Skink Priest Wargear - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

MidnightKid333's Flag is: Canada

Default Skink Priest Wargear

what are the best magic weapons and/or upgreades to give to a skink priest? In my lists, ive been giving him the level 2 upgrade and the plaque of sotek, so i have a reasonable selection of magical powers. should he be given special magic weapons of any kind such as rod of the storm or something similar?

Should i have him follow my skinks around for a bit more strength and obscurity or move him around on his own?

I just want to know if theres a more effective way to use him rather than tailoring him for magical power availability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 08:12 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Frankly, I just take a scroll-caddy (or the 8th edition equivalent, anyway). Level 1 with Dispel Scroll. Lets me block spells I need to (yeah, yeah, powerscroll, I know). I've also been toying with the idea of taking one with the forbidden rod, in order to mitigate poor winds of magic rolls. In either case, the priest rarely casts anything (since Heavens is rather lacklustre) and is pretty much subvervient to the Slann.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 12:37 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just use him as a line of sight nobber for the Slann, it's all he's good for.

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 07:29 PM

Dragearen's Flag is: USA

I personally always take a L2 Skink Priest, so I have a chance of getting Comet, with a Dispel Scroll and a Curse-Charm, and it seems to work quite well. The Curse-Charm is a nice addition for how much it costs. Forcing an opponent to reroll on the miscast table is quite nice. Try and put him in a sturdy unit, Skinks are too sacrificial for that. If you have extra points lying around, consider an EoTG. Otherwise, I'd say put him in some Saurus or TG. The Priest should not be used for casting spells, that's what your Slann is for, and the Priest only takes away dice from the Slann. Now, if you roll the Comet, that's a different story.

Last edited by Dragearen; 06-03-11 at 07:32 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-11, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

yeah the comet sounds like fun, so i try to give the priest as much of a chance he has of getting it.

i never thought about giving him the dispel scroll though. the curse charm seems a bit pointless, since every miscast result on the table is pretty bad anyways. Maybe ill just downgrade him to a dispel caddy like you suggested.

i dont plan on ading a slaan to my force for a while, since, to be fielded effectively, he comes out at approx. 400 points, and my army isnt big enough to open that many points to be legal as a lord choice.

Dreagearans wargear loadout looked good, but id remove the cursecharm. the comet is awesome, but i use alot of skinks in my army, so its more likely for the comet to hit one of my skink units rather than the enemy, who plays HE so he wont have alot of bodies on the field.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-11, 01:08 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromrir Silverblade View Post
Just use him as a line of sight nobber for the Slann, it's all he's good for.
He's not even good for that anymore- Vassal (previously channeling) only works for magic missiles, and the main Slann lores have minimal amounts of magic missiles.

He' only really any good as a sacrifice for the benefit of the slann.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-11, 03:25 AM

I try to take a lvl 1 with the forbidden rod and the amulet that grants a 4+ vs the first wound. That way, it is possible for him to survive 2 wounds, but not 3. He is going to die but I can get good use of the forbidden rod (hopefully). If I have the points, I would also take a scroll caddy (or the cube of darkness).

Those two along with a life or light slann. I may even try to get one more in to take a dispel scroll along with the cube.

In a game today, the cube ended a magic phase where I had 5 dispel dice vs 10 power dice.

Forbidden rod gave me an additional 4 dice to my power pool (on a life slann, so I healed that up quickly).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-11, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

thats osunds like an awesome loadout, i might try that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode