New Warhammer magic system - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

New Warhammer magic system

Hello friends and peeps. This is an alternate magic table me and my friend designed because the new one is very very simplified, dumb, and unfair to wizards of different magical talents and stats. This new table incorporates wizard levels into many of the ill effects as well as leadership and initiative tests. For example: Old table: Mannfred has equal chance of being sucked into the bloody warp as a lvl 1 empire dude. Yeah. No. Feel free to comment or use this table for yourself. Be sure to read it carefully and then read it again to clarify everything before you post ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. And please do!! I want to hear your opinions!!

Winds of Magic
Magic dice are generated at a base rate of 5 power dice and 4 dispel dice.
A d6 is rolled to determine how fluent the winds of magic are for both players magic phases.

1-2 = Fluent magic, channeling attempts are made on a 3+
3-4=Normal, Channeling attempts are made on a 4+
5-6=Fickle, channeling attempts are made on a 6+
Dispel Dice channeling always grant dispel dice on a Roll of 5+
Each wizard gets one channeling attempt plus one for every magic level he has, for either power or dispel dice, depending on the players turn accordingly.
Lvl 0 Wizard - 1 Channel Attempt
Lvl 1 Wizard - 2 Channel Attempts
Lvl 2 Wizard - 3 Channel Attempts
Lvl 3 Wizard - 4 Channel Attempts
Lvl 4 Wizard - 5 Channel Attempts
The number of Channeling attempts is number of wizards alive + total wizard level of all wizards alive.
Wizards can cast magic if lowered to level 0, but channel less Dispel / Power dice. If a wizard is lowered below level 0, it ceases to be a wizard any longer.
All Wizards innately know the spell "Dispel Magic"

Dispel Magic Cast on a 13+ / 20+
The Wizard gains +1 dispel dice on the enemies magic phase and can re roll 1 dispel attempt.

The Wizard can attempt a powerful spell to nullify all enemies attempts at casting, granting the wizard 3 bonus dispel dice and D3 dispel attempt re-rolls.

Players can buy scrolls of Dispel magic for 10 points, counting as a common magic item. If all your wizards are dead, players can use their power dice to attempt either casting value with the scroll.

This was made to make armies have a chance at a free dispel dice and some re rolls if they have no wizards so they are not completely defenseless. Although its a 13+ spell which is hard to do with 3 dice if you have no wizard. Although hey! its a chance for some extra dispel power, so who's complaining.

Dwarves generate an additional dispel dice, and each rune priest adds a +1 to dispel whilst alive. The max bonus for this ability is +3. Dwarves can attempt to reverse the spell effects and if possible, resolve them against the opponent instead. To do this they must declare their intent, and dispel the spell with a +5 on the casting value attempt. This can only be done against hex's and magic missiles, and cannot place buffs on their troops. In the event of this being used on a Vortex, the dwarf player can make it scatter 2d6" from its original casting point when it is cast. For the duration of the spell, the innate magical resistance of the dwarves drives the vortex away from their kin and allies. The dwarves can choose to make the vortex automatically re-roll its direction whilst the spell lasts.
Dispel Irresistible force
Wizards may also attempt to dispel irresistible force. However, whether he succeeds of fails, both wizards must take a Miscast after it is resolved, as dispelling magic in this manner is dangerous. If the player rolls three 6's for the dispel attempt, he will not suffer from the Miscast, only the wizard who casted the spell.
Magic storing
Wizards can store magical dice, equal to their wizard level. Dice can be stored on a roll of 4+
Level 4 wizards can dice store on a 3+
Dispel Dice can always be stored on a 3+

Miscast Table 3-18
Magic Resistance ward saves apply to the miscast table, adding to any ward saves the wizard already has.
Miscast Table 3-18 Miscasting is one of the many necessities of casting magic. It does not necessarily mean a wizard has failed miserably: perhaps the Winds of Magic simply fluxed beyond his control or he took an arrow to the knee, or maybe he is just a bad wizard. At any rate, there are consequences to failing to control magic.

Wizards do not lose spells do to losing magical levels.
Wizards also lose the bonus to cast equal to their magical level as in the newest edition.

All miscasts can only be caused once a battle with the exception of 3 and 18.

If a repeat is ever rolled, roll a D6
On a 1-3, your wizard is effected by the next available miscast down from the number he rolls.
On a 1-6, your wizard is effected by the next available miscast up from the number he rolls.

3: Incursion of the Warp!
Your Wizard becomes a rag-doll at the hands of a greater daemon of the warp, only his magical energies can help him withstand the might of the being. Reality rips open dragging the wizards(unless he survives) and his allies into the warp, and their souls gone forever.
Your Wizard Loses a Magic Level And Takes (1d3+1) Automatic Wounds, ignoring Armour saves.
Warp rifts open and hits the 3 closest Allied units take 1D6+5-Wizard level Wounds, Disallowing armor saves.

4: Magical Toss of Death!
Some magical force grips the wizard and throws him like a human fireball. The Wizard Is moved 3d6" Minus Wizard Lvl, additionally, if he moves into any terrain other that open terrain, he stops and he takes a Str 6 Hit. If he hits a unit, he stops and he causes a hit to himself, and the unit in question. Also he cannot cast spells for the remainder of the turn. The force of Magic drains a Wizard Level.

5: Unforeseen Intervention!
The magical energy is snatched away at the curious whims of a lord of change. The magic is blessed with an aspect of the winds of magic and thrown at the one of the lord of changes targets. The stronger the wizard is in the field of magic the less magical energy the denizen of the warp manages to seize from his grasp.

A Magic Missile is casted from the wizards point of view towards an allied unit chosen by the Opponent. Line of Sight is not required. The Spell has a range of 24" and hits are strength 3.

Lvl 0 Wizard Power level 10, D6+10 Hits
Lvl 1 Wizard Power Level 10, D6+8 Hits
Lvl 2 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+6 Hits
Lvl 3 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+4 Hits
Lvl 4 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+2 Hits
P.S this is formulaic, every wizard level above
The magic missile benefits from a random spell attribute.
1: Fire, hits count as flaming, and adds +2 to the casting value
2: Metal, Spell hits are Metal Shifting, with -2 Hits
3: Light, Spell hits Undead or Daemons with an extra 1D6 hits
4: Beasts, Spell gives the unit targeted frenzy, even if immune to psychology.
5: Heavens, Flying units take an extra 1D6 Hits
6: Death, Caster gains power dice depending on how many of his allies died, on a 5+ per wound.
Players can dispel this before the damage is done by spending power dice to combat the rampart energies.
6: Magic Mouth!
A Daemonic flaming maw momentarily manifests and nibbles on the Wizard’s very soul.
Wizard takes 1D3 Str 6 flaming Hits that ignore Ward Saves.

7: Magic Siphon!
All the energy gathered by the army is whisked away back into the winds of magic, frying the powers of the wizard as the energy is ripped from his mind. The magic phase immediately ends and the wizard who miscasted loses 1D3 spells and takes 1D3 str 4 hits.

8: Magical Repulsion!
Amazingly, the wizard emerges unscathed, but has repulsed the excess energy away from him. Every unit within 8" takes D6+1 hits at D6 Str, roll separately for each unit, excluding the wizard. The wizard loses a magic level due to the magic headache.

9: Magical Misfire!
The Magic used for the spell combusts around the wizard.
The Wizard takes a Str 6 - (Wizard Lvl) hit, and an Additional hit at +1 Str per dice used. Successful ward saves must be rerolled

10: Claws of Darkness!
dozens of gigantic daemon hands burst at the wizards feet, clawing blindly for the wizards soul. If it just so happens to be the hooves or claws of his mount, so much the better, as the wizard rests of the clawed corpse of his animal, surviving the horrible death due to his beast mount. If the wizard is unfortunate enough to be accompanied by a group of soldiers, their fate could also be decided by their footwork and dodging capabilities.
Wizard and Unit he is with takes an Initiative test at 2D6-Wizard Lvl. If he fails he takes 2D6 Str 4 hits. If he is with a Unit, they must pass the same initiative (-Magic resistance) check or take 3D6 Str 4 hits.
If the wizard is on a mount with more than one wound, all the hits are directed on the mount.

11: Hat Munching!
The once wise Wizard isn’t looking too wise anymore, and begins munching on his hat.
Wizard Gains the "Stupidity" Special rule and cannot move for the turn, even if he is normally immune to psychology. Any unit he is with also permanently suffers from stupidity, as stupidity is contagious as we all know.
They are always able to channel their power and dispel dice respectively.

12: Mind Sunder!
The forces of the warp attack the wizards mind, testing it for its mortal flaws and weaknesses. Only the most stalwart and unyielding wizard could disperse the magical attempts at destroying his mind.
Wizard takes an unmodified Leadership test on 4d6-Wizard Lvl, or suffers one Str 2 hit for every point over his
leadership, ignoring Armour saves.

13: Share the Pain!
Alderran explodes, and every Force sensitive being immediately hears millions of voices perish.
Every Wizard on the Table takes a Str 2 Hit Ignoring Armour and Ward Saves. The wizard in question loses a magic level because thats what the rules say or something.

14: Magical Sprite Attack!
The magic manifests into tiny nonsensical imps, who are equally likely to play harmless pranks as they are to gouging out his eyes.
Wizard takes 1d6+1 poisoned hits.

15: Magical Rejuvenation!
The Wizards magic empowers his flesh beyond its physical limits. The wizard heals 1 wound, or gains 1 wound if at full wounds. He also loses a magic level.

16: Forbidden Magic!
The wizard's flesh is ripped from reality, passing through strange areas of the warp, with forbidden magical secrets. Only to be transported back, months later: at the exact second he miscasted.
The wizard gains a temporary wizard level, and learns a new spell to accompany it. Although his delving into the secrets of one of the dark gods has drawn their attention to him. For all intents and purposes, he will soon die a slow and horrible death at their hands, even if he doesn't do so already this battle. The enemy claims victory points for your hero as if he were killed at the end of the game, as he is as good as dead.

17: Warp Visit!
The Wizard vanishes in a puff of smoke, only to reappear later, looking very, very bewildered.
The Wizard is cast into the Warp and is removed from the game for 1D3 turns, and reappears where he was after the effect in the following magical phase. He cannot channel or cast spells while off the table.***note

18: Warp Pet!
Your wizard is now a frothing servant of the dark gods. Replace your wizard with a Chaos Spawn. The chaos spawn is frenzied and charges the nearest unit. as the Wizard dies his magical energy is released, and the player immediately gains one power dice, and an additional power dice depending on his Wizarding level.
***Note: A Wizard that is off the table in this manner at the end of game is treated as a casualty.

After Miscast Results have been finished roll a D6
On a 1-3 = Player loses 1D6 Power dice. For every dice taken over the power pool, the wizard Loses a Magic Level on a roll of a 6+ or loses the magical effects of one of his magic items as its energy is drained by the magical vacuum. This is decided by the player, and the magic item is chosen randomly.
On a 4-5 Wizard Loses a magic Level
On a 6 Apply both previous results.

Max power: The maximum energy that can be gathered is 14 Dice. This increases by +1 for every 1500 points your army contains. So a 2k point army is limited to having 15 dice at any one time, but a 3k army could muster 16 dice.

Ok this Table focuses more on reducing the wizards capabilities (having able to reduce two magic levels or more) and is more focused on being harsher to lvl 2,1, and lvl 0 wizards. I changed one important thing though, if wizards lose magic levels, they dont lose spells. Why? because thats dumb and this table is evil enough already. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASe comment, like and subscribe. erm wait. yeah just please say something in the comments? Im lonely and board Adios Amigos's
also: to note: the only miscast that auto-kills you at least gives you free power dice

Additonal Common Magic Items
Magical Pendant - 25 points - Allows the holder to store 1 power dice or dispel dice every magic phase.
Cloak of magic warding - 15 points - 1 Magical resistance.
Wizarding Hat - 50 points - +1 to cast

Limit 1 Spell Items
Forbidden magical writings - 50 points - Player can negate the first miscast he suffers on a 2+
Huntsman's bow - 20 points - short bow, poisonous attacks and always wounds on a 3+
Sword of volcanic fires - 30 points -wounding equal to the targets armour save modifier, disallowing armour saves.
Shield of deflection (one use only) - 30 points - Shield- can be used to deflect a magic missile spell back at the caster.
Tome of Lore's - 50 points.+2 spells known to the wizard (may take spells from 2 different lore's)
Few basic banners
Banner of martial skill- 45 points increases weapon skill of the unit by +1
Banner of magic - 60 points -+1 pool power dice
Banner of dispel magic - 60 points - +1 dispel dice
Banner of acrobats- 45 points -Increases initiative by +1
Banner of Banner of magical defense -35 points -1 magic resistance
Banner of protection - 55 points -6+ ward save

Last edited by cathorist; 06-15-12 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 08:22 PM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

i love this, it is well done and clean. however it seems to very heavily favor magic heavy lists, as a level 4 and a level 2 have max 11 dice to the 4 of the dispeller.

but i like it none the less

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Oui Mousieur, but Alas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrone forever View Post
i love this, it is well done and clean. however it seems to very heavily favor magic heavy lists, as a level 4 and a level 2 have max 11 dice to the 4 of the dispeller.

but i like it none the less
My friend said the same thing, as in bigger battles 3000 points+ having lots of high level wizards will get you ludicrous amounts of power dice if the winds are fluent. But every miscast you land cant be rerolled (with the exception of 3 and 18. So eventually, every miscast will be a (3) or (18) which are deadly as all hell, and casting magic would be a scary move. Although its nice to finally hear an opinion and I think I might cap the amount you can have total somehow... If you have any further ideas let me know. I need a clean simple solution to this issue....
Also if anybody tries this out please let me know!! tell me about your battle and how this table drastically changed any outcomes!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-12, 11:11 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Where you seem to be under the impression that magic is over simplified, you now have overcomplicated it.

The only leveller I want to see is the reintroduction of a double 1 miscast.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-12, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Meow.

Well if its not for you or too complicated its your loss really. I mean for sure it is complicated, I essentially redid the entire magic phase, made a spell any army can cast, and made a 3-18 miscast table. But lets stick to constructive criticism here. at the very least, not every miscast has a bloody str 10 hit. The rules incorporate Every Single Stat on the wizards profile, so it incorporates different wizards strengths and weaknesses, with a multitude of strength values. I will try to simplify a few if possible though, But if you want to stick with your 4 'matt ward IQ designed' miscasts feel free. As of now the only problem with this miscast table is that it cant really be memorized, but is that really a bad thing? one of the funnest things in my games of warhammer when they had more than 4 miscasts, was looking through the rulebook in a cold sweat as my opponent mocked me to see what happened to my wizard XD but Yeah. Thanks for commenting..I guess...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-12, 11:24 AM

Turnip86's Flag is: England

First off, nice idea but I do think you've over complicated things. Also you ask for comments and then when you get one that disagrees with your idea you dismissed it even though it was a valid point.

Anyway, the main reason I think it won't work is that you have to keep track of far too much and each wizard will essentially need a d&d style character sheet to show current magic level, number of wounds, new special rules and other stat changes. It basically means too many mistakes can be made and it would be easy to cheat the system.

Fair enough for friendly games with people you play against all the time and it probably would make te game more interesting but putting too much emphasis on the magic phase can really screw certain armies over and as previously said, magic heavy armies with cheap wizards will have it easy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-12, 01:43 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

please dont make antagonistic stupid comments like "its your loss" - thats one step away from "well fuck you too".

I much prefer the stats recieiving some form of magical attack, magical defence and magical resostance value.

attack and defence go towards dice generation. resistance is innate defence against magical spells.

you also whinged about mannfred going strawberry stain as easy as a battle wizard.

and yet youve only made it easier for him to get the dice he needs to cast multiple ifs and hence blow up. only thing is miscast is no longer as dangerous.

throw in the ability to spam a ton of cheap wizards (necros) and you have the ability to look at two or even three.

add into dispel dice generation and play against magic weak armies like brets, empire, goblins and obviously dwarfs, and you are going to be gaining a further 8-9 power dice. start of the game, 4 dice, mannfred and 5 wizards = 20 rolls, or 14 total dice. dwarves cast no sppells, next turn store 8-9 dice before getting a further 10 dice on top of 4 already. thats 22-23 dice or 4 autocasts every turn. compared to the dwarfs with 4 dice, no storage power and only the ability to generate additional dice through runes and bonus to dice rolls. so call that 10 dice with a +5 to dispel as opposed to a what you can essentially autocast.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-12, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok have done work on it. Removed the one where your wizard lose spell range, alas you guys are right that one was too complicated, Also Sorry bout before X_x I just expected constructive criticism getting 2 sentences kinda annoyed me, so forgive and forget? I know it is a bit more complicated and I completely agree, inherently it is a bit more complicated. I simplified a few things now. so maybe if you guys wanna relook it over and have more suggestions? I also added 2 notes, One is a power dice Cap that increase per 1000 points the army has, secondly is a reminder that wizards lose their +1-+4 to cast that they had in the previous edition, so more dice is necessary as more dice are needed to cast spells now. Now to balence this out, since many spells have really high casting values in comparison to the older codex's (highest i seen before was like a 13, now its 25) But I think people will be getting too many miscasts with using this many dice. Im thinking of making miscasts on any triple? or just triple 6 and 1? im not sure at this point. All I know is players will be using an extra 1-3 dice every turn due to the higher casting values and miscasts and irresistible force will be too common. Any ideas how I can change the rules on getting those?
And uhm note to Vaz if your still kickin around here, It is true it is a lot better for lots of little wizards to channel, buuuuttt most miscasts would put them out of commission, because the hits are usually strength dependent on the wizard level, so mannfred could easily survive many of these, only being put down 1 or 2 magic levels (which is still really bad) and a wound or two, whereas anything level 1 or 2 has only decent chances of surviving. I Also changed the storing dice to a 4+ and I am working on a set of extra common magic items, consisting of 3-5 more basic items all wizards should have access to across the Old World. I do not know the system invented of magic resistance, magic attack and magic defense, It sounds like a better system but variety is good too eh? Again if anybody tries this let me know? thanks and sorry. I bid you adieu
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-12, 07:45 PM

i have to admit this is pure EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a more serious tone

i casted anedcav's future sight 6+ with 2 dice got 7 and this is what i saw it was wizard Spam armies

OK not serious but you see what i mean

my lore

anedcav's future sight 6+

death to the blood god
death to the change god
death to the plage god
death to the pleasure god

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-12, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Final Touched up Version

The Winds of Magic
Magic dice are generated at a base rate of 4 power dice and 3 dispel dice.
All wizard lords have an innate bonus of +1 to cast. This ability only effects wizards with magic levels of 3-4.
A d6 is rolled to determine how fluent the winds of magic are for both players magic phases.[/FONT]

1-2 = Fluent magic, channeling attempts are made on a 3+
3-4=Normal, Channeling attempts are made on a 4+
5-6=Fickle, channeling attempts are made on a 6+
Dispel Dice channeling always grant dispel dice on a Roll of 5+[/FONT]

Each wizard gets one channeling attempt plus one for every magic level he has, for either power or dispel dice, depending on the players turn accordingly.
Lvl 0 Wizard - 1 Channel Attempt
Lvl 1 Wizard - 2 Channel Attempts
Lvl 2 Wizard - 3 Channel Attempts
Lvl 3 Wizard - 4 Channel Attempts
Lvl 4 Wizard - 5 Channel Attempts

The number of Channeling attempts is number of wizards alive + total wizard level of all wizards alive in a nutshell.

Wizards can cast magic if lowered to level 0, but channel less Dispel / Power dice. If a wizard is lowered below level 0, it ceases to be a wizard any longer.[/FONT]
As per old rules, Fleeing Wizards, or Wizards not on the table cannot channel.
Wizards do not 'forget' spells by losing magical levels, and only lose their channeling attempts.
Note: Wizards do NOT benefit from the bonus to cast equal to their wizard level as in the newest edition of the war hammer magic rules.

[/FONT]
Dispel Irresistible force[/FONT]
Wizards may attempt to dispel irresistible force.
If the Wizard attempting to dispel it fails, he suffers a miscast
If the wizard attempting to dispel it succeeds, they both suffer miscasts. (caster and dispeller)
If the Wizard dispelling rolls three 6's for the dispel attempt, he will not suffer from the Miscast, only the wizard who casted the spell.[/FONT]
All Wizards innately know the spell "Dispel Magic"
Dispel Magic Cast on a 10+ / 18+
The Wizard gains +1 dispel dice on the enemies magic phase and can re roll 1 dispel attempt.

The Wizard can attempt a powerful spell to nullify all enemies attempts at casting, granting the wizard 3 bonus dispel dice and D3 dispel attempt re-rolls.

Players can buy scrolls of Dispel magic for 10 points, counting as a common magic item. If all your wizards are dead, players can use their power dice to attempt either casting value with the scroll.

Changes on spell bound items: All spell bound items do not suffer from the "minimum 3 to cast" rule or sometimes called "Not Enough Power!" rule, This allows higher level wizards to cast them easier without having to spend the same amount of dice as a lower level wizard.
[/FONT]
Dwarves generate an additional two dispel dice. Dwarves can attempt to reverse the spell effects with dispel dice, and if possible, resolve them against the opponent instead. To do this they must declare their intent, and dispel the spell with a +6 on the casting value attempt. This can only be done against hex's and magic missiles and vortex's, and cannot replace opponents magic buffs on their troops. In the event of this being used on a Vortex, the dwarf player can make it scatter 2d6" from its original casting point when it is cast. For the duration of the spell, the innate magical resistance of the dwarves drives the vortex away from their kin and allies. The dwarves can choose to make the vortex automatically re-roll its direction whilst the spell lasts.

Miscasts are caused by rolling any triple. Miscasts are also caused by failing a spells casting value by more than 5 points, or exceeding a casting value by over 5 points. Irresistible force is caused by a double 6
Dispelling Irresistible force
The player must designate a specific wizard to dispel an irresistible force spell.If the wizard attempting to dispel it fails, or succeeds, he suffers a miscast result, in addition to the wizard who casted the spell. Wizards can only suffer one miscast for one spell casted.

Miscast Table 3-18
Magic Resistance ward saves apply to the miscast table, adding to any ward saves the wizard already has.
Miscast Table 3-18
All miscasts can only be caused once a battle with the exception of 3 and 18.

If a repeat is ever rolled, roll a D6
On a 1-3, your wizard is effected by the next available miscast down from the number he rolls.
On a 1-6, your wizard is effected by the next available miscast up from the number he rolls.

3: Incursion of the Warp!
Your Wizard becomes a rag-doll at the hands of a greater daemon of the warp, only his magical energies can help him withstand the might of the being. Reality rips open dragging the wizards(unless he survives) and his allies into the warp, and their souls gone forever.
Your Wizard Loses a Magic Level And Takes (1d3+1) Automatic Wounds, ignoring Armour saves.
Warp rifts open and hits the 3 closest Allied units take 1D6+5-Wizard level Wounds, Disallowing armor saves.

4: Magical Toss of Death!
Some magical force grips the wizard and throws him like a human cannonball. The Wizard Is moved 3d6" Minus Wizard Lvl", additionally, if he moves into any terrain other that open terrain, he stops and he takes a Str 6 Hit. If he hits a unit, he stops and he causes a hit to himself, and the unit in question. If he is in a unit and the arrow heads into his unit, He causes the hit to himself and his unit, and is placed 1" past the unit, in the direction he was thrown. Also he cannot cast spells for the remainder of the turn. The player must then roll a D6, if he rolls over his Wizard Level he loses a magic level.

5: Unforeseen Intervention!
The magical energy is snatched away at the curious whims of a lord of change. The magic is blessed with an aspect of the winds of magic and thrown at the one of the lord of changes targets. The stronger the wizard is in the field of magic the less magical energy the denizen of the warp manages to seize from his grasp.

A Magic Missile is casted from the miscasting wizards point of view towards an allied unit chosen by the Opponent. Line of Sight is not required. This target cannot be the wizard, or the unit he is attached to. The Spell has a range of 24" and hits are strength 3. This Spell can be dispelled by using the offending players power dice as dispel dice.

Lvl 0 Wizard Power level 10, D6+10 Hits
Lvl 1 Wizard Power Level 10, D6+8 Hits
Lvl 2 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+6 Hits
Lvl 3 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+4 Hits
Lvl 4 Wizard Power Level 10 D6+2 Hits
P.S this is formulaic, every wizard level above
The magic missile benefits from a random spell attribute.
1: Fire, hits count as flaming, and adds +2 to the casting value
2: Metal, Spell hits are Metal Shifting, with -2 Hits
3: Light, Spell hits Undead or Daemons with an extra 1D6 hits[/FONT]

6: Magic Mouth!
A Daemonic flaming maw momentarily manifests and nibbles on the Wizard’s very soul.
Wizard takes 1D3 Str 6 flaming Hits that ignore Ward Saves.

7: Magic Siphon!
All the energy gathered by the army is whisked away back into the winds of magic, frying the powers of the wizard as the energy is ripped from his mind. The magic phase immediately ends and the wizard who miscasted loses 1D3 spells and takes 1D3 Str 4 hits.

8: Magical Repulsion!
Amazingly, the wizard emerges unscathed, but has repulsed the excess energy away from him. Every unit within 8" takes D6+1 hits at D6 Str, roll separately for each unit, excluding the wizard. The wizard loses a magic level after the effects.[/FONT]

9: Magical Misfire!
The Magic used for the spell combusts around the wizard.
The Wizard takes a Str 4 hit, and an Additional hit at +1 Str per dice used. Successful ward saves must be rerolled.
All hits on Wizard Lords: level 3 or 4 wizards, are reduced by 1 strength.

10: Claws of Darkness!
dozens of gigantic daemon hands burst at the wizards feet, clawing blindly for the wizards soul. If it just so happens to be the hooves or claws of his mount, so much the better, as the wizard rests of the clawed corpse of his animal, surviving the horrible death due to his beast mount. If the wizard is unfortunate enough to be accompanied by a group of soldiers, their fate could also be decided by their footwork and dodging capabilities.
Wizard and Unit he is with takes an Initiative test at 2D6-Wizard Lvl. If he fails he takes 2D6 Str 4 hits. If he is with a Unit, they must pass the same initiative (-Magic resistance) check or take 3D6 Str 4 hits.
If the wizard is on a mount with more than one wound, all the hits are directed on the mount.

11: Hat Munching!
The once wise Wizard isn’t looking too wise anymore, and begins munching on his hat.
Wizard Gains the "Stupidity" Special rule and cannot move for the turn, even if he is normally immune to psychology. Any unit he is with also permanently suffers from stupidity, as stupidity is contagious as we all know.
They are always able to channel their power and dispel dice respectively.

12: Mind Sunder!
The forces of the warp attack the wizards mind, testing it for its mortal flaws and weaknesses. Only the most stalwart and unyielding wizard could disperse the magical attempts at destroying his mind.
Wizard takes an unmodified Leadership test on 4d6-Wizard Lvl, or suffers one Str 2 hit for every point over his leadership, ignoring Armour saves.

13: Share the Pain!
Alderran explodes, and every Force sensitive being immediately hears millions of voices perish.
Every Wizard on the Table takes a Str 2 Hit Ignoring Armour and Ward Saves. After the effects, the wizard that miscasted loses a wizard level.

14: Magical Sprite Attack!
The magic manifests into tiny nonsensical imps, who are equally likely to play harmless pranks as they are to gouging out his eyes.
Wizard gets attacks by 2d6 Str 1 Ws 2 poisonous attacks.

15: Magical Rejuvenation!
The Wizards magic empowers his flesh beyond its physical limits. The wizard heals 1 wound, or gains 1 wound if at full wounds. He also loses a magic level.

16: Forbidden Magic!
The wizard's flesh is ripped from reality, passing through strange areas of the warp, with forbidden magical secrets. Only to be transported back, months later: at the exact second he miscasted.
The wizard gains a temporary wizard level, and learns a new spell to accompany it. Although his delving into the secrets of one of the dark gods has drawn their attention to him. For all intents and purposes, he will soon die a slow and horrible death at their hands, even if he doesn't do so already this battle. The enemy claims victory points for your hero as if he were killed at the end of the game, as he is as good as dead.

17: Warp Visit!
The Wizard vanishes in a puff of smoke, only to reappear later, looking very, very bewildered.
The Wizard is cast into the Warp and is removed from the game for 1D3 turns, and reappears where he was after the effect in the following magical phase. He cannot channel or cast spells while off the table.***note

18: Warp Pet!
Your wizard is now a frothing servant of the dark gods. Replace your wizard with a Chaos Spawn. The chaos spawn is frenzied and charges the nearest unit. as the Wizard dies his magical energy is released, and the player immediately gains one power dice, and an additional power dice depending on his Wizarding level.
***Note: A Wizard that is off the table in this manner at the end of game is treated as a casualty.

After Miscast Results have been finished roll a D6
On a 1-3 = Player loses 1D6 Power dice. For every dice taken over the power pool, the wizard Loses a Magic Level on a roll of a 6+ or loses the magical effects of one of his magic items as its energy is drained by the magical vacuum. This is decided by the player, and the magic item is chosen randomly.
On a 4-5 Wizard Loses a magic Level
On a 6 Apply both previous results.

Max power: The maximum energy that can be gathered is 14 Dice, power or dispel. This increases by +1 for every 1250 points your army contains. So a 2500 point army is limited to having 16 dice at any one time, but a 3250k army could muster 17 dice.

[/FONT]

Ok. I made channeling a bit less prevalent, as fickle now generates on a 6+ instead of a 5+. I simplified a few miscast results and removed some fluff. I also grouped common rules together to help show while it is a bit more complicated, its not head scathingly, mindbogglingly ridiculous (besides the chart itself). The only downfall is you would need this chart printed or handy to play, all the other rules can easily be memorized and tend to be formulaic. I changed the effects on "Dispel Magic" and reduced both casting values, and made "Scroll of Dispel Magic 10 points" a common magic item, that can be used as a trick up the sleeve if all your wizards die, so you can use them to grant a significant dispel boost for that turn. There is now a powerdice Cap, which remains relatively high, due to the lack of wizards bonus to cast that they have in the new book. Again I have posted under a few items I believe every team should have access to under banners, magic weapons and common magic items. It also contains some rules that A: Help dwarves in the Magic Phase, and B: With their ability to redirect magic in battle, gives them more of a role in the magic phase. Also Wizards of lord strength have a benefit over their lesser counterparts.

Additonal Common Magic Items
Magical Pendant - 15 points - Allows the holder to store 1 power dice or dispel dice every magic phase.
Magic Nullifying Stone - 10 points - 1 Magical resistance. May purchase up to (2) stones per Wizard.
Wizarding Hat - 50 points - +1 to cast[/FONT]
Dispel Magic Scroll - 10 points - see above spell.

Limit 1 Spell Items
Forbidden magical writings - 35 points - Player can negate the first miscast he suffers on a 2+
Huntsman's bow - 20 points - short bow, poisonous attacks and always wounds on a 3+
Sword of volcanic fires - 40 points -wounding equal to the targets armour save modifier, disallowing armour saves.
Shield of deflection (one use only) - 35 points - Shield- can be used once per game to deflect a magic missile spell back at the caster. They can then dispel it at its normal casting value with their power dice.
Tome of Lore's - 45 points.+2 spells known to the wizard (may take spells from 2 different lore's)
Warp Shard - 40 points. For one turn, change the winds one step closer to 'fickle'. The wizard who uses the shard immediately takes a miscast on a roll of 2+. Wizard Lords (level 3 or 4) only suffer a miscast on a 3+.

Few basic banners
Banner of martial skill- 45 points increases weapon skill of the unit by +1
Banner of magic - 60 points -+1 pool power dice
Banner of dispel magic - 60 points - +1 dispel dice
Banner of acrobats- 45 points -Increases initiative by +1
Banner of Banner of magical defense -35 points -1 magic resistance
Banner of protection - 60 points -6+ ward save[/FONT]

Anything that makes posts harder to read is bad... so font removed. In general formatting should only be used to highlight specific sections/phrases/words. Its unnecessary, wastes server space and usually only acts to make comments harder to read.
T/S

Last edited by cathorist; 06-15-12 at 11:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion > WFB Houserules and Homebrews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode