Night goblins unit size? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

crimson skull's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Night goblins unit size?

I need some help i have just got three boxes of skull pass and a paint set to start a night gobbo army but i can't decide what unit size to do ? The choices are: no matter what three units of 20 archers then either:4 units of 30, 5 units of 25 or 6 units of 20?Oh all with fanatics of course.

Moved to tactics - squeek

Last edited by squeek; 12-08-08 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 06:40 PM
Must keep painting....

squeek's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, it depends on what you are using them for, but as a rule 20 NG are not going to last very long. I tend to run mine as either blocks of 30 fully loaded or blocks of 25 for lighter rolls.

Obviously it depends on what point bracket you are at as well since 30 with FC, Nets and fanatics is getting in to lots of points. So if you are looking at 1500 or below you could go as low as 20 but don't put too many points in to it as they are more likely to run away or be trounced in combat. At or above 2000 there is no reason to take less than 25 to my way of thinking, particularly for main combat units in a gobbo army.

Oh and this is more of a tactics question
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 06:47 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

3 Units of 20 should be broken down into 6 units of 10.

If one gets charged, then you can still fire 50, instead of 40, and get maybe an extra kill for all those.

For blocks of 30, you're going to have the extra ranks for longer than 25 - so stick with them.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 07:02 PM
Must keep painting....

I would disagree on Vaz's suggestion to break your 3x20 NG bows down to 6x10. Along with your other 4 big blocks and anything else that you add to your army you are unlikely to have enough room for 6x10 anyway. Also, your archers are virtually as effective in combat as regular gobbos so units of 20 are likely to be more versatile.

Having said that 80 NG bows is a hell of a lot of archers considering their meagre range and BS, but if that is what you have then I can understand you wanting to use them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for moving this thread i wasn't sure where to put it.The whole idea of this army is to have a laugh and see if i can kill more of my troops with fanatics than the enemy!Also the units of archers are staying as units of 20 as thats how they come and for their low range and ability in combat anything less would be suicide. the army is planned for 2000 to 3000 pts. I'm looking to add other bits this is just what i've got from the skull pass boxes. I'm thinking 5 units of 25 as that means more fanatics!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 08:43 PM
Must keep painting....

How many fanatics are you talking about?? with each unit of NG you can take 3 fanatics, so with 7 units (3x20 and 4x30) you would already have 21 fanatics, which would be absolute chaos believe me!

If you went up to 8 units you could take 24 fanatics which would deny the whole middle of the table to both armies for most of the battle if you aren't careful! Also, we are talking 5-600 points worth of throw away randomness here! Personally I think you would have to be a little mad to take that many, but mad in a good way possibly!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 08:47 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Take units of 10 if possible =) Then field 3 Fanatics. I'm sorry, I'm not too clued on Orks, but hving 20-30 Night Goblin units at 30 points a pop, + 90 Fanatics, hmmmm =).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey ex staff member and all round nut job i mean after all who is in their right mind in this hobby! Its just something i've always wanted to do just to see the look on my opponants face as i unleash hell for everyone. I think 8 units, thats 24 fanatics that should make a nice mess of the field. He he he!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 08:59 PM
Must keep painting....

Heh, well in that case make sure you let us know how it goes!

To back up this madness you could look at lots of pairs of spear chukkas, you might actually win if the middle of the table is full of whirling death and you are shooting over the top of it!

Last edited by squeek; 12-08-08 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-08, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes i have planned 4 spear chukkas and 2 rock lobbers in 2000 points with a squig unit in 3000 points. Oh yeah that brings me onto the name "The blue moon tribe" this works on two levels 1, all the moons will be painted blue, 2, thats about as often they will win! Once in a blue moon ! he he he he he he Sorry i couldn't resist.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode