Way of the Wildborne - Circle Orboros - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-13, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

Default Way of the Wildborne - Circle Orboros

Introduction

I have been playing Warmahordes, for a couple of months now and have focussed mainly on the Legion of Everblight building on what I received in the Hordes 2 Player Battle Box, it has been fun but I feel that the faction has something missing. As a result of boredom and some motivation to get some things painted I decided to assemble the Circle of Orboros miniatures included in the starter set and instantly feel in love with the Feral Warpwolf. So I have an expansion league (journeyman League) starting up soon in my LGC and decided I'd take the plunge and start up Circle.

Week 1 – Battle Group Contents

So then the beginning, the first choice that you really have to make with Circle Orboros is which play style you wish to start off with, the faction has two broad play styles that separate into an army made of living war beasts or an army made of animated constructs. Since I have the 2 Player Battle Box Set already this choice has been made for me and I shall be going with Beasts.

Week 1 of a Journeyman League basically constitutes assembling, painting and playing with only the contents of a Battle Group Box Set which in my case should be slightly different to the Battle Group Box Set that is available on general sale (one war beast differs) so here is the list as it currently stands.

Circle Orboros Alternate Battle Group – 12 Points

Kaya, The Wildborne (6*)
Argus - 4
Winter Argus – 5
Feral Warpwolf – 9

A note on Warlocks, in Warmachine/Hordes each Warlock or Warcaster has an amount of Warbeast/jack points that they can include in their lists without spending points in the above case Kaya have 6 Beast Points making the above list 12 Points and not 18!

About the Battle Group

This Battle group at this point size is really all about an attrition game, they can focus on isolating and eradicating one model at a time due to the innate speed of the beasts included. This Battle Group has 3 ways to win as far as I can see:
1. The Feral Warpwolf gets into a position to take out the opponents Caster
2. The Battle group eliminates all the opponents Warbeasts or Warjacks
3. Kaya can assassinate the opponents Caster herself either in melee or with spells

Week 2 – 15 Points

Week 2 requires players to utilise all the models from the Battle Group Set but can purchase additional models to make up ‘complete’ 15 Point Lists. In my case I have a grand total of 3 Points to use for this list. One of the many decent supporting Units for Circle Orboros and unit Attachment (UA) are the Shifting Stones and the Stone Keeper (UA) which come to a nice tidy 3 Points leaving the list looking like the below.

Circle Orboros Alternate Battle Group – 15 Points

Kaya, The Wildborne (6*)
Argus - 4
Winter Argus – 5
Feral Warpwolf – 9
Shifting Stones – 2
-Stone Keeper – 1

The Shifting Stones & UA are a staple Circle Orboros Unit in many lists, most frequently occurring in most/if not all lists 35 Points and Upwards. Since they are almost an auto include in many lists I figured that I may as well attempt to master their usages as early in the Journeyman League as possible and build up my skills with this toolbox unit.

Week 3 – 25 Points

Week 3 requires players to utilise all the models from the previous week as well as purchase additional models to make up ‘complete’ 25 Point Lists. I have 10 Points that I can now use to expand into. Kaya at this point level still does well with her original Warbeasts however it is getting to the point in play where the single Heavy Warbeast (Feral Warpwolf) is frequently being targeted by opponents and once I lose that piece the rest of the game is an up-hill battle. What I am looking to do however is not to add an additional Heavy Warbeast (this week) but rather add an additional toolbox unit to the list so that I can again manipulate placement and manoeuvrability to my advantage as well as learning another corner stone piece in the Circle Orboros Armoury. The Druids of Orboros and the Unit Attachment. With a single point remaining I think that I will add a keep support piece to the list in the form of a Gallows Grove.

Circle Orboros Alternate Battle Group – 25 Points

Kaya, The Wildborne (6*)
Argus - 4
Winter Argus – 5
Feral Warpwolf – 9
Shifting Stones – 2
-Stone Keeper – 1
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts) – 7
Druids of Orboros Overseer – 2
Gallows Grove - 1

The Druids of Orboros are an interesting unit to include as they are not a particularly good unit in terms or ranged damage or ability to tar pit (or Jam as it is known in Warmahordes) but instead are another great toolbox unit for Circle Orboros Players. This unit effectively can put out a non-magic zone around the unit with a proportional size to the number of Druids in the unit, they can also push or pull opponent models around the board as well as being able to knock down models (making them easier to hit and kill), they offer a small amount of healing to Circle Orboros models which will allow me to use Kaya for more hit and run tactics. They also provide a Cloud effect that makes my Models more difficult to hit as well as blocking LOS to anything obscured by the effect. The UA can also force Warbeasts again taking some pressure away from Kaya and enabling me to spread the battle line out a bit more and start to threaten more than a single flank. He also allows the unit to advance deploy which gives the Druid unit a 6” head start before the game starts and after deployment has been completed.

Last edited by Ratvan; 08-29-13 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-13, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Default Week 1 - Journeyman Rules and Starting to Paint

Right then, so I have outlined the plan and have started work on painting the battle group ready for week 1's games and the leagues starting point.

Journeyman League - Scoring

Game Points

Players earn points by playing games (obviously) and the results of each game are as follows

Win - 3 Points
Draw/Loss - 2 Points

Hobby Points

Part of the Journeyman League is painting up your forces, so players are encouraged to paint their miniatures and others belonging to the same faction to gain points and progress up the league table the points are awarded as follows:

Warcasters, Warlocks, Warbeasts, Warjack's and Solo's
Small Base - 1
Medium Base - 2
Large Base - 3

Battle Engines - 5 Points
Colossals/Gargantuans - 7 Points
Units of 2 Models - 2 Points
Units of 3>6 Models - 3 Points
Units of 7+ Models - 4 points

So before any games take place I aim to have 8 Points in the bag, I am hoping that many people will not be attending with fully painted armies as I am aware that the faction/battlegroup that I am taking part with has the steepest learning curve, and while I am not looking to win this league I want to be in the top half.

Kaya - 1 Points
Winter Argus - 2 Points
Argus - 2 Points
Feral Warpwolf - 3 Points

So here are the photo's of the beasts, mainly base coated I still need to wash and highlight these models and start work on Kaya before the game on Tuesday. I need to get at least 3 colours on the miniatures to class them as 'painted' but I would like to improve my skills and hoping that Week 2, I can try something that I have not previously attempted OSL

Anyways Week 1 Photographs

Winter Argus

Argus

Feral Warpwolf

Group Shot

Obviously still have the bases to do as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-13, 03:50 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Looks pretty awesome so far!

It'll be great to have an escalation diary like this to follow along with, I think it'll really help people who are interested in the system.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-13, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Default Progress - Working towards Hobby Points (8)

Thanks Maddermax, that is a part of my hope for this thread.

Anyway progress:

Group Shot

Kaya

Winter Argus and Argus

Feral Warpwolf

So tomorrow I will focus primarily on the bases and work on the detail work, highlighting and shading once the league has started
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 12:58 AM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Nicely done models!

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-13, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Default Week 1 - Games

Thank you but in Person they're really not all that great, however I achieved my initial aim and got myself 8 Hobby Points for painting the miniatures, I can now focus on playing games and painting up a single unit/miniature a week for a fully painted faction. The gamble paid off as I was the only one (other than the Press Gangers) who had a fully painted force.

So I managed to get a couple of games in, both games against new players (like me) however they both had the same Battlegroup - Khador

Warcaster Kommander Sorsha (+5)
Destroyer Heavy Warjack - 9
Juggernaut Heavy Warjack - 7

Game 1 - Daniel

So in this game, Daniel set up with his Destroyer to my left, Juggernaut to my right, and Sorscha in the center of the group. I deployed 2nd and lead with my Warpwolf, flanked on the left with the Argus and Right with the Winter Argus with Kaya hanging back (LOS blocked by the Warpwolf).

We had 4 houses set up on the field kinda in a square around the centre, so it looked like a town square. Along with some hills and forests. Long story short (Ignoring all the pauses to read and check rules) The Warpwolf, which had Occulation on it so it had Stealth, ran right up the centre. Kaya stayed back and I had the Argus run up with the Warpwolf and the Winter Argus to try and flank the board side near the Destroyer.

The Warpwolf proved its strength by taking out the Juggernaut in 2 turns. Daniel burned his feat trying to kill his Warpwolf but it did not work, so he ended up having to play avoid the Wolf. The game ended rather quickly as I choose to slam the Destroyer with my Winter Argus and managed to kill Sorcha with the Argus and a mop up charge with the Warpwolf after popping my feat and buying a total of 7 additional boosted attacks.

Result: Win - 3 Game Points

Games 2 - Alain

A very similar set up from both players. Again I got first turn and advanced straight up, keeping my Warpwolf to the right and 1 Argus to the left, which ended up at the end of turn one out of Kaya's Control Area. It had to make a frenzy check, failed, and could only see Kaya so walked towards her. Alain set up dead centre and just ran everything forward.

On turn 2 I realized I made an error and Alain had a straight shot to his caster with Sorscha, so he walked up, feated, caught her in my control area, along with the left Argus, and then Wind Rushed up to her, catching her again at the edge of my reach. Thankfully Alain rolled poorly and after burning all his Focus she had 1 HP left. Now typically this would have been a game ending move however Kaya has a neat little trick which thankfully paid off.

On my turn I used spirit door to get the Feral into base contact with Sorscha, and then feated using all my fury to smear Sorscha across the battlefield.

Result: Win - 3 Game Points

So after the Week 1 Games, I have amassed a total of 14 Points and am awaiting the rest of the game results to see where I currently sit in the League.

Next up I have the Shifting Stones and Stone Keeper to paint as well as add detail to the rest of the models as well as attempting to learn how to use Battle Chronicler to make battle reports as I seem to have lost the knack.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-13, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Default A bit more paint

So I got a bit of time today to put some more paint on the Battlegroup set, I still haven't paid much attention to Kaya as yet but have instead focussed on the Beasts.

Group Shot

Winter Argus

Argus

Feral Warpwolf

I'm a lot happier with the Flesh colour of the Feral Warpwolf, however it does still require wash and highlight as well as all the detail work completed on each of the three above painted miniatures, still bases to do once I find my basing things

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode