Beastmen, why not ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Beastmen, why not ?

Hey guys

as i did not found any topic that vould reasemble this one, ima creating this myself.

Soo the first thing i d like to put on the table. . . . is the Razorgor.

No matter how i look at them - they cost the same as minotaurs would, but with the difference that compared to them they . . . suck. Yeh, at least for me i really didnt found a true use for them. Lets ask why ?
They have a weaker WS and really low LD. Cannot have any type of "comand boar" thus you need to keep them close to your BSB or general. Better T and +1 S to impact hits doesnt really cut this for me. The one point more in movement aint such sunshine either.

In general - does anybody actually use these ragged oversized piggies, and if ye, whats the best way to make use of them ?
Thx for the reply anyway.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 06-14-11 at 02:39 PM. Reason: multi-post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 07:25 PM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

On first glance, these pigs aren't anything to write home about.

For most Beastlords, these are an essential tool of the herd.

They can do many things.
  • Charge and hold up weak blocks.
  • Hunt warmachines.
  • hunt light cav.
  • Do some wounds to heavy cav.
  • ASSASSINATE characters: I can't state how important this is.
  • add flank attacks.
yes their LD is low. They cause fear, and most units, do not.

They are a cheap 55 points and in most scenarios, more reliable than Minos. Let's see why

T5 vs T4 and light armor.:That's almost a no brainer.
can run solo: you don't have to invest in minimum 3.
Fast: These pigs are M7 and swift stride. They can crash through woods w/o penalty.
Expendable: If they take heavy fire, so what? They die, and that's 55 points lost, that could have been untold number of points out of your valued core/special units (pricey bestigors) Light shooting at far range will almost never hurt them. Put them in woods to give them even more chance of survival. I've had elf archers try to hurt them and no-go.
Tactics: fling them far and wide. Take the flanks you want and add PRESSURE to the enemy general.
Immune to KB: Well, mino's are too, but facing Grave guard? Fling two of these guys into combat and hold up that deathstar.

IMO, razorgors trump minos 9/10 cases.

With r-gors, harpies and ungor raiders, the map should be a mess and chaos for the enemy.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thx for advice !

Im just a young unexperienced wargor who just recently started WFB soo i might do some mistakes, in the questions i might ask as well
As for what i use. The backbone of my army are the bestigors, with one wargor acting as BSB and one greater bray shaman - who is general. Having the flag that gives you 1+ but doesnt stack with general LD, this bulk can chop anything down. (srsly, with primal fury rerolls, i took down ushabtis, riders and other stuff). The only con, is that they die as well since Two hand veapons Initiative, soo the numbers diminish eventually.
Just today i tried harpies with scout upgrade. They are excellent as anty artillery unit. Chopped down my friends catapult in second round, and then managed to block his skeleton archers for 2 more rounds - enough time for me to charge in with the bestigor warherd.

I see your point with the razorgors. Makes me wanna try them, just for the crowd control abylity. They are immune to KB ? how comes ? i didnt found it in their rules... same goes for the swift stride, and the "forest slow ignore" or how should i call it. Are we speaking about the same edition ? coz i really dont see this anywhere
just HOW can those piggies assassinate ? i kinda cant imagine this :O

- Wouldnt be the core Tuskgor charriot be better ? though it costs more, it allows you to make the point gap (since you dont have tu use special unit points on it) and it can make same mess as tuskgor.

Last edited by Myrdin; 06-13-11 at 08:41 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-11, 10:11 PM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdin View Post
Thx for advice !

Im just a young unexperienced wargor who just recently started WFB soo i might do some mistakes, in the questions i might ask as well
No harm asking. That and doing are how youlearn.

As for what i use. The backbone of my army are the bestigors,
It depends on how you build your army. I too, love the bestigors. Sometimes a HUGE block of gors (w/ magic support) can work wonders, but nothing beats Bestigors....well, in our army.
Just never ever ever ever put them vs Swordmasters.

with one wargor acting as BSB and one greater bray shaman - who is general. Having the flag that gives you 1+ but doesnt stack with general LD, this bulk can chop anything down. (srsly, with primal fury rerolls, i took down ushabtis, riders and other stuff). The only con, is that they die as well since Two hand veapons Initiative, soo the numbers diminish eventually.

That's very true. ASL hurts. However with magic support ( a must for all beasts) they can last longer. Drop the enemies WS or toss on Wyssans, and they're more durable.
Sadly, they're the ONLY unit in our army that can take a magic banner (huge flaw in book), so this or the flaming banner. I prefer the flaming most of the time, but if you run ENOUGH bestigors (horde) or stubborn, you can just hurl more attacks.

Just today i tried harpies with scout upgrade. They are excellent as anty artillery unit. Chopped down my friends catapult in second round, and then managed to block his skeleton archers for 2 more rounds - enough time for me to charge in with the bestigor warherd.
Harpies are great for harrassment and blocking WM's line of sight. with two attacks and high I, they're a great buy.

I see your point with the razorgors. Makes me wanna try them, just for the crowd control abylity. They are immune to KB ? how comes ? Monsters are only KB'd by 'heroic killing blow'.

i didnt found it in their rules... same goes for the swift stride, and the "forest slow ignore" or how should i call it.
a lot of this is just reading up. Monsters can crash through woods. Read up the monster section. Monstrous beasts have 'swift stride' and the Razor gor is? A monstrous beast.
hence, 3d6+7 M.

Are we speaking about the same edition ? coz i really dont see this anywhere
just HOW can those piggies assassinate ?
Run them into the character in x unit. Allocate all attacks vs that model/ char. Many times wizards are on the end, and you can minimize attacks by getting in on the end. You can't be challenged (as razors are not chars) and just dump everyone of your attacks on the BSB's / lvl 2 etc.
if a wizard is alone, just charge him. Unless mounted, there's no way he can escape. T5 and S6 (charging) is nothing to laugh at. Remember your fear causing. Low LDR units outside BSB bubble are vulnerable.

i kinda cant imagine this :O

- Wouldnt be the core Tuskgor charriot be better ? though it costs more, it allows you to make the point gap (since you dont have tu use special unit points on it) and it can make same mess as tuskgor.
Recently, I've fallen out of love w/ the Tuskagor Chariot. Low str, t4....nothing special. Impact hits? Yes.
It's a free 3 wound 80 points to any cannon/etc. Razorgor chariots have better T, more wounds and have more high str attacks. They can follow up and break ranks with brute force. Not only that, but they CAN stick around due to the Razorgor....who GETS PRIMAL FURY on a chariot. Huge huge diff.

Hope that helps.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

woah, that sure does, thx for the exhausting answer. I think next time i play i ll try at least one or two of that brute force boars, just to see how they perform with the rest of the horde.

Thx again, and sorri for my bad grammar.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode