Dark elves help please!! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Typhos's Flag is: USA

But you agree on the hydras?

Also, since independent characters are so expensive (but good) what should I use as a hq unit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 06:53 AM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Hydras are undeniably a stellar unit when used properly, and they are one of the things the book is feared for. Just watch out for the flaming banner or fire wizards! You can help mitigate the latter somewhat by taking a Supreme Sorceress as your "HQ" (we call them Generals in fantasy ), going for Level 4 and getting that +4 to dispel bonus.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea.

I'm looking to buy some models online as I can find them a lot easier. Any good places to get them, that you know of?

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 04:12 PM

www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk tends to be reasonably cheap (in comparison).
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-13, 07:33 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

I've heard a lot of people like witch elves, but too many never think executioners are great. (but always an ASF horde)

See, to make executioners even halfway decent, they need the banner of hag graef. But they can't take it, so you spend a lot of points on a crappy unit (death hag), with the banner. She can die super-easily and then things aren't good at all. If you run into anything with ASF then you are really screwed. Now they will strike at I order, and be vicious, sure, but BG wouldn't be in hordes even if they could. They are meant as an evil hammer to decimate the enemy. They shouldn't ever flee, that is what ld9 stubborn does for you, and you will kill a crapton with s4 armour piercing.

The exec. unit has to be inordinately expensive to be even decent, which is the problem. You are favoring it to bring it up to par, and even then I don't like it. 8th edition made hordes viable and strong, but not for 12 point models that become largely ineffectual when a paper character dies. There are lots of small effective units - high elves and warriors. Hordes are a way to make weaker infantry punchy, or go deathstar with elites. But to each his own.

Having said that, I've seen them, and they are powerful and can draw a lot of attention.

But if you are starting out, you could avoid all 3 until you figure out which you like as they are all super expensive. (5 for $33 in the USA last I checked, might have gone up).

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-13, 05:19 AM

The question of which special to go for is mostly a matter of metagame, and what you need in the rest of the list. Each has it's pros and it's cons, though there are some good arguments as to why Exec's are the least of the bunch, but in the end, each has a specific job.

Witch Elves are great at carving through basic infantry and high toughness models, but are fragile, and can break against armies that have good armor saves. However, considering the other options, Witch Elves are lucrative in combination with Cold One Knights, as those cover high armor save and are somewhat tough themselves, so you don't have to worry about buffing up only the Witch Elves. And, if you tend to face Skaven, or Empire and such, they'll just carve an absolute bloody hole into the enemy the moment they hit combat.

Black-Guard, as stated, can end up being mediocre, but are notable in that, pretty much no matter what they're up against, they'll always do at least decent. It's a shame about the lower unit size, but in smaller games, that's less of an issue.

Executioner's are the dark sheep of the bunch. I've heard of the ASF horde, and I can see how it would put out a lot of damage, but it is also a *lot* of eggs in one basket. If you have a lot of Chaos or Lizardmen, I'd consider it, but against most opponents, it's a point-sink, and one that's really reliant on one character to allow any sort of damage.

Since there's Cold One Knights, the Executioners seem even less appealing. Try out a Cold One Knight block with BoHG, and a character, and you'll have a more maneuverable and durable unit that isn't reliant on a no-armor-save character to carry the whole unit.

Writer of crappy fics, I hope you might derive some enjoyment from them.

FictionPress.com: For original stuff.

FanFiction.net: For stuff that is part of an established universe.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Well I also have an empire army that I'll be using against my Dark Elf army that my wife will be playing, so she'll destroy me. Is that what you're saying?

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 10:39 AM

Both the armies are quite balanced as far as performances go. I think you should both sit down and think about what units YOU want to take, not what we all suggest. Everything will will say is how to play at optimal, or near, level. It can, in a way, drain the life out of casual gaming.

If you want to beat her, take a gunline army and some Fire wizards.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-03-13, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

My wife won a huge warhammer tournament... I think it was regional...

I just started playing.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-13, 11:35 AM

Oh right! Didn't mean any disrespect.

Congratulations to her!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode