New to Warmachine, have a few questions about my army. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-13, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Default New to Warmachine, have a few questions about my army.

Just picked started up as Protectorate of Menoth, so far my favorite casters are Vindictus, and Servath Reznik.
I want to go jack heavy, would these casters be more useful then any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-13, 03:17 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prourian View Post
Just picked started up as Protectorate of Menoth, so far my favorite casters are Vindictus, and Servath Reznik.
I want to go jack heavy, would these casters be more useful then any others?
The good news is that Menoth has a pretty easy time for most of it's casters going jack heavy, so you should be fine taking a few jacks with any caster. The bad news is that Vindictus is best as an infantry heavy caster. Not that he can't take jacks (With his spell Sacrificial Lamb he can even run quite a few), but his True Path spell (which gives all Warrior models in his CTRL +2" movement and pathfinder) is sort of his defining feature, and his other spells and feat tend to favor infantry more than Jacks. Running a couple of heavies and a light is definitely possible, but he'll usually want some infantry in the list anyway.

Reznik is what I'd call a Jack buddy - not a jack caster, per se, but he likes having a few good jacks with him and he can buff them very nicely. He loves having 2-3 heavies and maybe a light, but struggles taking more than that in his battle group without his focus being stretched too far. He'll gladly take more if they don't require focus, and loves the Avatar if he wants an extra jack.

That said, Menoth has many ways to stretch focus to help him fit more jacks in. The Avatar, Sancifier jacks, Reclaimer solos, Wracks and so on really help our casters run jacks. Any list can easily fit in Wracks for an extra focus, an the Avatar is a great addition to any list when you want an extra jack - it runs itself, so no strain on your caster. Reclaimers and Sanctifiers collect souls to make focus, so as long as you have enough infantry around, they'll give you focus (but it can be a little unreliable, especially if your reclaimer gets shot).

So for jack heavy I would say Yes to Reznik and a maybe to Vindictus. Other good jack heavy casters for us are the Harbinger (well, she's great with anything, but 10 focus can be good for lots of jacks), Feora2 and Amon Ad-Raza (I'd recommend staying away from him when you're new, he loves swarms of light jacks, but he's far to easy to kill). Casters you'll want to avoid are Grand Exemplar Kreoss (AKA Kreoss2) and Thyra, both of whom don't like too many jacks. The other casters all take 2-4 jacks generally, so a middle amount.

Hope that helps.

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 03-29-13 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! This helped a hell of a lot! :D I was thinking about making a big infantry list, and a big jack list. So I'll definently use Vindictus for that. Aman Ad-Raza was someone I was definently looking into. In fact I basically love all the warcasters hah.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-13, 03:18 PM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prourian View Post
Thank you! This helped a hell of a lot! :D I was thinking about making a big infantry list, and a big jack list. So I'll definently use Vindictus for that. Aman Ad-Raza was someone I was definently looking into. In fact I basically love all the warcasters hah.
Amon can be a fun, if sometimes frustrating caster to play. Unfortunately, his abilities want him to be up near the front lines, casting his signature spells, and to use his Feat. Unfortunately, he doesn't have anything to keep him alive once he's up there beyond his DEF 16, and between usually running a bunch of jacks and his feat (which requires him to spend a lot of focus to use), he usually can't camp much focus to help raise his armor from it's paltry 14. There's a juggling act of keeping him alive while trying to get the most out of his Synergy spell.

Synergy, by the way, gives +1 to hit and damage for each jack that hits. So, if you have 3 jacks that hit, the 4th one will have +3/+3 to it's stats, and if you take a lot of lights, that can build up to ridiculous levels, but it takes a lot of skill and practice to get much out of it, and it can fizzle badly if you don't get everything activating in the right sequence.

So basically, he's an interesting caster, but getting the most out of him, and keeping him alive require a hell of a lot of practice. Grab him if you like him, but just be prepared for his steep learning curve

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Tabletop Wargames > Warmachine, Hordes & Other Privateer Press Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode