First thoughts of the system as a 40k player. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Default First thoughts of the system as a 40k player.

Played a few games over the holiday weekend. Two 15pt games against a Khador player and a 20pt game against Legion. Didn't do any scenarios, just lined up across from each other and attempted to whack each other's Warcaster.

1. Holy fuck the game goes fast. I knew it would but being told and playing are two different things. Even with time spent referencing rules and discussing units it was still under a hour for each game. As a 40k player I am used to even small gamed taking a bit of time. As I get more games in it will play out even quicker I think.

2. Small mistakes can mean the end of a large chunk of your force. I am playing Menoth and did not place my Choir well first game. One 4 inch AoE later they were gone. The second game I sent my Crusader (heavy Jack) a little two far forward. It got waxed when the Legion war beast charged it. With so few models on the board and so much raw damage output possible your army can be hamstringed in a single turn.

3. Even if your vastly behind you can pull out a win. Warcasters can be burly in a pinch. It seems they become more dangerous as the game goes on. I pretty much lost everything but my caster and a crippled jack. Next turn I manage to get my caster in position and put a beat down on the other caster, win for me. The Legion game was the flip of this, I was whittling his army down and he suddenly dives thru everything via pathfinder and fury spells and nukes my caster with his.

Overall I have been impressed with the system. The game takes less time, space, and money than 40k. At the same time it is fun and the models for the most part look great. The system is basic enough that my 9 yr old daughter is pucking it up, bit deep enough tactically to make me think. As I get more games in I will start putting more posts down in these forums.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 12:37 PM

Welcome to the brutal world of WM/H, and yes the game does go fast when you're just let loose beating the crap out of eachother.

The usual progression if 15pts all jacks/beasts > add solo > add unit > alternate caster > play scenario and just build pts as you go. I do recommend playing scenario as soon as you can though as thats where the game is at it's best, also don't be afraid of trying timed turns even if you use longer turns than the steamroller pack suggests. It can add a new element to the game even when you've played your army and the scenarios plenty.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I am willing to try scenarios but most of the people playing at the moment are new like me. It is a new game store and the owners are getting into the system. Figure I will show for a couple more weeks then push for that aspect of the game.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 01:54 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
I am willing to try scenarios but most of the people playing at the moment are new like me. It is a new game store and the owners are getting into the system. Figure I will show for a couple more weeks then push for that aspect of the game.
The scenarios in the book are pretty basic, but can be fun. Try Moshpit and No Man's Land, both of which work well in low point games just to keep the action fast, the others I find work best in 25+ (usually 35) point games, just because they require capturing multiple points, which can be very hard with low model counts.

If you want a few more missions, check out the Steamroller 2013 pack (or 2012/2011 packs) for lots of extra scenarios

As for keeping your infantry safe, remember that you can spread out up to your CMD away from your leader - your choir boys can be up to 17" apart if need be, so you have no excuse for having them all bunched up. Getting used to infantry being so independent is one big change from 40k I find.

What have you got for you Menoth so far, out of interest?

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

So far I have the set from the two player starter and choir. Figured I would get more games in before I went much further. The ability to start a whole other army for the price of a 40k flyer has me taking my time with the system purchases.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 03:28 PM

#2 Supply and Demand
#3 Close Quarters
Are both good central based scenarios from the 2013 steamroller pack, i've never liked the ones from the book and i've always used the steamroller ones instead as they are generally been more interesting.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 04:00 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
So far I have the set from the two player starter and choir. Figured I would get more games in before I went much further. The ability to start a whole other army for the price of a 40k flyer has me taking my time with the system purchases.
I can remember looking at either upgrading my Bretonnians just to be reasonably viable for 8th ed, or getting a 50pt Menoth list with options for the same price, so I know that feeling

I would suggest grabbing a Vassal of Menoth (not to be confused with a Vassal Mechanik or Vessel of Menoth), which is a cheap solo who we get a lot of use out of. That will bring your 2 player box and choir up to 25pts pretty nicely. The Vassal is the other half of our brilliant jack support, and he'll be your Vanquishers best friend, as he lets it shoot a second of those lovely templates a turn. He is an easy buy, and something you'll always get heaps of use from.

Then, when you're ready to upgrade, a nice big front line unit, for which I'd suggest either Temple Flameguard, Zealots or Exemplar Errants, depending on which flavor takes your fancy. Take your time though, as you say there's no hurry, and the small games are always a blast.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

The Vassal bypasses RoF limitations?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 10:55 PM

yes it's an out of activation melee or ranged attack ignoring RoF
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Nice, and the thing is under 10 bucks, my next purchase I think.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode