to let you know, I'll be using a lot of these, and they will be a part of the Heretic. (If You don't know, I'm not going to tell. I'll have to kill you after), although I'll edit them to balance them a little bit, and make them fit in with the current rules.

Little things, such as jusdt clearing up little mistakes/Aesthctics, mainly. You will all be fully credited, and duly repped for it, don't worry ;).

And here is a link to the Article. The PDF link is on the page, but I won't link there, as it's quite Graphic Intensive, and can slow down stuff.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-09, 08:12 PM

Master Andael's Flag is: Netherlands

The Endless Tide
3 units of 60+ Clanrats.
When in combat the units gain a rankbonus up to 6 instead of 3. This does count for their strenght in numbers special rule, effectively giving the unit a leadership of 10 when it has 5 or more ranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grik View Post
Does his pompous ass Lordship even remember how to close his fist? I mean other than around a haunch of meat. You have taxed me for the last time sire!

Last edited by Master Andael; 01-13-09 at 08:14 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode