New to Fantasy, hoping to do Dwarfs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Default New to Fantasy, hoping to do Dwarfs

Well, a few friends and I have decided to start up Warhammer Fantasy armies to change it up from playing 40k all the time. Now, as short and bearded as I am, there is no decision to be made when it comes to what army I would like to start: th' Dwarfs. I've looked at the model range and have been asking around about the tactics they use, and now it's time to bring it to Heresy.

My questions are this: What are the dwarves' strengths, what are their weaknesses, and what can they do that ranks high on the badassery charts?

edit: I need an admin to move this, I forgot I was in the armylist section. Sorted - squeek

Last edited by squeek; 06-23-09 at 09:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 10:02 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

Well firstly welcome to the throng! Now as far as dwarfs go some of the strengths as I see them are: Great war machines, Great leadership, Good armour (on average), The customization abilities of their runic items/warmachines/banners so you can have a item for any situation. Their incredible ability to shut down any magic( Granted, they have none of their own).

Now as far as army build go, your either the gunline, balanced, or combat.
A dwarf gunline is a very tough nut to crack, but its also a one trick pony. Also if you play a gunline regularly your gaming buds may not like you very much! Dwarfs can do a balanced army quite well, with a good mix of reasonably tough ranged units, strong artillery and rock hard infantry blocks.

The one complaint I have with dwarfs is the fact that every Elite dwarf unit comes in a metal box of 5, which makes it more than a little difficult to amass a good amount of them. So whatever kind of army you like is up to you! Best of luck and welcome to Warhammer fantasy battle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 10:22 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dwarves are controlled by 1 fact- they are SLOW. They move slower then every other army and will find it very hard to run away from or chace down enemies from combat.

This means a couple of things- first your unlikely to charge so will need to rely on static combat resolution (banners, ranks, not being flank charged) and second winning combat is less effective at killing enemies and losing is more damaging to you.

The very obvious solution to short legs is long arms.. or guns in the case of dawrves. Your basic 3 tactics as far as I can work out are:
1- advance in a solid line of bad-assery that cannot be flanked by fast moving enemies and will crush anything that charges it (lord knows you wont charge) or at least holds for long enough to get other dwarf units to counter-charge into the enemy's flank.
2- You stay still with a rock solid army that cannot be shifted. Your few guns and artillery peck at the enemy and then you crush them when they charge you.
3- You go for a gun line and mush the enemy into a pulp before they get to you.

I've mostly seen a mix of 2&3, but then I only know 1 dwarf player so the tactics arent that surprising... but to put their movement in perspective- my ogres have a charge range of 12", even if I fail to charge and move half distance then your dwarves arent going to be in charge range... this means I can declare a charge even if I think im out of range because there really is no downside. Elves and men are slower but still pretty much fast enough to be able to control the movement phase when they fight dwarves.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 10:34 PM

Trigger's Flag is: England

If you intend to do a monster close combat Dwarf army that actually moves occasionally, the dwarves have several tricks up their sleeve to get themselves moving or slow down the enemy charge, plus a unit for burrowing under your opponent, so its just a case of fine tuning your army. Its also pretty easy to make a Dwarf unit that aint going to retreat anytime soon, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Of course, you could always get an army thats quick to start with!

I wouldn't even consider whats metal or plastic by way of miniatures. As long as they have a beard, some armour and a massive axe or hammer dwarves can represent whatever the hell you like!

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Doing Dwarfs will be a big change from the Khorne army I have for 40k. I think what I will do is go for a balanced list of having tough ranks of dwarfs with ranged units behind them. The question now becomes one of what to take, because there are a lot of options, and I'm unsure on what each of them do, like the Dwarfs having gun men and crossbow units.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 11:05 PM

Trigger's Flag is: England

Thunderers have more punch, Quarrellers have better range (and the option for GW and the Scout USR for the same points cost as Thunderers) Wink wink, nudge nudge. Depends what role you want them for really.

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 11:07 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Be a little careful about planning your army- having a line of men and another of guns behind sounds good but in WFB you cant shoot through your own men unless you or your target is on a hill (or a large target like a giant).
Hills are very important for gun line armies but almost more so for mixed combat/shooty armies... it makes advancing all the harder.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-09, 11:17 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

well gun men a.k.a thunderers are probably the favorite choice for dwarf ranged units with their -2 to armour saves. But the crossbowmen have a higher range, so are better to get that extra turn of shooting in. As for combat units dwarf warriors are of course a must. Dwarf longbeards (a variant of warriors) are a great tough unit with panic suppressing abilities. For special choices it just depends whether you want war machines, or tough infantry, hammerers are good at sticking around and dishing out the hurt with str 6 attacks, but are also relatively easy to kill do to only a 5+ armour save. Ironbreakers on the other hand are very good at hanging around with a great armor save, but they are not as good as hurting things as the hammerers. As For warmachines, its just a matter of preference, I prefer organ guns and cannons, but I know a lot of Swear by Bolt Throwers. But ultimately what it comes down to, is what you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-09, 11:54 AM

karlhunt's Flag is: USA

War Machines:
Cannon - good range, devistating if it hits right, slim chance it will explode on you
Organ Gun - mediocre range, can kill up to ten models at a time, auto hits, slight chance it will explode, this is your skirmish killer
flame cannon - decent range, good against flamable targets, slight chance of explosion
bolt thrower - decent range, fairly accurate (if your Balistics is up to it) armor penetrating, this is your cavalry/WoC killer! Place them on your flanks to get as many flank shots on cav as you can. If I take them I always take three, one on each flank and one dead center.

Did I miss anything? Gyro copter's not really a war machine, it's more of a monster IMO.

As for the infamous "slow moving" don't forget that once you are within 8" of your opponent you will be the only one able to march. That will make you faster then him on the ground, though he will still have a better charge distance. As for ogres on the charge, who cares, they kill a couple dwarfs, you ignore the losses and procede to crush them with scr.

Finally on the ranged unit tactics.
I don't care which unit you take, thunderers or quarelers, it mostly depends on what your enemy has, either way you can't move and fire. If your opponent has anything to say about it he will not let you have a hill to fire from and that's ok. What you can / should do in that case is set your ranged units as your front line, aprox 3" in front of the rest of your troops. Keep long beards interspersed throughout your line. Let the enemy advance under a hail of fire and once they finally do charge you, well, stand and shoot if it seems worthwhile (a dwarf ranged unit is still the equal of many other armies infantry) or better yet flee, the 3" gap ensures that there is only a 1:12 chance of your unit getting cought and makes the enemy very likely to fail their charge. The long beards themselves are immune to the panic checks you just caused and provide the rest of your line with a good bonus to ignore them also. Finally, your dwarven leadership should be more than sufficient to rally the fleeing missile troops while your heavy infantry carves up the enemy with a charge of their own following the failed charge.
Down side to this tactic is that if the enemy is also a ranged fighter and you set up blind you will be very hard pressed to reform the line to make yourself usefull. Pray it never happens as nothing suffers against a dwarven guline quite as much as a dwarven infantry line.

More than anything else, have fun with it. I wish you the best of luck.

C'mon, Click my Daemon. You know you want to.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-09, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've been looking at the Dwarf Army Book (codex?), and I have a question on the Battle Standards. I don't have the brb for Fantasy yet, so it may just be in there. Now, it's obvious what the Runic Standards do, but what do the normal ones do?

As a side note, I want to take a Rune Lord with the Anvil of Doom, and I was wanting to know what a good layout for the Lord, and any special tactics for this cool-sounding unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode