Warmachine/Hordes vs 40k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Don_Keyballs's Flag is: Canada

Default Warmachine/Hordes vs 40k

Hey Forums,

So, I've been a 40k player for the last 10yrs or so, and the unbalanced nature of the codex's, and price gouging for new models have started to get to me.

I'm hopefully looking for a game that's easy and fun to play, has several options for different army types, inexpensive to start, and has some modeling/painting aspect as well.

After some background reading, I have some questions about Warmachine/Hordes that I'm hoping someone out here can provide some feedback. As well as their personal insight to the game.

Are armies from Warmachine able to fight against an army from Hordes? Are the games compatible or meant to be separate?
Found out the answer myself and it seems to be a yes.
In terms of getting started, are there several different rule sets one needs to get?
I see there have been expansions, are these required?
Is the game balanced in its current state? Is it fun to play?

I know this is a lot to ask, so I thank anyone for any insight they can provide

Last edited by Don_Keyballs; 02-25-14 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Did some digging on my own, still looking for some insight however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Don_Keyballs's Flag is: Canada

Bump...
There has to be someone who can help.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-14, 05:01 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

You can buy a starter box and the main rule book and be set. The models come with cards containing all of their individual rules do you don't need to buy the army books. The expansions are the same thing, since the model rules come with the models no need for book unless your after the fluff.

You can play against hordes, they have a different resource management system but it meshes with Warmachine where it matters.

If you get the two player started set it has a mini rule book like GW does with their 2 player sets.

At it's basic core the game is paper rock scissors combo type setups. I enjoy the game and find it balanced overall. The expansions can cause some power creep but there is multiple options to counter these issues.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-14, 02:20 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

Warmachine /Hordes is not that expensive to start no. The best way is probably to go for one of the 2 starter boxes (either Khador+Menoth or Circle+Legion) but there are battle boxes for each fraction.

There is 1 rulebook to the game, the Hordes one is called Primal MkII and the Warmachine one is called Prime MkII. You will need the one you have for your side of the game.
Pick a faction you like the models from and then go for the book for that version of the game. If you go for one of the 4 startbox factions get that box instead since it contains a rulebook.

Regarding expansions they contain a few entries for all armies of that half of the game, they are not needed to have but can be fun to read. EVERY entry you buy comes with a rule card that has the rules the model(s) have, so there is no need to get the expansion books.

Regarding balance:
Tournaments generally have 2 or 3 lists required, this means that you cant at default end up with classic DE flying paperboatvenomcannonlist vs Ork green horde or similar. That doesnt mean that there are no bad matchups, there definitely are, but you can mitigate that better since you have more then 1 list to pick from.
The game is by far better balanced then GWs games, it might not seem that way instantly but you will start to realise that after a while.

Regarding "several options for army types" this is where HordeMachine differs hugely from GWs games.
Changing your caster(read general) will give you new abilities, spells, skills and incentives to use certain units. Changing the caster and a few things in the army will do a lot for how a army behaves on the table.
This naturally leads to one wanting to have more different things but thats another story.

The game itself is encouraging creative play, using your own models for targets is not uncommon, and has 3 different win conditions and no fixed game length (so no 5-7 turns). If you like Blood Bowl you should love HordeMachine since the game works the same way. You do one thing at a time, evaluate result and then goes for the next one

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-14, 10:38 AM

FatBoyFat's Flag is: England

Our group has just started playing warmachine due to not being overly impressed with 7th ed rumors, gotta say, only played a few games so far but loving it! if you can team up with a buddy to buy the start box you can play straight away with a respectable force. even if you don't buy the big starter box you can just buy a faction starter box and as has been said you can play with them pretty much straight from the go, you've got everything other than the dice and a tape measure to get playing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode