Tactica The Refused Flank - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-08, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Ancient Tiel' a fier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Tactica The Refused Flank

Well its time to share another approach to fantasy, the "refused flank". Basically this involves placing one unit "the sacrifice" on one flank and the majority of you armys power on the other. The idea being to hit the enemy flank and force him to waste a lot of time trying to bring his units to bear while you are breaking through his lines. This can be very effective because when done right the main power of you army fights a small portion of the enemy breaking each unit in turn.

Here is a basic view of the deployment. The Sacrifice unit needs to hold for a few turns once the combat starts so either a couple of cheap units like goblins or solid units that wont break like fanatics, but dont forget this unit is called a sacrifice for a reason, it will DIE.
Next along firepower. All your shooting should be aimed towards the flank your main push is aiming for, look out for thining units down. Think about enemy rank bonuses and outnumbering, the more damage you do to there combat resolution the quicker they will break and the more devastating the attack will be. Watch out for the sacrifice breaking to quickly if they do your firepower will pay the price. Small unbreakable units deployed to stop the enemy charging the firepower base can be useful, but watch your points you need a lot for the main push.
The main push. This should consist of 2/3rds of your army. Heavy cavalry on the extreme flank ready to run down the enemy flank and solid infintary units (or more cavalry if you like - bretonians) to support from the front. Overwhelming power is the key here comabat resolution and the ability to kill are very important. Thing about banners or items that can improve your combat resolution.

Fast cavalry doesnt really come in as useful in this approach. Flyers can be useful as march blockers to slow the enemy response but again think about points.

I hope you enjoy this tactica and any questions? Feel free to ask.

Here are the links to some other tactical approaches:

The pierce and pincer https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=12354

The hammer and anvil https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=11855

The legion (roman tactics by Son of Horus) https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=11599
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-08, 06:53 AM

I myself love the anvil and hammer.. I'm a huge Alexander the great fan. Nice work.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-08, 08:15 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

Another great post by Ancient. I love reading about this kind of stuff. I get tired of just looking at army list after army list. The refused flank is excellent. Just a few thoughts. It seems like fast cavalry would be good as a sacrifice unit. For example. One or two units of pistolliers can march block and divert quite a few emeny units until the main push can break through. What do you guys think?

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-08, 09:17 PM

Snorri O'dubhda's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use this tactic quite a lot with both my dwarfs and skaven. I find the best sacrifice unit for dwarfs is slayers. their unbreakable ability means that when the enemy tries to swing around the flank the slayers can be a very nice orange haired road block thats not going anywhere.

For skaven I use swarms again for their unbreakable ability but I follow these up with a large unit of poison wind globes. the globes then shoot in to the combat the swarm is embroiled in killing enemy knights and infantry with impunity.
Just remember that although the sacrifice unit is put their to die it doesn't mean it cant bite back.

Really is a good tactic. Well done ancient.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-08, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

The only problem with fast cavalry as a sacrifice unit is lack of staying power, you really need the sacrifice to move upto mid field and stay there as long as possible. As Snorri's points out dwarf slayers are perfect for the job.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-08, 01:40 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

Ok so pretty much any unbreakable unit would work. For empire I should use the flagelents. (not sure on the spelling, no book at hand) I would amagine this unit does not need to be very large. Perhaps 10 to 15 unit size. These guys are kind of expensive for larger units.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-08, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

yeah spot on there. Keep them cheap but unbreakable is perfect, if you dont have unbreakable units then high LD and or armour can work.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 02:54 PM

Green Knight's Flag is: United Kingdom

ace work again ancient, nice one

The creatures of the Warp have but one trait with which you need concern yourself - their undying contempt for the Emperor. It is your task to quell the rebellion they preach, and the only sure way is to destroy them utterly.
+++ Qualtak Shoram +++
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-08, 05:09 PM

excellent work! i liked the pincer tactic beter do

like i posted in the other tactic thread by horus i think that we should look at how to counter this strategy when used against us.

from deployment you could make out that your opponent is going for a refused flank pretty easily. how than is it broken? i think that ignoring the sacrifice unit is pretty obvious. put your faster units on the flank with the sacrifice and try to swing around for a sort of pincer tactic. this way he is locked in tight with (hopefully) the tables edge at his back. this way the main force breaks on a unbreakable unit or a unit with high LD which i would put on the opposite flank of the sacrifice unit. the rest swings in for the kill ignoring the sacrifice for the bait that it is. the threat here however is getting stuck between the main force and the sacrifice unit getting squished yourself. a sacrifice unit or bait unit of your own might be a handy tactic here. just lure the sacrifice unit away. another plus to this approach would be that should your army break from the main force it has the rest of the table to move on. your opponent wont be so lucky.

at least thats the way i look at it. correct me when im wrong please. this is just to open up discussion a bit more

Last edited by Gharof von Carstein; 07-08-08 at 04:35 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-10, 03:34 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Awesome idea! I have never thought of this one, I have a match against HE tomorrow and I am definitely going to try this one. The only problem I can forsee is that the HE player uses a lot of individual units and by diverting 2/3 of my army into a flank I leave the front unprotected whilst also risk not tying up enough of his army with my flank attack. Being Dwarfs will also mean that I will then have to chase his units back to my front lines if it fails. Snorri, you seem to have used this one, how do you get around this potential problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode