2500pt Warriors list for tourney - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Default 2500pt Warriors list for tourney

Hey all!

First to all I may have snapped at before, sorry and don't be afraid to post.
This is my first tourney with the Warriors and here's the list I have:

Sorcerer Lord
Lvl4, MoT, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll, Enchanted Shield, Barded Chaos Steed

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard
Shield
Sword of Striking

25 Chaos Warriors
MoT, Shields, Musician and Standard Bearer, War Banner

30 Chaos Warriors
MoT, Shields, Halberds, Musician and Standard Bearer, Blasted Standard

6 Marauder Horseman
Flails, MoK

50 Chaos Marauders
Shields, Light Armor, MoT, Musician and Standard Bearer

5 Chaos Warhounds
Poisoned Attacks

5 Chaos Warhounds
Poisoned Attacks

3 Ogres
MoK, Great Weapons, Chaos Armor

2 Chaos Spawn
MoK

Most people hate the Ogres, I find them very useful. The same people argue that Spawn don't need MoK, but I like Str5, particularly if they have to go last in combat. I also know that MoK and Flails is a popular choice for Marauders, but I dig the 5+ Parry. I usually use the Marauders to make crazy charges to tie up units so the Chaos Warriors can get in a flank charge and do what they do best, beat face without having to deal with combat res trickery. I feel I may be light on heroes, but I'm not sure if I really am, or what I have is fine. Thoughts?

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 07:22 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Seems a little light on characters: I wouldn't go overboard but it would be quite possible to make your sorcerer much nastier, your BSB really nasty and I would also add a challenge monkey to guard your lord (and please take him off that horse or gunlines/golden hounds will kill him turn 1).

I really wouldn't bother with the poison attacks on the warhounds- just keep them cheap and cheerful... if you were wanting to make them a little nastier then add a 6th hound instead of poison.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

I am up for that. Any suggestions on how to beef the BSB?

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-11, 04:37 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Depends on what you want: you can give him a 2+/3++ pretty easily since you are going tzeentch or could make him all out killy... or a mix somewhere in between. I would go for hard to kill on the BSB, but its always fun if they can pull out a trick or 2 in combat. If you have a challenge monkey in the same unit then I would just ignore the tricks and go for solid and reliable (since the monkey should have the tricks instead).

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-11, 08:56 PM
Dark Knight

sybarite's Flag is: Australia

to make the BSB more "killy" it would be better to buff the unit.

for example, if you put him in the 30 man unit, upgrade one of them to a champ (challenge monkey). Then arm your BSB with a banner of rage that way the whole font of the unit gets one extra attack + yourself at sth 5 thanks to halberds. You don't lose parry due to you not having one and you have ld 9 with a re roll for frezzy test which should be fine.

My Chaos Army
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...m/P1060039.jpg you can see them all in the the heresy gallery under WoC
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery
~desu
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-11, 09:03 PM
olderplayer's Flag is: USA

The third eye of tzeentch allows the lvl 4 to steal magic from an enemy mage (really great if the mage has loremaster and lore of life or shadow).

My concern with the lvl 4 is the low leadership of that as the general and the use of a mount provides either no look out sir roll or takes away the fast cav benefits of the marauder horsemen (which will often get shot up real quick if joined by the lvl 4 on mount and quickly provides no look our sir benefit). Additionally, with a mount, your general will tend to be too far away from the units it needs to boost LD. At that point, one might as well put the wizard on a disc and let it fly around. BTW, the disc is considered a war beast in the BRB and, thus, gives the wizard a look out sir in a unit of cav. You also need something that can go after war machines or else, even with blasted standard, you will get shot up too readily.

I think chaos trolls and ogres are vastly under-rated. I've played them with some success. In a fun team game, I saw how throgg with core trolls can run over high armour save armies and the ogres, with throgg's benefits, can help the trolls avoid combat wth units with flaming. Even with the new Ogre Kingdoms book, you can't get an ogres kingdom unit with Mark of Khorne, the equivalent save of chaos armour, great weapons, and a mark of chaos. However, in order to leverage the mark and the benefits, you really need at least 6 ogres (due to the benefits of supporting attacks). I prefer to run six to eight at least with music and MoK and to then combo them with a unit of chaos knights with army leadership in it or with trolls. This forces one to economize on core.

The cost of characters and high cost per elite core and special models really forces one to make hard decisions with warriors armies.

If not mounted, the BSB needs to max its ward save in order to survive. If mounted or a barded steed, then the BSB can get away with a 1+ AS with armour that makes it immune to KB and a luckstone (re-roll one AS) or with dawnstone and dragonhelm and a cheap magic weapon or mundane special weapon. You can put stream of corruption (a gift of chaos) or some other gift on it as well.

I'm not a fan of swarms.

I have seen chaos marauders with MoT and shields be very effective (great against cheaper horde and steadfast blocks like skaven slaves, clan rats, etc.) but they are there to hold ground or else need strong leadership in them or nearby. They are better run narrow with a lot of ranks to max steadfast. They don't win combat a lot and need to be run bigger to hold up throughout a battle. A unit with MoK and great weapons will hit a lot harder and have a chance at killing valuable stuff but will die faster and, if run in a horde formation, may lose steadfast sooner. Putting a strong BSB and a second fighting character will allow the front rank to do some damage while the back ranks provide more attacks and static resolution. With a mounted lvl 4 as your general, the marauders are only LD 7 and, even with steadfast and a re-roll if in range of the BSB, will get killed off.

I really think warriors armies need war shrines. They almost pay for their points as combat unit with their resilience with MoTz and fighting abilities and can provide flank support and the gift of chaos bonus to your troops can be huge (even if you do not get the stubborn and 4+ ward save roll). The WS and I of marauders is not bad such that boosting their toughness or strength by even +1 can make them a much better unit.

I understand MoK and flails on the marauder horsemen, but with their relatively low leadership they and movement, they will be at risk of being baited into charging something you really don't want to charge. They will die too quickly to earn their points back with their low AS and low T. I'd almost consider dropping this unit and a few warriors for 3 more ogres.

Last edited by olderplayer; 10-09-11 at 09:05 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Armylists > Warriors of Chaos Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode