War Hydras - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-11, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Default War Hydras

As a Dark Elf player myself, I know the proper damage that a War Hydra can do. With T5, 4+ armor and Regeneration, it's one of the tougher monsters to kill out there, with 7A, a breath weapon, 6 Beastmaster attacks and Thunderstomp, it's a unit blender. And at 175 points, you can rely on it not being that big of a deal to lose, as long as it makes a splash. So, how do some of you deal with these five-headed monstrosities? Ideally, you'd want to use something that doesn't get a good portion of a unit eaten, or that distracts a big combat block from the Cold One Knight or Black-Guard units that might be coming your way.

Personally, I'm afraid of Dwarven flaming Cannons, and high-strength units with the flaming banner. When I played my High Elf friend, since I was a big part of the metagame with my scary Hydras, he'd put the flaming banner on a high-strength unit. White Lions and Swordmasters come to mind. The trick is to get them into contact with the Hydra. Bolt Throwers can do decently if they get through the regen, but they're a lesser threat. Any ideas from the rest of Heresy?

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 08:16 AM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

You're right on many accounts.
4+/4+ save.
Terror causing,
breath weapon
dump trucks of attacks

It's a real monster.
When you consider it's one of the best values out there, it becomes a 'no brainer' in many lists.

As a beastman player, If i KNEW I was running against it, I would try this

A doombull/ gorebull solo with the dragon helm and asf sword. Can't be thunderstomped, 2+ ward vs your fire, not bad. Plus good all around.

My main unit: Beast lord w/ blackened plate and flaming banner on Bestigors. 2+ ward vs fire on BL, 4+ on the unit, str 6 flaming attacks on the hydra means you shouldn't last more than one-2 rounds top, with minimal effect to me.

In magic phase? Ruby ring of ruin + Lore of beasts for "amber spear' with the hag-tree fetish (allows re-rolls on to wounds) Hit you with the ruby ring for flaming, take off regen, then huck the spear.

Maybe even toss some chariots your way just to hold you up.

Even causing a wound before you get your flaming attack helps a lot. S4 flaming is far less devastating than s5. Hell, I'd be overjoyed with s3, but that's asking a lot.

Do impact hits from doombull/mino or chariot get resolved before in combat shooting? Seems like it would...but don't know

How do you run your hydras? Are they there to support main blocks? Flankers? I'm dying to know as I'm getting m DE army off the ground.

I just got the 'rusted heroes' hydra in,
http://images.frpgames.com/products/product_72547.jpg
I'm pretty excited to use the guy
(I cannot stand the GW hydra)

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 08:27 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

As an empire Player i would just cannon ball it, sure you get regen, but you are bound to fail at least one hit from 3 cannons. (Providing they dont misfire!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

1. Impact hits go before anything else. Breath weapon goes at initiative.

2. There's lots of ways to run Hydras. I usually stack mine on a flank after deployment, and have them hunt targets of opportunity like shooting units, or squishy blocks of infantry without high strength. If I face an enemy deathstar, they're flanking elements for my Cold One Knight bus, and combined, they can basically fuck everything. Not much lives to all those S5/S6 attacks. And, if I keep the CoK's just a bit back, they focus more on the Hydras than the CoK's, who cost more than both Hydras.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 08:27 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Panic... its my main weapon against hydras. Although it has lost some of its effectiveness from 7th.

I used to enjoy firing flaming skulls through the handlers and watching as they eitehr died and caused monster reactions, or just caused a panic check after taking a wound... sadly that can't be done anymore. What I can do is to use braingobbler from my ogres to cause panic checks or just target units close by the hydras (small flanking units are a nice target). Since hydras are often used as flankers they are rarely close by the general/BSB, and Ld8 is really not that good.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-11, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Panic... its my main weapon against hydras. Although it has lost some of its effectiveness from 7th.

I used to enjoy firing flaming skulls through the handlers and watching as they eitehr died and caused monster reactions, or just caused a panic check after taking a wound... sadly that can't be done anymore. What I can do is to use braingobbler from my ogres to cause panic checks or just target units close by the hydras (small flanking units are a nice target). Since hydras are often used as flankers they are rarely close by the general/BSB, and Ld8 is really not that good.
Hmm, it's a possible counter. How about if they're being used as support elements for a CoK bus? That unit almost always has the Dreadlord in there.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 04:01 PM

Damn repeater crossbow throwers on top of an Anvil of Vaul made a right mess of my hydras in one game.
It wouldn't normally be a problem, except we rolled two of the damn things for the game and my opponent got to place to the first bit and won first deployment... Was pretty bad luck.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's more luck than anything else. You can't rely on getting an Anvil of Vaul every game.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-11, 09:26 PM

Every time I've killed my mate's War Hydra with my WoC, it's been a maxxed out Fireball that's done it. 3D6 S4 Flaming Attacks usually does the trick in a cast or two. I usually also take a unit of Chaos Knights led by an Exalted Champion with a Chaos Runesword and add the Banner of Eternal Flame, which is death for most big regenerating nasties.

The emergency option is to tank it with a big block of sword n' board Warriors with the MoT for a 5+ Parry, and then cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin on them to give the +1 to Wound and Flaming Attacks. Not ideal (casualties are expensive) but soon results in dead gribblies.

TBH, I find 90% of scary things in 8th can be seen off by judicious application of the Lore of Fire. Fireball is just so versatile

Armies and other stuff:
http://majere613.deviantart.com/
Short stories and writing:
http://thetheleniccurriculum.blogspot.co.uk/
My novel, The Wake of Manadar, on Kindle:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-11, 07:41 AM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majere613 View Post
Every time I've killed my mate's War Hydra with my WoC, it's been a maxxed out Fireball that's done it. 3D6 S4 Flaming Attacks usually does the trick in a cast or two. I usually also take a unit of Chaos Knights led by an Exalted Champion with a Chaos Runesword and add the Banner of Eternal Flame, which is death for most big regenerating nasties.
I thought that magic weapons don't benefit from Flaming banners?
Or is the Runesword some sort of flaming attack.

Also, flickering fire of tzeentch. Easy spell that most people take anyways.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode