Return to Cryx - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Default Return to Cryx

So years ago my army was sold by a family member by accident and I am thinking about buying a cryx starter box and maybe a unit or two besides that. I already play Warhammer 40k and have 3 armies, so I am wanting to get an army setup that will be effective without buying one of every unit out there. Are the models still as durable as they used to be? Everything used to be pewter but I imagine everything is plastic at, least partially, now. What units would you guys suggest to buy. Also I was thinking I might go with Cygnar but do a Cryx theme and redo all their markings as the Cryx symbol. Is one better than the other?

Szarekh, the Silent King in my mind.

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-13, 09:46 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
So years ago my army was sold by a family member by accident and I am thinking about buying a cryx starter box and maybe a unit or two besides that. I already play Warhammer 40k and have 3 armies, so I am wanting to get an army setup that will be effective without buying one of every unit out there. Are the models still as durable as they used to be? Everything used to be pewter but I imagine everything is plastic at, least partially, now. What units would you guys suggest to buy. Also I was thinking I might go with Cygnar but do a Cryx theme and redo all their markings as the Cryx symbol. Is one better than the other?
Cryx actually has very few models that aren't metal - they're one of the last to get plastic troop options, so they'll be as durable as you remember them. Only the basic Jack kits are plastic now, but it's quite a hard plastic anyway, and pretty strong I've found (I don't have the plastic Cryxian jacks though), and the Wraith Engine and the Kraken (Colossal) are in resin. I think the bane Knights also have resin shoulderpads (but the rest of the model is metal). The Cryx battlebox is a great place to start as well, as the light bone-jacks and pDenegrah are great pieces.

Both Cryx and Cygnar are very viable - as for the Cryxian Cygnar, I've seen it done very well before, and it can be extremely awesome. Here's the Cryxnar theme for ideas if you decide to go this route:
Cryx-nar: an epic conversion adventure

Both Cryx and Cygnar are quite competitive, though Cygnar usually likes to make use of mercenaries for it's front line troops. If you go Cryx, I might recommend getting some Bane Thralls and Mechanitralls - both are great troops, and will serve you well - but don't load up on too many jacks, as Cryx can't run them all that well (One or two heavies at most, outside of Mortenebra).

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 07-12-13 at 10:44 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-13, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

ah see I have always liked the idea of running lots of jacks. Thanks for all of your advice so far. Like I said I used to play cryx and they were pretty sweet. I was thinking about buying the starter box and then getting a box of the defilers and the other new bonejacks,(not the helldiver or the deathripper but the other one).

Don't worry you foul little creature, I have no intention of killing you today. Come stand next to me and watch your world burn and understand the meaning of the word futility.

My Tyranid Log

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-13, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Also that's a lot like what I was panning on doing but I want to scrape off the cygnar symbols and put the cryx symbols. All of the voltaic energy will be painted with a purple-ish glow and the army will primarily be black cryx symbols red high lights and lots of grays and blacks.

My Tyranid Log
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-13, 12:22 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricktroller View Post
Also that's a lot like what I was panning on doing but I want to scrape off the cygnar symbols and put the cryx symbols. All of the voltaic energy will be painted with a purple-ish glow and the army will primarily be black cryx symbols red high lights and lots of grays and blacks.
Sounds awesome, I'd love to see that. I think that could be pulled off very effectively, and the purple glows will work well with a darker pallet.

Cygnar can definitely run a few jacks in most lists, especially with it's own Junior warcaster and two new character warcasters to come, and some good Jack marshals like the Gun Mage officer.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 03:02 AM

Aggy's Flag is: USA

There is a caster coming out next year that is a cygnar caster but turns into a cryx caster in it's epic version. I would get this caster once he comes out, it will be sometime in August 2014, and build from there. Sorry I can't remember the name of this dual caster.

Death to the false Emperor!!!!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 04:22 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I need to play. I have a cygnar and cryx army so this thread is very interesting to me as well.

What books should I buy?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 04:28 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Do you have MK1 or MK2 cards for the models? Beyond the main rule book and the cards you don't need any other book.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 05:52 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I have no idea what cards I have. Any way to tell what the newest rulebook is?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 05:59 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Probably, I can't look out up here at work. Might be able yo Google the card.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode