beastmen tips anyone? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Amra_the_lion's Flag is: USA

Default beastmen tips anyone?

Hi all I just started beastmen the other day (first army in 8th ed) and I have a few questions about good choices and equipment loadouts.

Gors- extra hand weapons? seems the way to go with 8th eds extra rank attacks (I know the second rank looses the extra weapon bonus but its still a lot of attacks). How about with the horde rule? Better to run shields for survival?

Minotaurs- seems like greatweapons for the armor destruction? Do I run them in two ranks? or two units of 3?

Razorgors- worth anything? I have some proxies but I dont want to waste points.

For a lord I'm looking at a doombull with a flying carpet and some survivability items (4+ ward and the shield that discounts the first hit, or against cannons the 2+ ward vs flaming attacks).

anything else I should know about the beasts?

Thanks

"And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air;
And there came a great voice
Out the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying: It is done."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-11, 09:47 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm not a beast player so cant give a huge amount of adviuce, but I did give serious thought to starting them for 8th and have been listening to other players (and playing a few practice games with them).

Gors- I would take the extra hand weapon in small units, but if you want a large survivable block go with shields, especially if you are taking a hoard. If you already have 31 attacks from a hoard then +10 is that impressive, but +1AS and 6+ parry is fairly nice.

Minotaurs- you may as well run them 2 deep unless you are facing cannons. Units of either 6 or 8 (3*2 or 4*2) seem to work well. Great weapons are the way to go since AHW dont give them their full rank attacks and low I means you'll hit after most things anyway.

Razorgors- only used 1 myself and it wasnt that impressive, but I've heard a lot of people say a lot of good things about the unit... nothing good about the model though. Locally its called a pumbagor (since it looks like its been ripped from the lion king) or just the rabid pig...

Think very carefully about your lord choice. The biggest problem with beasts is their low Ld; personally I would take a Ld9 general and use him solely to bolster the army (ie kit him out to stand around and live). A BSB is also a must in any beasts army. As an example why: my ogres played beasts a while ago and I just braingobbler'd (panic check) 3/5 ambushing units off the board as well as making 2 batteline units run for a couple turns, terror got another ambusher to run away and fear worked chaos in combat... that army was max ld8, and ld6-7 ambushers and I had a skull mantle on my slaughtermaster (-1Ld to tests caused by him or his unit).

Other then the low leadership a few other things should be mentioned:
Slugtongue is awesome... he is a great choice and something I would always include.
Monsters are iffy, seriously iffy. most beast players on the board don't use them at all. Personally I would take a cygor or 2 for a bit of fun, but they would die really quickly to anyone with strong shooting or direct damage magic.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-11, 03:11 PM

sir_m1ke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
I'm not a beast player so cant give a huge amount of adviuce, but I did give serious thought to starting them for 8th and have been listening to other players (and playing a few practice games with them).

Gors- I would take the extra hand weapon in small units, but if you want a large survivable block go with shields, especially if you are taking a hoard. If you already have 31 attacks from a hoard then +10 is that impressive, but +1AS and 6+ parry is fairly nice.

Minotaurs- you may as well run them 2 deep unless you are facing cannons. Units of either 6 or 8 (3*2 or 4*2) seem to work well. Great weapons are the way to go since AHW dont give them their full rank attacks and low I means you'll hit after most things anyway.

Razorgors- only used 1 myself and it wasnt that impressive, but I've heard a lot of people say a lot of good things about the unit... nothing good about the model though. Locally its called a pumbagor (since it looks like its been ripped from the lion king) or just the rabid pig...

Think very carefully about your lord choice. The biggest problem with beasts is their low Ld; personally I would take a Ld9 general and use him solely to bolster the army (ie kit him out to stand around and live). A BSB is also a must in any beasts army. As an example why: my ogres played beasts a while ago and I just braingobbler'd (panic check) 3/5 ambushing units off the board as well as making 2 batteline units run for a couple turns, terror got another ambusher to run away and fear worked chaos in combat... that army was max ld8, and ld6-7 ambushers and I had a skull mantle on my slaughtermaster (-1Ld to tests caused by him or his unit).

Other then the low leadership a few other things should be mentioned:
Slugtongue is awesome... he is a great choice and something I would always include.
Monsters are iffy, seriously iffy. most beast players on the board don't use them at all. Personally I would take a cygor or 2 for a bit of fun, but they would die really quickly to anyone with strong shooting or direct damage magic.
Im pretty much quoting Tim/Steve for epic truth, all excellent points

Iv played Beastmen for about 6 months now on and off, few things i would add:

Gor equipment choices are purely down to the player. I personally run AHWs because i just dont roll enough 6s to make any use of the shields, and i need the extra attacks to drag my combat resolution up

Razorgors are brilliant units, iv dropped them currently purely because the current model is utter ass and my IOB-griffon conversion isnt finished yet, but they are a really solid choice- i would recommend them above Minotaurs

Chariots are your friends. Use them to smack skirmishers, missle troops and glass cannon units like swordmasters and GW-marauders about, then follow up with a good big unit of gors

dont underestimate the effectiveness of ungors- they are cheap and have stats just as good as a lot of other troops in the game, with spears in a good big steadfast unit they can be a solid rock

Lore of Shadows ftw, you need the debuffs to hit the enemy with and things like Mindrazor and Pit make up for some of the weaknesses that the army has

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-11, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Amra_the_lion's Flag is: USA

thanks for the help guys.I'll keep this all in mind

"And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air;
And there came a great voice
Out the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying: It is done."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-11, 06:23 PM

Beastmen tips? Well, long story short: http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-11, 04:11 AM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra_the_lion View Post
Hi all I just started beastmen the other day (first army in 8th ed) and I have a few questions about good choices and equipment loadouts.
Heya, I'll try to answer in Green. then some more after the quote

Gors- extra hand weapons? seems the way to go with 8th eds extra rank attacks (I know the second rank looses the extra weapon bonus but its still a lot of attacks). How about with the horde rule? Better to run shields for survival?

Shields are very deceptive. They cost as much as AHW, they give almost nothing AS, and a 6+PS. What does that do for you?
Pretty much nothing.
Most units are above 3 strength. those shields will not last past a strong breeze or even goblin sneezes.
AHW will provide more attacks from the front rank. 10 more (in horde formation) is a huge deal. With a decent WS and low/average base STR on your gors, they need this many attacks. With Primal fury, the amount of re-rolls to hit will ensure you have more 'to wounds' and successful wounds. These ten attacks (again, in horde) make a big deal. Bigger in small formations.
Gors, and beastmen, win by savagery, not stoic defenses. With shields, you're equipping to not lose. With AHW, you're equipping to win.
Low LDR means that we can't afford to lose combat. Almost never.
The cost of beastmen being higher than average, means that we need to make the most of our punch.
The TRUE defense comes from our T. This can be augmented with wyssan's wildform, making T5/ s4 monsters out of a 'core' unit.
(ok, other defenses really come with the synergy of fast hitting, and keeping the pressure elsewhere, but that's another topic)

Minotaurs- seems like greatweapons for the armor destruction? Do I run them in two ranks? or two units of 3?
Minotaurs are our glass cannons (you know, compared to our durable units....heh.) Their cost is already expensive. GW means they're hitting last....something you don't want. Especially against high armor targets who are usually very potent....and it means they're expensive to boot, bringing them over 60+ points a pop!!!
AHW is handy, shields are nice but you lose the parry save when frenzied. Many people run them naked to save valuable points. For the cost of their GWs on a unit of three, you've almost earned a smal lunit of ungor raiders!!!!

Minotaurs are troublesome to use, they're not for every list. They also vie for points with the very dependable and face smashing bestigors.

Razorgors- worth anything? I have some proxies but I dont want to waste points.

I cannot tell you how good razorgors are. T5, s6 on charge, stomping, fear causing sonsofbeetches that can ruin anyones day. They are a vital part of the beastman army as they are a jack of all trades. They can be used successfully for the following
  • taking out warmachines turn 2
  • taking out gunlines turn 2
  • assassinating chars in units
  • drawing out fanatics
  • combo charges
  • holding up deathstars
  • obliterating flanks/ rears.
  • outdeploying an enemy
  • taking on MSU
  • taking on ambushers
  • taking on vangaurd
  • .....and more!

For a lord I'm looking at a doombull with a flying carpet and some survivability items (4+ ward and the shield that discounts the first hit, or against cannons the 2+ ward vs flaming attacks).

Offensive doombulls can be amazing, but you really need some good leadership to keep the army together. if you do this, what would your general be?
I'm not saying to scrap the idea, but We (the beasts) do need ldr, or we crumble fast. So think about that in your army building.

anything else I should know about the beasts?

Thanks
Beasts are an army that thrive on synergy. We don't have many 'zomg' units and the good ones we have only survive due to support.
Magic can make or break you. Supporting with beasts and shadow sig spells can turn the battle.
Chariots and bestigors are very potent forces.
Ungor raiders can do amazing jobs harassing foes.

good luck!

check out the herdstone.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?

Last edited by blackspine; 05-17-11 at 04:14 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-11, 04:19 AM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

i just wanted to add: orc boar boyz boars make amazing razorgors with some green stuff and creativity.

also, try out

BSB: Wargor, HA, SH, gnarled hide (a gift, not magic) and Banner of the Beast
in a horde of AHW gors
S4/T4 gors
add wyssans
s5/t5

not much lives past re-rollable (potential) 40+ s5 hits.

it's unwieldy, but managable.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode