Originally Posted by KarnalBloodfist
Maybe in a larger game for a 2nd sorcerer lord. That one item is 35 slaves and he'd have to drop the chaos familiar as it takes up the arcane item slot. I'd keep the talisman for protection purposes, especially since you're maxing the points on your lord. You lose him and you are seriously behind the 8-ball.
On the halberds ... stick w/ the AHW or go sword & board for the extra pip on AS and the 6+ ward in HtH.
As for the BSB vs Drogers ... that's something you'll have to play around with. The drogers have the wounds but the BSB has the survivability. Also, any I-based spell could be bad for the drogers being I2.
If you're going to drop a command option for a champ, make it the musician. The knights won't really need it for the swift reform as they can wheel fast enough. It gets a bit trickier on the infantry as the swift reform is really helpful. At 1500 you're probably not going to see a big combat character out of the rats so you could take your chances w/o a champion.
If you're going to use the warrior build, use the chariot to support them as they'll all be going the same speed. Otherwise, have them team up. 2 WoC chariots can make a real mess of stuff. It will also help out if you fluff the impact hit rolls (like I'm very prone to doing). The knights and crushers should be fine on their own as long as you avoid the 50+ units of slaves and clanrats. A lot will depend on deployment. If he has large steadfast blocks, then use the knights and crushers to support each other. Otherwise, you could probably get away w/ having them solo units of 25 or less. 1+ AS is nice but remember it's not a sure thing.
So I went for the first list, with Dragon Ogres for lighning resistance, no infantry vs the 13 and Death for the Purple Sun. Just before deploying he told me he never played with the 13 though, he also told me that he forgot his doomwheel at home so he wouldn't use it and that he didn't have any more lightning attacks, and of course when i rolled for my 5 spells I didn't get the Purple Sun. So all my pre-plan down the drain hehe
I had 7 drops, he had 5: 3 units of 25 rats (clan, something something) with a detachment each (2 mortars 1 gun), 3 Rat-ogres with handler, and some giant rats. He then had a lvl4 seer with the 70pts book, and a lvl1.
He made the first mistake in deployement. I deployed my marauder cavalry in my far left, and he put one unit of rats with the lvl 1 in front of it. Then I proceeded to deploy in the middle my Skullcrushers, with dragon ogres to their right, 1 chariot left and the hounds in front. He put the rest of his army more or less in front of those, with his best rat unit with the seer to the left. Then I finished by puting my knights and the remaining chariot to my far right, in front of that. So basically he had the unit with the lvl1 isolated from the rest, and he never played vs fast cavalry before so was doumbfounded when I just left that side and proceeded to flank his center.
I went first, moved all forward, got two 1's on my first spell...then he went, threw a Magic Missile to my SL and a Crack's Call to my chariot. I let the MM pass,saved all wounds (btw, didn't my SL on steed get LOS! for being with the Knights?) and I dispelled the CC. He charged with the seer rats to my knights (horrible mistake) and fell short. He also had to charge with the Rat-Ogres to my hounds, wich I positioned in a way that after the charge they would pursue into a building, and with the giant rats in the the hounds flank.
The rat ogres score two 1's on the charge, failing, and the gian rats charged, won the fight, made my hounds flee, and didn't pursue (another mistake, as they would have charged and locked my crushers). The Dragon Ogres passed the ld test for seeing the hounds flee, he scored a couple of wounds with the mortars and his turn was over.
Then I charged, and that was it. I totally destroyed his army with that one charge. I killed one detatchment with 1 DD spell, my MarCav killed the other with spears after positioning themselves at their back, and my chariot+knights to the left killed like 13 rats and made the unit flee, killing the general in the process, while my crushers+DO killed like 11 rats of the other unit, wich held, but was doomed the next turn. He didn't even bothered continuing.
He'd never played vs Caos before, and is not a very good player, but he left in total shock.I felt horrible for him. Were we doing something wrong? I guess he was at least, he made 3 terrible mistakes, but even if I just went full speed ahead and allowed him to charge me in turn 1 instead of holding a bit back for my charge in turn 2, I would have destroyed him anyway It really felt like overkill.
A review of how my units did, from worst to best, would be as this:
- Regarding units the weakest link would be the Dragon Ogres.Not only were they the easiest to wound, but the only ones that had to roll panic.
- The next unit I didn't know how to play exactly were the hounds. I wanted to used them to protect my Crushers from charging, but then ofc got charged themselves, almost caused my DO to flee, and if the skaven general was smart would have locked my crushers one turn with his rats. All in all they did nothing for me. I guess a smarter move would be not to put them in front of my line, but at the flanks, to avoid getting flanked?
- Then would be that Chariots. Average, one didn't do anything 'cause there was no space and it was too slow I chose Slaanesh, but I think I'd go with khorne from now on.
- Then would be the Crushers. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be with them.
- Then the knights. Awesome really. They did what the crushers did while also providing a cover for the SL. And they didn't even use a Magic Standard
- Then the Marauder Cavalry. Pure awesomeness, they lured one of his units to the far right of the table, rendering it useless, position itself at the back of his line in turn 2, ready to charge from the back in turn 3, while killing a detachment on the process (with just spears and 5 guys they did 3 wounds). I'm thinking a unit of this guys 10 strong, with axes and flais must be terrifying.
I also had some rules questions, but I guess the general forum would be best to ask them.
Also he wants a re-match at 2000 points, so I'm preparing a couple of new lists, with all the things I couldn't try the first time around (DP, Chimera, Infantry,BSB, Trolls/Ogres,) that I will post soon
Thanks for reading!