Versus...Teclis - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 101 (permalink) Old 04-12-11, 10:19 PM
itsonlyme's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tim/Steve just tell people your are practicing for a tournament and ask them to build a list with the comp (search online for a random tournament say 6 months away). When it comes round just say "decided not to go", by which point your friends are so used to not using special characters they won't be so bothered about them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-10-11, 12:57 AM

MarquisDeSade's Flag is: England

I've found the combination of 3 Trebuchets to whittle down the unit followed by a charge from KotR with Lord tends to do the trick. Because of Lance formation, there aren't too many attacks hitting first and the Bret Lord will be in a challenge with Teclis (Gauntlet of the Duel - Challenge MUST be accepted). 4 S6 attacks at WS10 re-rolling misses and wounds plus one from the trusty nag tends to see minor characters die a rather grisely death lol.

For Russ! For the Allfather! For the Wolftime!
post #83 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-10-11, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquisDeSade View Post
I've found the combination of 3 Trebuchets to whittle down the unit followed by a charge from KotR with Lord tends to do the trick. Because of Lance formation, there aren't too many attacks hitting first and the Bret Lord will be in a challenge with Teclis (Gauntlet of the Duel - Challenge MUST be accepted). 4 S6 attacks at WS10 re-rolling misses and wounds plus one from the trusty nag tends to see minor characters die a rather grisely death lol.
Teclis is normally guarded by Caradryan. And camped in a big unit.

Besides, the whole point of why Teclis is hard to kill is because he sends out more successful spells than an Oxbridge spelling comp.
Anyone who's anyone won't let your Gauntlet of the Duel near him without either spell blasting you, or have Teclis exit out of the back of the unit.

At which point, Caradryan accepts/issues a challenge and slays your Lord.

post #84 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 02:53 AM
SonsOfVulkan's Flag is: USA

Daemons vs. Teclis... assassinate Teclis with a fiend? FAQ states that Teclis can't be put in the second rank.
post #85 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 03:01 PM

Tatsumaki's Flag is: Saint Lucia

It's true that Teclis/Book of Hoeth tends to make frustrations run high among his enemies, especially given the big new boost to the power of magic in new rules. Thankfully, I spend a lot of my time fighting an opponant who uses Teclis, along with the Star Dragon lord and the 30 man unit of White Lions, and I don't lose all of the time.

It's fair to say that everyone hates him with good reason. My solution is to use units that have ASF. Teclis and his unit are likely to be strong, but if both sides ASF then Teclis, his assailant and his bodyguard will strike at the same time. Vampire assasins with the swift striking sword are good, actual Dark Elf assassins are even better. Teclis may have a lot of wounds, but unfortunately for him he just doesnt have enough to outlast most enemies for any length of time.

Alternatively, I crush his unit. This is easy for me to say, of course, given that Lizards have very strong core choices but Warriors of Chaos, Orcs, Beastmen and so on are all more than a match for spearmen. Things that do mass damage to the enemy like Curse of Years or Soul Stealer will also decimate elite units. If he's in a very strong elite unit like White Lions then... Well let's just say assassination is probably the best choice.

Also, I know that in theory I could take lore of life with my slaan and just throw 7 dice int Dwellers below and hopefully survive the miscast, but I don't like this solution. Firstly, I feel like it's just sinking to his level and relying on over-powered new magic rules. Secondly, he could just give Teclis lore of life and do the same thing to me. And finally, it's just not fluff worthy. Slaan are ancient and wise beings that have led their race for centuries, they don't act rashly and risk their own souls over some pesky warmblood.

The point is when I come across an enemy who uses white lion hordes, or irresistable miscasting Heralds of Tzeench or indeed over-strong characters like Teclis, I don't respond by using similarly short-cutting tactics. I want to be able to crush these tricks without having to plan my list out for them beforehand; I feel it's more classy that way.

Having said all of this, if you are a High Elf player and don't see anything wrong with it, that's fine too. I recommend, if you intend to field Teclis, you need to keep him off the front line at all costs. He should be in a small bunker unit behind that big phalanx of spearmen, maybe in a unit of Pheonix Guard. Also, Teclis is at his best when he is buffing his army or de-buffing the enemy. Consider giving him Lore of Shadow, for example. That way he can also escape if things are going very bad.

Finally, don't give in to the temptation to put him in an over-strong unit. Because your enemy will just devote their time to killing that unit. I once saw a match in which Teclis had a unit of 50 spearmen, Caradryel in the unit. He just hit the unit with -D3 Toughness and then attacked them with Salamanders and Chamo Skinks, and ended up killing every single one of them... And then Teclis too! Essentially, Teclis is a deadly and powerful character, but he's not going to win the game for you on his own! Even he's not that good.

So there is my advice both for killing and protecting Teclis.

"Don't call me small! I'll breakdown your feet and stick 'em on your head!!." Full metal alchemist
post #86 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 04:58 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonsOfVulkan View Post
Daemons vs. Teclis... assassinate Teclis with a fiend? FAQ states that Teclis can't be put in the second rank.
That's true... but then the HE player does have Caradryan (likely), Teclis and a whole unit of ASF HE to smack your fiend with before you even get to attack... so you'll almost certainly be dead before you can kill old Teclis. Even if you don't die you'll have 4A hitting on 4+ and needing 3 wounds to kill Teclis (who if he is a life mage will easily heal 2W a turn).

ASF makes suicide assassinations really difficult... you have to be strong enough to survive the enemy's attacks and still be able to do enough wounds to kill him. Units with ASF can do it... but cheap ASF units are pretty rare.

post #87 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 08:56 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I will try that Tim/Steve

Am I right though in suggesting that although Teclis is immune to magic spells with the Banner of the World Dragon he is not immune to magical attacks (I.E. those such as from Skaven Warpstone Weapons, Magic Items etc)?

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #88 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-28-11, 09:31 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Magic attacks are not spells/magic... they are unaffected by MR, banner of the world dragon and all other anti-magic protections.

post #89 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-29-11, 01:14 AM
SonsOfVulkan's Flag is: USA

Wait so if I line a single fiend of slaanesh and charge into base contact with Teclis, that single fiend will get rape by the rest of Teclis's unit?
post #90 of 101 (permalink) Old 10-29-11, 03:14 AM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonsOfVulkan View Post
Wait so if I line a single fiend of slaanesh and charge into base contact with Teclis, that single fiend will get rape by the rest of Teclis's unit?
whoever the fiend is in base contact with will hit. And supporting attacks, with asf and str 4 (taking into account that PG are the usual bunker unit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode