Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1000 point Warriors of Chaos - friendly

850 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Riandro 
#1 ·
Hey all, wrote up a list for a 1000 point game against my good freind. he plays an empire army, and is either using a cannon army or a cavalry army against me.

Bear in mind, ive never played fantasy before, but have studied other peoples lists.

1 Exalted hero. MoK, Juggernaught, Filth mace, Necrotic Phylactry, Favout of the gods and shield. 230

20 Marauderers. MoN, Flails, shields + full command. 150

10 Warhounds. 60
(or 2 units of 5)

12 Chaos Warriors. MoN, Shields, full command. 222

5 Chaos Knights. MoN, full command, banner of rage, lances. 340 :scare:

Any advice?

Thanks in advance, -Riandro

See less See more
#2 ·
You are putting a LOT of points into that Hero. A LOT. I'd recommend you water him down some so you can have some points to throw around elsewhere. Granted, using the guy will be fun, but you'll benefit more from some bulky units of Marauders.
As for the kit, I'd recommend losing the Filth Mace, since at 1000pts, you won't find too many characters to make it worthwhile. The Necrotic Phylactry is nice, but is not too useful against the Empire (if only to auto-pass some of the spells that may come your way).

As for your Marauders, you're almost better off with Great Weapons. The initial +2S is nice, but in later rounds, you get hosed. Remember that if you start a combat using your Flail, you'll have to use it throughout the duration of the combat, so your shield won't benefit you (unless I am mistaken?). Light Armor and Shield will increase their survivability, but then they're starting to cost a bit more than they're really worth. After all, a charge from some Knightly Orders will obliterate just about all your armor save anyway, so you're better off with a higher S in protracted combat.

For your Hounds, I'd suggest a group of five per unit with the MoK. So, if you put your mounted Hero with your Knights, you'd probably only need a single unit of five. The rest can harry flanks and the like.

For Tactics with what you have now (WITHOUT MY IDEAS ABOVE), I'd recommend the following:

Your Marauders (with full command, yay!) and a unit of Hounds will hold up the Empire's stronger units (Knights, Greatswords, etc) with ease, but will take heavy losses. The hounds can hit their flanks and give you some extra combat resolution. Otherwise, just send them into the Hell that is an Empire Gunline. In any case, they act as a tar pit that may just win you a combat or two.
If you can charge your Marauders in, great. If not, they'll drop. Don't worry, it's what they're best at! They're cheap, and the Empire's real focus should be your Knights and your Hero. Your Marauders might just hit a flank.

Meanwhile, your Knights with your Character are restrained by a unit of hounds. That is, until the hounds are decimated by one of many terrible ways to die at the hands of the Empire. At which point, your scary Knights will be ready for the charge anyway. You're best bet is to use them in tandem with your Marauders, hitting the flanks of the Empire Knights, preferably.
Otherwise, your hero can go Cannon Hunting, while your Knights suck up some cannon balls. Hopefully, what is left of your knights will still deal some damage to the Empire units.

Cliffnotes: Your Marauders will hold the enemy, your Knights will deal the damage. Be wary of those Cannons and make sure you can get the charge!

#3 ·
Wowee - Far too many points on that Hero =O.

Champ, MoK, Jugger, Great Weapon, Shield, please! Even then, He'd be better on a Steed, and then there's no need for MoK - I'll explain why later.

Ascendant - the Filth Mace works for anything I believe - Kill one person with it, cause Terror.

Marauders - MoK, Great Weapon. Same cost as Flail, still 2 Handed, but you always strike at Str 5, instead of 5/3. I'd go for Light Armour over the shield as well, as you can't use it with a Flail.

Definately split the Warhounds.

Warriors - Good. No complaint. Maybe use free points on upgrading to 3 ranks, and a Plague Banner.

Nice Knight Unit - drop the Lances though. You're paying for Str 5 Magic Weapons. use them - you always know that some Bastard VC player will drop 3 Spirit Hosts on you.

If you have 100pts free consider Forsaken. Beautiful - 5 models, potential 20 Attacks. Will rip any flank guards to shreds, and a 6" charge - work wonders in small games.

#4 ·
Hey all! thanks for the adivice! i still took my original list though.

so, i played my first game of fantasy against a regular player.

i DECIMATED his army. i lost 13 marauderers and 8 hounds, costing me 104 points, whilst i wiped out everything on my turn 3.

The unit of the game had to be either my knights, or maybe my jugger hero.
The knights never managed to get into combat, but in the process of trying to do so, a squad of outriders,2 squads of spearmen and a cannon crew fleed off the table. whilst the hero challenged his lord (and his wizard after) killing him out-right. now gaining terror, he makes the rest of his army flee off the table except his knights and a remaining squad of spearmen, (wich got ran down by the juggerhero). the maruderers tied up the knights for the whole game, whilst the hounds managed to survive 15 outrider shots and a great cannon being fired at them. twas a great battle :)

#5 ·
sweet reasult Riandro, sound like a proper rout

#6 ·
Nice win mate. I'm not going to take it away from you, but your opponent sounded like he had appalling luck, and even worse tactical decisions. Empire outnumber Warriors, so they should deploy the damaging units - ST's, Popemobiles, and Artillery, last. Yet he placed them opposite the Knights?

Bad idea. He should have had a Skirmish screen to direct the charge away - even a Detachment to pull them on a Goose chase.

And why your opponent decided to accept a challenge with his Wizard, I don't know.

Still, nice win - and expect a lot of the same again, provided your luck holds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.