Need 40k Player Insight for WarmaHordes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Default Need 40k Player Insight for WarmaHordes

So, I've had a new FLGS open by my apartment and they are trying to get a slow grow league going for WarmaHordes in the next few weeks. I've decided to join in the League to support the new store and would like some insight from my fellow Heretics on the subject of faction choosing.

Is anyone able to make comparisons to how the factions of WarmaHordes plays in relation to 40K?

Like as a SM player what army do you guys feel would be a simple transition to jump into?

I'm really talking from a game play perspective. Like is there an army that's gonna give me the small elite force feel? Force that specializes in combined arms combat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 11:41 AM

Alsojames's Flag is: Canada

Well Space Marines are big, tough, strong, but small in number, so I'd say a Khador Man'o'war army with several 'jacks.

Necrons W3 T0 L1

Death Korps W1 T0 L1

Dark Elves W0 T0 L0
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsojames View Post
Well Space Marines are big, tough, strong, but small in number, so I'd say a Khador Man'o'war army with several 'jacks.
And as soon as you transition to scenario games which is what the game is built around lose every game. Despite what it appears Khador does not run jack or man o war heavy armies because the casters cannot spare enough focus to run more than 1-2 jacks and man o wars are too slow to be able to get into position.

Menoth Bastions however while also slow hit like trucks and sanguine bond makes them incredibly tough to kill. Combine that with the new solo + defenders ward you have a unit that is a pain to deal with. Again their issue is their speed so you need something else to be able to run infront and screen them/contest zones/flags. Either zealots or temple flameguard either with UA should do the job. Back this up with 1-2 jacks (Reckoner & Vanquisher are both fantastic jacks) plus choir and you have the startings of a decent army that you can expand.

As for caster probably pKreoss, he's a really good all round buff caster with a fantastic set of spells and feat.

Edit: Just spoke to my mate who is probably one of the best menoth players in the UK suggested vindictus who also has defenders ward but also true path giving +2SPD and pathfinders to warrior models, he is just let down by a weak feat but that shouldn't matter too much with a bastion brick bearing down someones throat.

Last edited by OpTi; 05-17-13 at 03:53 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-13, 04:26 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

There's really no "space marine" army, per se, and each army has a mix of traits and styles that are heavily dependent on caster. Honestly, any army can do a small, more elite list if it wants, though if you go for more Jacks and fewer infantry, you'll probably get what you want.

Khador - Soviet style. While a lot of people see their nice chunky jacks and think they must be the center of the army, they are actually generally the faction who takes the fewest jacks, usually only taking one or maybe two outside of a couple of casters who can run more. They actually really love their infantry, and many specialized infantry units generally make the bulk of their armies. While you can get more elite heavy infantry, Khador has a real love for a few units of it's lighter infantry, so it's probably not the best choice, unless you plan to relegate yourself to just a few casters who like Jack-heavy lists. They can shoot, they can be elite, but they generally like quite a bit of infantry in many lists, so maybe not.

Protectorate of Menoth - Religious zealots, much in the vein of the religious fanatics of the Imperium (but with devotion to Menoth rather than the Emperor). These guys actually are the best Jack faction in the game currently, with lots of Jack support, but their infantry is pretty damn good too. Their other big game-play theme is Denial, with many abilities that can mess with opponents game plans. You'll generally want at least one unit of infantry to be blockers, as our jacks are a bit slow and better at counter-punching, but they can actually go quite jack heavy on most lists, which makes them a good candidate for you. The only thing is that outside our Jacks, our infantry doesn't do shooty very well(but some of our jacks can do shooty VERY well, especially with the right support). I'd definitely list it as a possible for you.

Cygnar - the "good" guys (well, comparitively good, they've still got a lot of skeletons in their closest), and fluff wise the richest and most technologically advanced, they are the best ranged faction in the game. I'd compare them to Tau, except they don't suck in Melee, and they do the Combined Arms thing pretty well. While they don't have heavy infantry, they do have a few worthy jack marshals, and a few casters who love jacks, which can keep your force small and "elite". Definitely a possible.

Cryx - These guys are tricky and love debuffs. They're often a bit of a glass cannon, with lots of damage potential, but if you can get around their tricks, they're boned (being the undead, often quite literally). They love infantry, often lots of infantry or infantry that comes back to life or model that can create more infantry. They're pretty poor at shooting for the most part, so I wouldn't recommend them for combined armies. Probably not what you're looking for.

Hordes armies -

Legion of Everblight - they love beasts, and you can easily have lists with just beasts and a few solos, which makes it very small and elite. They can do shooting quite well in a few lists, though they love melee as well. It might be worth looking into.

Trollbloods - They like infantry more than any other Hordes faction, they're tough and hardy, generally hard. Their shooting isn't generally the best, but there's a few lists that really bring it to the fore, and they have a few units of heavy infantry/cavalry that really help keep the model count down. They are a bit Ork like, except that they don't tend to swarm - think of them as an ork army that's made up of just the elite stuff and nobs rather than a green tide. Combined arms and they can be made pretty elite, so a maybe for you.

Skorne - generally doesn't do much shooting, so probably not what you're looking for.

Circle Oboros - is a more tricksy glass cannon faction, with lots of movement shenanigans. They do some shooting (well, spell slinging), but probably not as much as other factions.

Hope that helps narrow down things a bit. I can give a bit more concise info on any of the factions if you're interested in them.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for that Maddermax. Only question I have now is what about ret of Scyrah?

How do they fit in?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 02:37 PM

Ah, the Angry Elves. They are... extremely difficult to pigeon hole about play style. They've got a toolbox of abilities, they're great all-rounders (lots of combined arms stuff), though they tend to focus a little more on Assassination than attrition. Just about all of their jacks do ranged and melee competently, focusing on that flexibility/combined arms theme. They usually don't go overboard on jacks, just because they have some amazing infantry, but they do have a fair few elite infantry units.

Out of interest, which sort of armies do you like the look of? Or are there other points about play-style that interest you? Just thinking we could narrow this down a bit for you

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 05-18-13 at 02:41 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-13, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

To be honest, there isn't a single army that has an overall "look" that I'm in love with. I like the look of the Cygnar and Ret jacks but their units don't do much for me. Can't get into the Soviet look of Khador, nor am I fan of Cryx beyond their Warcasters. Don't like the Menoth Jacks and their solo/casters are very hit or miss for me.

I guess I would say I like the look of Cygnar the best with ret following behind
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 06:48 AM

I've not played WarmaHordes yet but just for an alternative:
From the look of things on the Battle College website, the Mercenaries and Minions lists seem to have a good range of units and they're a bit different to the other factions.

For Minions, you have Hogs or Gatormen (which are obviously a lot more feral).
For Mercenaries, you have everything from light (including sailors/pirates) and heavy infantry to jacks, but they don't have to be all one style if you don't want, so you can pick and choose units to suit whatever appearance you're wanting.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it might be worth looking at?

Urgently trying to trace any living relatives of Private Sam/Samuel "Jock" Wilson (Black Watch, No. 6 Commando, UK Army Service ID 2764432, died 10.06.44). Any info/suggestions gratefully received.

"Mockles! Pent on silpen tree, blockards three a-feening. Mockles! What silps came to thee, in thy pantry, dreaming?"

Please check out the HOES (Heresy Online Stories) threads and vote for the tales.
More feedback = better stories for everyone.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
To be honest, there isn't a single army that has an overall "look" that I'm in love with. I like the look of the Cygnar and Ret jacks but their units don't do much for me. Can't get into the Soviet look of Khador, nor am I fan of Cryx beyond their Warcasters. Don't like the Menoth Jacks and their solo/casters are very hit or miss for me.

I guess I would say I like the look of Cygnar the best with ret following behind
Well, Cygnar has a pretty big range of infantry models and styles, from knights in shining armour to electric knights to gunmages (tri-corn hatted pistol duelists) to trenchers (almost a bit like WW1 infantry in heavy armour). They also get the most choice of (and use out of) various Mercenary units, which increases that further.

Strangely enough for me, I'm the opposite about Ret - I've always liked their infantry, but I'm not sold on their jack style. That said, occasionally I'll see a really brilliant paint job on the Jacks, and see why people like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygorn View Post
I've not played WarmaHordes yet but just for an alternative:
From the look of things on the Battle College website, the Mercenaries and Minions lists seem to have a good range of units and they're a bit different to the other factions.

For Minions, you have Hogs or Gatormen (which are obviously a lot more feral).
For Mercenaries, you have everything from light (including sailors/pirates) and heavy infantry to jacks, but they don't have to be all one style if you don't want, so you can pick and choose units to suit whatever appearance you're wanting.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it might be worth looking at?
Well, asthetically I've always loved the Merc stuff, but the thing is I don't generally recommend them to beginners, just because force building is far more complicated than other factions, because of the nature of Mercs. You see, Mercs are not a normal faction, but are several mini-factions all piled in together, with some overlap. There's the Rhulic Dwarves (Searforge), the Pirates (The Talion Charter), both of which consist of very narrow ranges of models, and the more generalist Highborne Covenant (Laelese freedom fighters and their allies), and Four Star (guns for hire), both of whom include some pirates, some Rhulic dwarves and a bunch of general Mercs. It makes it far more complex to plan out a force and purchases as a beginner, until you learn the ropes. I mean, it's definitely doable if someone likes the models, but it require a bit more forethought and planning before jumping in.

It's the same with Minions, except that Gatormen and Thornfall (Pigmen) have almost no overlap, and are basically two individual mini-factions.

The advantage of those factions though is they make great stepping stones for jumping into other factions, as most models work for certain other factions, so you can get use of them when playing them as Mercs, or when playing them in a main faction.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Last edited by maddermax; 05-20-13 at 10:38 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 09:12 PM

MaidenManiac's Flag is: Sweden

A buddy jumped on the Mercenaries ship and that ship is fucking huge man. All the Warmachine fractions have more choices then the Hordes ones but Mercenaries is on a whole new level of options. It looks like a hell a fun to me, but also a huge mess to get the hang on quickly.

TBH the best bet is imo to go for the fraction with the models you fancy the most as a whole. All fractions have solid choices in the game, there are no "4th ed" codices in HordeMachine so to speak

Win/Draw/Loss(5th ed results)
EC: 45/2/12
Tau: 28/3/7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Common sense and wargamers are like oil and water
Quote:
'Alessio is to 40k what impotence is to rape.' - Jezlad

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode