Sir_m1kes complete guide to the Lizardmen in 8th - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

sir_m1ke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Sir_m1kes complete guide to the Lizardmen in 8th

Howdy all

A while ago (back in the summer i think) i posted up a series of articles about my experiences and thoughts on the Lizardmen in 8e WHFB. I have recieved some messages etc. recently from people who have read one or 2 o the threads about completing the series, so here we go!

I will copy all of the separate threads into this one thread, using each post for a different section

The only section i HAVENT done is Rare choices- which is odd because i swear i did very confusing! but i will let people ask questions about the other sections and at some point ill throw the rare section up

so in the words of the Joker...

"and here....we....go!

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Lords

First of all, 8th edition is a blast. My friends and i dropped out at 6th and concentrated purely on 40k because Fantasy was...well...dull. 8th has brought pace and brutality back into warfare and i for one am glad of it!

The magic phase has seen a big change with the random pool of dice generated as well as the changes to IF/Miscasts which are linked and more brutal. The lizardmen have always been focussed around the slann as the centrepiece of the army and in 8th this will become even more pronounced. Kermit is the best wizard in the game (Teclis is arguably the most potent but cant match the sheer number of spells a turn the Slann can) and can dominate a magic phase

Equipping your slann

So lets look at some set-ups for him. The one image most commonly linked with the Slann is one in a temple guard unit. This provides him with a nice 2+ LOS save vs. templates as well as a solid combat unit that can charge an enemy and stil let Toad of Toad Hall do his thing.

This config was used in my first battle, with Warts an' all sitting in his temple guard unit:

Focus of Mastery, Focussed Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Soul of Stone, Cupped Hands, BSB with Sun Standard of Chotec

Quite a whopper of a guy. Against a magic-heavy High Elf army and equipped with Lore of Light, he managed to miscast his first spell (and attack the LVL4 Enemy Mage ala Cupped hands) and spent the rest of the game casting Phas illumination over...and over....and over again. The buffs from the lore of light allowed me to grind my way through even the elite Elven units nicely

But the issue i had was that he wasnt very flexible, he was stuck in the middle of the temple guard and couldnt get about very quickly at all.

So i decided next battle (again vs. high elves) to go for a flying frog of doom. set-up this time was

Focus of Mastery, Focussed Rumination, Becalming Cogitation, Higher State of Consciousness, Cupped hands, BSB, Arabian Carpet

ZOOM-ZOOM-froggy sat behind my solid line of saurus and i went for Lore of Life. By jove the Lore of Life goes with a Slann like cock and balls! the ridiculously low casting values for the spells meant i was able to chuck out 2-3 spells with a poor dice pool and almost the whole lore with a good pool. Dwellers below ate his mage (plus half the unit he was in) and throne of vines boosted everything brilliantly, one casting of awakening of the wood took a lion chariot apart and flesh to stone saurus held a prince on a moon dragon up for the entire game!

The arabian carpet let me position him where i needed the spells/Leadership/BSB the most, and Higher State meant the RBT had nothing to do but sprinkle my saurus with a light shower of arrows (casualties promptly regrown)

My big worry with this set-up is coming up against skaven or dwarves, with a high number of magical war machines. To combat this i think it may be best to ditch cupped hands (throne of vines does the job for me) and take the divine plaque of protection. 2+ ward save against all ranged attacks means it will take a pit of shades or purple sun to take me down

Just a quick note about Becalming Cogitation. There has been a lot of debate about just how useful this is, given that it means your enemy wont miscast. I say "so what?" to these people!! It stops your enemy getting an IF on a spell you REALLY dont want to go off (Purple sun, Pit of Shades, Final Transmutation etc.) and also means your opponent has to throw a stack of dice at any high-to-cast spell just to make sure it goes off. This means less spells coming at you, letting you use your dispel dice more effectively. Plus it really increases the chance of a lose of concentration, which could neuter your opponents mage. literally

all for 25pts?? HELL YEH

The other issue i have is the "Last Stand" rule. i was really hoping this would be FAQ'd for the lizzies but no luck. Now if broken in combat (very likely if he is caught by any sort of ranked unit) Kermie will be removed instantly! This worries me. I may give the BSB to a scar vet and c how tht goes, u really cant afford to lose your slann

so there you have it, my two starter builds for your slann. i intend to work my way through the army book and give my thoughts on each section and the best builds i have found so far, so stay tuned.

Oh and just to finish this section off: Oldbloods. em.....why bother? take the slann if you have the points. Scar Vets are choppy enough
IF however you really want to run an oldblood (because it is your army after all and you should never take what i say as gospel- i merely want to give advice based on my experiences) then there is no reason not to take the Blade of Realities. This is the most badass motherf***in asskicking ball-crunching cockslapping weapon in the game. Whats that? your big bad general is going to kill me?

is that it?

my guy will DESTROY YOUR VERY SOUL

you might not think it looks like much, but remember your oldblood will likely get at least 4 hits. then all the enemy has to do is fail one out of 4 LD tests (actually very easy to do, even on LD9 or 10) and BAM the model is gone, not even killed but blasted from existence!! this is the only weapon your oldblood needs, just try and use the remaining points for a nice ward save or armour save and smile as that super-expensive enemy model is destroyed. The psychological effect alone this has on your opponent is worth the points.

A little bit annoyed to come back to HO and find I've lost close to 200 rep.....
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Heroes

Firstly, lets get the special characters out of the way. Chakax, tiktaq'to and oxyotl are all hideously overcosted for their respective abilities, so avoid them at all cost.

WIth the new changes to Comet, Tetto'eko is worth a look in as an insta-comet without having to use a power scroll, but really i feel he takes dice away from the Slann who is the important caster in the list. i personally wont use him but i wudnt put him in the "HELL NO" tray just yet

Gor-rock intrigues me, much in the way the old character lotl-botl did (anyone else remember him? now that was a character!!) for 215pts you get a scar vet with 4+ scaly skin, re-rolls to hit (in forst combat round) and both re-rolls for wounds suffered and immunity to killing blow. then throw into the mix that he always counts as defending an obstacle, which i rule as a -1 to hit, and you have one bad-ass scaly bastard. but probably his best ability is his Stubborn rule- chuck him in a big saurus unit and BAM mini-temple guard awesomeness. try him out and see wat u think

So with these out of the way lets get into the customisable heroes. First up we have the scar-vet. These guys are more than capable of taking on almost any hero-level character in the game (maybe watch out for the gorebulls...) and properly equipped can even give a lord-level a run for their money. not i did not say "beat" a lord level, well maybe an elf lord....

Scar-vets are there for laying the hurt, nothing more. no subtlety, no tactics, just pure stone mace-to-face bad-assery (its a word!!). First things first is deciding what role he is to play. is he a character hunter, a unit buffer or a rank-and-file murdering machine? each has a different set up needed.

For a character hunter you need him prepped for challenges. The biggest hurdle is the low initiative, as most characters will be higher than him. For me, the Sword of the Hornet is a must for him, along with a potion of toughness. Throw in the Enchanted shield and light armour and you can hold your own. 4 S5 attacks always striking first, and then the enemy has do get past a T8 2+ save. EVen if you dont own him first round, you should stil be standing ready for next round. Oh and a wee tip, if your Slann has lore of life cast Flesh to stone on the unit to get T10 Scar Vet

The rank and file guy has no qualms about striking first. I would go with a great weapon, venom of the firefly frog, shield and light armour. Items like Carnosaur pendant and Dragonhelm are optional and can work well with this set-up

The buff guy is simply there to add weight of attacks and support his unit. DO NOT LET HIM GET CHALLENGED- he is not set up to deal death as well as his brother-roles, sacrifice a champ if you must. the item he wants is crown of command, to give you a nice solid stubborn unit of saurus.

Just think of a block of- Saurus led by Gor-rok, Temple Guard with Slann, Scar vet w/ crown in saurus- all holding your central line. 3 stubborn units that can take a hell of a beating

The last point is about a scar-vet BSB. in my Slann tactica i highlighted the danger of the "Last Stand" rule and intend to playtest the Scar Vet BSB. I have never used one before but at first glance im going to say ignore a magical banner, and go for shield and Armour of Destiny. 3+ armour save with a 4+ ward save should keep him alive and kicking to give you those all-important re-rolls. SOme of you are maybe thinking "Cold blooded is all i need, i dont need re-rolls!!" Trust me, they are incredibly useful for those times the dice go against you

The Skink Priest is up next. These guys are not, i repeat NOT about casting. they are there for channeling, extra arcane items and a back-up incase your slann loses concentration. In saying that, however, if you find yourself up against a lot of war machines aiming at your slann, take the signature spell and hex those bitches, anything to keep your slann alive is worth it

Best picks for items are dispel scroll (for getting rid of Pit of Shades primarily), diadem of power (in case you have some power dice kicking about) or go with a suicide priest and take the forbidden rod, for those phases where you NEED your magic to go off. expensive way to possibly only get 1 extra dice, but if that phase could win you the battle then do it! its all part of the Old Ones' plan...

The other option of course the Engine of the Gods. THis was essential in 7th but many players have turned away from it because the Ancient Steg cant break units anymore. My question is- WHY THE HELL IS IT BREAKING UNITS IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!???

This bad boy will give you a good solid save against shooting and war machines turn 1/2, and after that can fry units (even those in combat) or help your slann get those spells off easier. If needs be thunderstomp some skirmishers or fast calvary or something, but for the love of Sotek keep it out of combat!! why? because any opponent worth his salt will direct every attack at the priest. That 2+ save can only save him so long, and after he pops his flippers you have lost the engines ability. The EotG had a place in my 7th list but has dropped out of 8th, but only for the time being. If you can spare 400pts, take it. But dont skimp on the SLann or the core units to accomodate one

Skink Chiefs are the last entry to go. These guys are purely there for cheap combat support or mage/warmachine hunting. The cheap combat support guy gets a magic weapon such as Burning Blade of Chotec, something to buff the unit a bit like shield of mirrored pool and then sits in a saurus unit. yes, he has to go "outside" the unit but he stil claims his Look out Sir roll and is a dirt cheap source of extra attacks.

Anyone see what im saying here?

No??

Waste of points. For the cost of him you can get a scar vet with pure mundane weaponry who will do so much more damage.

And if anyone mentions skink cohorts i will stab them. with a snake-tongue-shaped dagger. but more on that when i get to the core

The mage-hunter, however, is a viable option. Stick him on a terradon, give him sword of striking or (my personal fav) the spellthieving sword and watch as your opponent bunkers those mages in units. which just means they get hit by your slanns magic (Dwellers Beneath anyone??). And if they dont, swoop on in and wipe the floor with them. The same thing works against war machine crew, and small units of skirmishers. Just dont expect him to last the battle, he WILL get targetted. A magic resistance talisman might not be a bad thing for him to have

Finally- never give the BSB to a skink. Never. We arent elves, we actually have survivable characters to carry our totems around

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Core

So we have covered our characters, now we have to look at the core choices available to us. Unlike in 40k, core choices arent necessarily the game-winning units that you MUST have to win the game, but they perform the role of providing numbers and expendibility to the army.

The lizardmen have the 2nd best core choice in the game in the saurus warrior (Warriors of Chaos are the best stats-wise, but the army sucks ass) and you will want plenty of these guys.

Some points to consider when forming your saurus units:

1) ignore horde. Horde is a gimmick to sell more models, it has very little value in a game. You tried wheeling 10 models whilst staying 1" away from all the other models? This unit moves like a morbidly obese woman in a toilet cubicle. 6-wide is ideal, so try and get your units in multiples of 6

2) a lot of lizardmen players cried and gnashed teeth at supporting attacks nerfing the spearman saurus (whine-seer was one of the worst). I missed a lot of 7th and stil remember the days of 6th edition, where saurus with spears only ever got one attack from the second rank. Now with spears they get to attack in 3 ranks! so quit with the whinging.

3) related to that, to spear or not to spear is entirely down to your personal preference, there is no right or wrong. spears give you and extra 6 attacks a turn, whereas hw+s is a cheaper unit plus has a little bit extra survivability

4) standard and musician should ALWAYS be taken, but you all knew that already if not, get back to 40k and go pew-pew some guys to death

5) the only unit i ever run a champion in is one with a supporting scar-vet (see my heroes tactica for this loadout) to accept the challenges that fly about. otherwise, i find him to be a waste of points

6) best unit size? personally i find 24, 6x4, works the best. large and sturdy enough to take damage, easy to move and wheel and still packs a punch in cc. others may have different opinions

a tips: if you are running SLann with Lore of Life (as i recommended) then make sure to give one unit Flesh to Stone and charge them straight at the enemies hardest, killiest unit. T8 saurus (you DID remember throne of vines, right?) will not be going anywhere fast. you dont need expensive elite infantry because....well...you dont have any this is the best you have!

in my 2250 list i run 3 units of 24, one with spears and 2 with hws (and a scar vet in each hw unit). one solid block of reptilian muscle

there isnt much more to say about saurus, they are just all-round good and should be taken in as large a number as possible

the other big ranked unit you can have is a skink cohort. i just know SOMEONE is going to try and argue that they have a place in the army, that they are a good flanking unit who serve as a kroxigor-delivery unit and that dey rulez ok?

2 words- TOUGHNESS TWO

ill repeat that. TOUGHNESS. FRICKIN. 2.

what idiot thought that a skink is less tough than a goblin? fuck me i have eaten steaks that are tougher than that.

That is why cohorts will always fail. even a small unit of skirmishers can kill enough skinks to mitigate the damage of the krox, and once you drop down to 6 skinks less your Kroxigor have toughness 2!!

dont get it? let me explain

when the unit is down to 6 skinks, these form the front rank and the 2 or 3 krox form the back rank. the enemy strikes at the skinks still, hitting their WS3 T2 () opponents. These wounds are then transfered to the BACK rank. Look at your rulebook, these are the rules people. once you hit 6 skinks (and you will!! 2 krox=16skinks, 3=24...) your krox are just 3 wound skinks.

now do you see why these are useless? yeh, thought so. leave them at home

Skink skirmishers, on the other hand, are an essential part of the army. gone are the days of endless re-directing and march blocking with them, those days of "moving half an inch to avoid a charge"-hammer are gone and WARhammer is here. They can stil do a nice flee reaction to pull an enemy out of position for a strike next turn, but their main job is taking out chariots, monsters and lone characters. remember that they can march and shoot now, which will give a unit 10 poisoned shots at 24" or 20 poisoned shots at 18". thats a lot of hurt from a 70 point unit. i have managed to wipe out 3 chariots with them in 2 games, and monsters will learn to fear them.i stil prefer blowpipes over javelins just for the extra flexibility of the 1 or 2 shot. They really are the best way of dealing with monsters that we have, short of magic of course

if only the Old ones, in their might and wisdom, had shown their servants how to make a bloody cannon (rolls eyes in disgust.....)

Finally we have Jungle Swarms

I know, im a joker! 45 points for the equivalent of 5 skinks on one base? Think it through, son

SO there you have it, the core choices for us are nothing exciting (as there is only really two....) but have a lovely balance of brute power matched against speed and ranged threat.

something that WoC wished they could say.....

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Special
First up we have chameleon skinks. these guys were pretty much useless in 7th, as their only advantage over regular skinks was the scout ability. and u know what? T2 scouts= dead scouts

yeh, thats right. these guys that cost as much as a saurus? stil WS2 T2 no save. Dear. Lord.

but in 8th they have their uses thanks to the change in the scouts rule. now we can set our 5 camo guys up 12" away from the enemy, and pop all we got at an enemy war machine. BS4 means even at long range we can multi-shot and move and still claim poison shots against them. next turn, dont expect them to stil be ther, as the enemy WILL take vengeance. but so what? your 60pt unit wiped out a 100pt+ war machine and saved your Slann from one threat. if it helps, model them with kamikaze style headbands

i dont see why you shouldnt set 60 or 120pts aside for a unit or two. they are always handy to have. remember, defending your slann is priority no. 1 for your lizzies

next up is our other disruption unit, terradons. unlike the chameleons, these guys were a must-have in 7th, as they were cheap, effective and relatively potent flying units. in 8th their role has not changed much, and i have found them to be extremely useful for their points. the strider (forest) rule is far more potent in this edition with the increase in the amount of terrain on the board. plus their drop rocks ability is still a brilliant anti-skirmisher/warmachine mechanism that is very easy to get off. and with 2 wounds and a stomp attack (thank you monster base) they can handle themselves in close combat against other light cav and skirmishers. a unit of 5 is only 150pts and is very effective

cold one calvary are our next option. With a 2+ save, plenty of S4 attacks (5 on the charge of course) and fear, these guys are damn good looking calvary. the negatives are a relatively slow pace (for cav) and stupidity. with the boost to LD provided by a BSB, if you keep them fairly central or as part of your main battleline they should avoid stupidity easily enough

the only problem is the supposed "nerf" that players are screaming about to cavalry in this edition. for too long players have relied on those big units of chosen chaos knights and the like to break the enemy and win the game for them in one charge. well its time to use them tactically from now on. cold one riders are hard as nails and so can reliably take on small units, skirmishers and other cavalry units. otherwise, they can only really do damage if supported by a good unit of infantry (read:saurus. cos we dont have any others!) time you all learned to use your units with a bit of synergy rather than letting a unit go all Rambo on the enemy.

i personally dont use them because i find 35 pts a model too steep for what they do. i would recommend not taking them, but it's your army

kroxigor look good on paper. M6, S6, 3W 4+ save ain't too shabby. but what you have to realise is that T4 4+ save is NOTHING in this game. that is a save for a saurus warrior, but he costs a fifth of the cost of a krox. so you can get 5 saurus for the cost of 1 krox. i know which one i would rather have. there are better models to spend your points on

Ah the temple guard, the "Elite" infantry of the army our elite have an extra point of WS, I and light armour....i can hear the champagne corks popping already these guys should NEVER be taken without a Slann in your army. without a Slann they are just overcosted, better equipped saurus.

With a SLann they are a practically unbreakable anchor unit you can stick right at the centre of the board and it will not move. I dont like them though. miscasts hurt like a sledgehammer to the testicles. they are only just above-average fighters, and against other elite infantry they will melt away. and due to the stepping up rule, once you are down to one rank of temple guard those wounds start going on the slann. read the rules, those wounds go on the rear rank- if the slann is on the rear rank, bingo!

although how this works against a Slann with Higher State is beyond me. maybe they go on the temple guard, maybe they are ignored. ill throw a thread up in the rules discussion and see what happens with that

overall, i feel the temple guard arent worth it. i know many of you will disagree with me, but im calling it as i see it.

finally we have mr steg. this guy was the whole reason i started collecting the lizzies in the first place and he has always had a place in my army. with 8th, the steg cant just run around breaking units by himself, as steadfast will always hold them together no matter how many he squishes. what he does bring to the table is the only long range warmachine we have (which is mobile AND poisoned so aint bad) and is far sturdier and harder to take down than any chariot. it also dishes out a ton of hurt on the charge. this guy has gone from front-and-centre rank buster to a flank charger who will give most flanking units the willies.

the only stumbling block is the cost. 235pts isnt over the top for what he does, but for 40 points more you can grab an ancient steg. higher strength alone is enough of a selling point for me, the scaly skin and the funky weaponry are just bonuses. but a regular steg is stil a worthwhile investment

well there you go, the special choices available. There is no unit that i would say you should NEVER take as they all have their strengths and place in the army, although IMO kroxigor are probably the weakest unit of them all.

I would always recommend either terradons or chameleons at the very least, if just to take out warmachines that could threaten the slann.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 05:33 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_m1ke View Post
Special
First up we have chameleon skinks. these guys were pretty much useless in 7th, as their only advantage over regular skinks was the scout ability. and u know what? T2 scouts= dead scouts

yeh, thats right. these guys that cost as much as a saurus? stil WS2 T2 no save. Dear. Lord.

but in 8th they have their uses thanks to the change in the scouts rule. now we can set our 5 camo guys up 12" away from the enemy, and pop all we got at an enemy war machine. BS4 means even at long range we can multi-shot and move and still claim poison shots against them. next turn, dont expect them to stil be ther, as the enemy WILL take vengeance. but so what? your 60pt unit wiped out a 100pt+ war machine and saved your Slann from one threat. if it helps, model them with kamikaze style headbands
Last time I checked they always did that, didn't they? Otherwise, agreed.

Quote:
next up is our other disruption unit, terradons. unlike the chameleons, these guys were a must-have in 7th, as they were cheap, effective and relatively potent flying units. in 8th their role has not changed much, and i have found them to be extremely useful for their points. the strider (forest) rule is far more potent in this edition with the increase in the amount of terrain on the board. plus their drop rocks ability is still a brilliant anti-skirmisher/warmachine mechanism that is very easy to get off. and with 2 wounds and a stomp attack (thank you monster base) they can handle themselves in close combat against other light cav and skirmishers. a unit of 5 is only 150pts and is very effective
Again, I agree for the most part- except that using Drop Rocks on a war machine is a bad idea. It's only a S4 attack- and war machines are T7. It's a waste- you're better off charging the war machine. However, Drop Rocks is excellent for taking out units of 10 archers/handgunners/empire detachments.

Quote:
cold one calvary are our next option. With a 2+ save, plenty of S4 attacks (5 on the charge of course) and fear, these guys are damn good looking calvary. the negatives are a relatively slow pace (for cav) and stupidity. with the boost to LD provided by a BSB, if you keep them fairly central or as part of your main battleline they should avoid stupidity easily enough

the only problem is the supposed "nerf" that players are screaming about to cavalry in this edition. for too long players have relied on those big units of chosen chaos knights and the like to break the enemy and win the game for them in one charge. well its time to use them tactically from now on. cold one riders are hard as nails and so can reliably take on small units, skirmishers and other cavalry units. otherwise, they can only really do damage if supported by a good unit of infantry (read:saurus. cos we dont have any others!) time you all learned to use your units with a bit of synergy rather than letting a unit go all Rambo on the enemy.

i personally dont use them because i find 35 pts a model too steep for what they do. i would recommend not taking them, but it's your army
Here is where I totally disagree with you. These guys are just crap. Look at Elven cavalry for a comparison- not even thinking about the super scary chaos knights. Dragon Princes cost 5pts less, have ASF, a 1+ save, S6 on the charge, are faster, and are immune to fire and breath, and aren't stupid. The only negative is that they have one less toughness- which is more than mitigated by superior armour. with all the armour piercing, S4+ attacks going around, these guys will rarely survive. One unit that has only one reason to be taken- you bought the battalion and don't have the models for anything else.

Quote:
kroxigor look good on paper. M6, S6, 3W 4+ save ain't too shabby. but what you have to realise is that T4 4+ save is NOTHING in this game. that is a save for a saurus warrior, but he costs a fifth of the cost of a krox. so you can get 5 saurus for the cost of 1 krox. i know which one i would rather have. there are better models to spend your points on
Again, agreed, until we start talking about mixed units. These guys are the shiz in a mixed unit with Skink Cohorts.

Quote:
Ah the temple guard, the "Elite" infantry of the army our elite have an extra point of WS, I and light armour....i can hear the champagne corks popping already these guys should NEVER be taken without a Slann in your army. without a Slann they are just overcosted, better equipped saurus.

With a SLann they are a practically unbreakable anchor unit you can stick right at the centre of the board and it will not move. I dont like them though. miscasts hurt like a sledgehammer to the testicles. they are only just above-average fighters, and against other elite infantry they will melt away. and due to the stepping up rule, once you are down to one rank of temple guard those wounds start going on the slann. read the rules, those wounds go on the rear rank- if the slann is on the rear rank, bingo!

although how this works against a Slann with Higher State is beyond me. maybe they go on the temple guard, maybe they are ignored. ill throw a thread up in the rules discussion and see what happens with that

overall, i feel the temple guard arent worth it. i know many of you will disagree with me, but im calling it as i see it.
A valid point. Temple guard by themselves are good, but certainly nothing to do cartwheels over. However, any decent Lizardmen army of 1250pts+ will certainly have a Slann, so the Temple Guard are an extremely good buy. On miscasts- that shouldn't happen more than once. Take cupped hands, and you'll avoid the first one. If you take Lore of Life, there shouldn't be any miscasts. Maybe one. If running Light, well then, you'll probably want to be more conservative with your rolling after cupped hands is gone anyway.

Quote:
finally we have mr steg. this guy was the whole reason i started collecting the lizzies in the first place and he has always had a place in my army. with 8th, the steg cant just run around breaking units by himself, as steadfast will always hold them together no matter how many he squishes. what he does bring to the table is the only long range warmachine we have (which is mobile AND poisoned so aint bad) and is far sturdier and harder to take down than any chariot. it also dishes out a ton of hurt on the charge. this guy has gone from front-and-centre rank buster to a flank charger who will give most flanking units the willies.

the only stumbling block is the cost. 235pts isnt over the top for what he does, but for 40 points more you can grab an ancient steg. higher strength alone is enough of a selling point for me, the scaly skin and the funky weaponry are just bonuses. but a regular steg is stil a worthwhile investment
One word- Cannons. That 90pt cannon will annihilate your steg in one shot. and most people will take multiple cannons, so they need to be dealt with ASAP- and frankly Chameleons aren't a guaranteed fixed by any means without maxing out the unit size- and even then you're relying on averages. Meaning that you need to utilise target saturation if using stegs. I'd be thinking of two of them minimum, probably with an EOTG as well.

Quote:
well there you go, the special choices available. There is no unit that i would say you should NEVER take as they all have their strengths and place in the army, although IMO kroxigor are probably the weakest unit of them all.
At least Kroxigor are useful in Cohort units. Cold One Cavalry are just crap at all times. Regardless, a good tactica, have some rep.

Just realised I managed to miss everything except your stuff on specials- a few things.

Cohorts with Kroxigor are Flanking units. They shouldn't get into the position where they'll be wiped out by the step-up rule. Still, that's a good point you bring up, and probably warrants a letter/email/messenger pigeon to GW.

Slann with BSB is a bad idea, like you said.

I would like to know which idiot claimed supporting attacks nerfed spear saurus. The extra rank of attacks shits all over the silly little parry save (that doesn't work against everything).

Otherwise, good job.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm

Last edited by coke123; 01-28-11 at 06:09 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-11, 09:05 PM

CoNnZ's Flag is: England

Quote:
Core
The lizardmen have the 2nd best core choice in the game in the saurus warrior (Warriors of Chaos are the best stats-wise, but the army sucks ass) and you will want plenty of these guys.
I could not disagree with you more about the statement over WoC sucking. Go to a tournament and then say that. As it stands they are one of the most powerful if played right
Some points to consider when forming your saurus units:

1) ignore horde. Horde is a gimmick to sell more models, it has very little value in a game. You tried wheeling 10 models whilst staying 1" away from all the other models? This unit moves like a morbidly obese woman in a toilet cubicle. 6-wide is ideal, so try and get your units in multiples of 6
Horde is fine with pretty mcuh good with all armies mate. The only reason lizards don't do it is because of how pricey it would be.
Quote:
Here is where I totally disagree with you. These guys are just crap. Look at Elven cavalry for a comparison- not even thinking about the super scary chaos knights. Dragon Princes cost 5pts less, have ASF, a 1+ save, S6 on the charge, are faster, and are immune to fire and breath, and aren't stupid. The only negative is that they have one less toughness- which is more than mitigated by superior armour. with all the armour piercing, S4+ attacks going around, these guys will rarely survive. One unit that has only one reason to be taken- you bought the battalion and don't have the models for anything else.
Wrong in many ways. For one Dragon princes have 2+ not 1+. Also they are S5 on the charge not S6. Both hit at S5 in the first round. The CoC hit harder in the first round due to the cold one profile but also the saurus have 2A. Most units will hold due to ranks. After that it goes downhill for the DP who will hit with a measly S3 while the CoC will hit S4. There is also fear from CO's.The high toughness really wins out for the CoC who will not only stay in the fight longer but will certainly kill more (especially vs horde armies like skaven)

Quote:
At least Kroxigor are useful in Cohort units
Wrong again. These may well be the worst unit in the book. The big issue is that you are lobbing T2 5+ save skinks. Your pretty much giving your opponent combat res on a silver platter. They will consistantly lose until broken

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNnZ View Post
Wrong in many ways. For one Dragon princes have 2+ not 1+. Also they are S5 on the charge not S6. Both hit at S5 in the first round. The CoC hit harder in the first round due to the cold one profile but also the saurus have 2A. Most units will hold due to ranks. After that it goes downhill for the DP who will hit with a measly S3 while the CoC will hit S4. There is also fear from CO's.The high toughness really wins out for the CoC who will not only stay in the fight longer but will certainly kill more (especially vs horde armies like skaven)
*checks High Elf book* Shit, that guy I played the other day cheated. Regardless, Saurus Cavalry is overpriced and terrible. Fear means very little in this edition, and this is balanced out by stupidity. Dragon Princes also have two attacks, so I have no idea why you brought up the number of attacks. COC have astonishingly shit WS, so whilst they may hit slightly harder, they are far more liable to just miss. Who cares if you're S4 if the blow is dodged? So DP aren't stupid, are slightly less tough, but have are ASF with ridiculous initiative and high WS. and they cost less. DP are SO much better.

Quote:
Wrong again. These may well be the worst unit in the book. The big issue is that you are lobbing T2 5+ save skinks. Your pretty much giving your opponent combat res on a silver platter. They will consistantly lose until broken
Then you're using them wrong. Using them in a flank attack means the enemy only has 3-5 models striking them, assuming he doesn't send more attacks toward the threat of Saurus at the front. So at worst 10 attacks, equating to what, 5-7 wounds. The Kroxigor swing with 9 attacks, S6, so around 5 wounds. Skinks pick up another wound or so, and then you've got the matter of the saurus attacking to the front. You can't analyse something in a vacuum, and then call it bad. One on one, kroxiskinks will probably lose. So don't let them fight one on one.

Oh, for the record, not that it helps my point, but skinks don't have a 5+ save. It's 6+/6++ in combat.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Last edited by coke123; 01-29-11 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 08:41 AM

CoNnZ's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by coke123 View Post
Then you're using them wrong. Using them in a flank attack means the enemy only has 3-5 models striking them, assuming he doesn't send more attacks toward the threat of Saurus at the front. So at worst 10 attacks, equating to what, 5-7 wounds. The Kroxigor swing with 9 attacks, S6, so around 5 wounds. Skinks pick up another wound or so, and then you've got the matter of the saurus attacking to the front. You can't analyse something in a vacuum, and then call it bad. One on one, kroxiskinks will probably lose. So don't let them fight one on one.
I dont really see this as a viable flank unit. The unit you just gave me (3 krox, this means a minimum of 24 skinks) weighs in ad close to 300pts. This comes across as a huge point sink. They are going to be a pretty big block, meaning mavouverability will be small, limiting their flanking potential. A 300pts unit that needs a flank to be effective isnt really worthwhile. I feel you kinda shot yourself in the foot with the statistics on wounding. You have just admitted that the unit will potential lose a quater to a third of its unit simply by charging a flank, thats gunna give the opponent a massive combat res which may well help the opponent hold

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-11, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I dont really see this as a viable flank unit. The unit you just gave me (3 krox, this means a minimum of 24 skinks) weighs in ad close to 300pts. This comes across as a huge point sink. They are going to be a pretty big block, meaning mavouverability will be small, limiting their flanking potential. A 300pts unit that needs a flank to be effective isnt really worthwhile. I feel you kinda shot yourself in the foot with the statistics on wounding. You have just admitted that the unit will potential lose a quater to a third of its unit simply by charging a flank, thats gunna give the opponent a massive combat res which may well help the opponent hold
So my 300pt flanking unit of skinks isn't worthwhile, but your 400pt flanking COC unit is? The fact is that it's quick, and for a reasonable amount of points can dish out quite a few high strength attacks, and can reliably disrupt ranks. Not to mention skinks can shoot pretty well once they're in range, and have poison shots to be able to attack enemy war machines, and monsters. Not to mention they're also capable of holding flanks, as well as attacking them.

Yes, the unit will potentially lose a quarter to a third of the unit. But so will the enemy. and I'm willing to bet that losing 5-7 skinks hurts a lot less than losing around 5 of pretty much any model that has two attacks, which is what I assumed. And I'm assuming that the unit is five deep, which whilst feasible, isn't that unlikely. So that's a worst case scenario. Flanking pretty anything made of single attack models generally results in roughly half a dead skink for every rank, so a five deep spear horde kills 2-3 skinks, and then the skinks+kroxigor strike back. And that assumes the enemy unit is completely untouched by shooting/magic, which it shouldn't be.

So since the kills will roughly even out, the fact that you disrupt ranks means that the unit fighting in the front arc of the enemy doesn't have to worry about the enemy's rank bonus. and gets +1 res for the flank charge. and an additional 1+ for actually having charged in. Then include the actual attacks of the unit to the front, and you've got a much more solid victory to the Lizardmen, considering that the enemy's attacks on the saurus are largely ineffective, as they usually are, especially when using the lore of life.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode