Cryx - A new Warmachine player emerges - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Default Cryx - A new Warmachine player emerges

Moo-ness!

So my brother wanted me to try out Warmachine and gave me the Cryx battlegroup for Christmas. He plays Menoth and Cyriss and we played a couple of games, while I tried to figure out how this game works.

I quite like it, and it is definately something that I want to dabble more in. However, I'm not quite sure where to expand on the Cryx army. I don't have that golden overview yet, so I'm looking for feedback, input and recommendations.

After the battle-group box, which units should I be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-13, 10:45 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Here's the chap to talk to about Cryx.

@Logaan , you're up again bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-13, 11:42 AM

Logaan's Flag is: England

Depends on how you want to play the game in all honesty. Cryx has many diverse units which means you can aim for a lot of very different forces.

I started with the battle box and used to run a force with quite a few heavy Jacks. I eventually switched from Jack orientated to more 'infantry' type units.

The first thing I did was change my Warcaster to Asphyxious. Definitely my caster of choice. To him, I added a Skarlock and retained two light jacks. The aim is to benefit from the light jack arc nodes and the Skarlock's ability to cast many of Asphyxious' spells. Your opponent has to worry about being hit by spells even when your caster cannot be seen. Plus you have the Skarlock's spells too.

I originally used to run a large unit of Mech Thralls but later changed this to a unit of the Revenant Crew led by Captain Rengrave. Who doesn't like undead Pirates? Yarrrr, avast ye! With the Quartermaster's ability to raise dead crewmen, they can soak up a lot of damage. I would experiment with these larger units to see which suit your style of play.

I never leave the swamp without at least two Pistol Wraiths. These guys are ideal for outflanking your opponent and can whittle down enemy units with ease.

This isn't to say that this is the correct way to play Cryx. The heavy Jacks are bad ass to play and I had a lot of fun beating the crap out of my mates Menoth with some overly violent Jacks.

The best advice is to play a few games and determine what style works best for you. I went through a whole lot of games before settling on the force I run. Its full of character, is unpredictable and great fun to play and this is the best way to play Warmachine.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

Last edited by Logaan; 12-31-13 at 11:47 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-14, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Oh crap, I completely forgot that you guys answered this - So sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logaan View Post
Depends on how you want to play the game in all honesty.
Well so far I have tried 2 games, and I'm quite in love with their speed and debuff capabilities. As far as I understand it, this is a cornerstone in the Cryx army and how they function, so I really want to keep this element and boost it to the max of it's capabilities. I don't necessarily have to hit hard, but I want to be so damn annoying that even the most tough Jack can be debilitated to a blob.

Quote:
The first thing I did was change my Warcaster to Asphyxious. Definitely my caster of choice.
Do tell why that is. I'm not familiar with the caster
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Do tell why that is. I'm not familiar with the caster
In a word, he's badass. He has lots of nasty offensive spells such as Hellfire, Iron Blight and Parasite. Combine this with a Skarlock and plenty of arc nodes, your opponent will never know where the next spell is going to come from.

I always try to keep him out of close combat, I much prefer him blasting spells from behind the carnage. However, should he end up having to go toe to toe (if he has toes.......) he has the skills to look after himself. Shadow Wings allows him to get away if it does get a little dangerous.

Terror means enemy models must pass a CMD check or they scarper, Undead means he will never flee. He is armed with Soulsplitter and has Sustained Attack which is a nasty ability.

Since I started using Asphyxious, I have never wanted to use another Caster.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-14, 06:47 PM
Disciple of Change

PapaSmurf124's Flag is: USA

Quote:
In a word, he's badass. He has lots of nasty offensive spells such as Hellfire, Iron Blight and Parasite. Combine this with a Skarlock and plenty of arc nodes, your opponent will never know where the next spell is going to come from.

I always try to keep him out of close combat, I much prefer him blasting spells from behind the carnage. However, should he end up having to go toe to toe (if he has toes.......) he has the skills to look after himself. Shadow Wings allows him to get away if it does get a little dangerous.

Terror means enemy models must pass a CMD check or they scarper, Undead means he will never flee. He is armed with Soulsplitter and has Sustained Attack which is a nasty ability.

Since I started using Asphyxious, I have never wanted to use another Caster.
Did Gaspy learn some new tricks when I wasn't watching? I've never heard of the Iron blight or Shadow Wings. Sounds awesome though

Check out my gaming and 40k blog here!

Daemon Guard 5th Ed Record: 0/0/0 WIP Daemon Guard Thread HERE
Cryx Mk II Record: 7/0/0 WIP Cryx Thread HERE
Hive Fleet Scylla 5th Ed Record: 0/0/0WIP Nid Thread HERE

Currently on the Painting Pedestal: Termgaunt Test Model
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf124 View Post
Did Gaspy learn some new tricks when I wasn't watching? I've never heard of the Iron blight or Shadow Wings. Sounds awesome though
I may have been talking out of my arse. A quick check of my Iron Lich mk 2 card yields the following abilities;

Breath of Corruption
Hellfire
Parasite
Scything Touch
Teleport.

Iron Blight and Shadow Wings seemed to have been removed.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-14, 11:21 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
I may have been talking out of my arse.
I remember you doing that on a few nights out, but not with your own armies before......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode