vs. Saurus Hordes? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Default vs. Saurus Hordes?

Usually, you'd see a 40-man Saurus unit in a fairly large game (say, 2000 points or higher). In fact, people don't usually take Saurus in such huge units.

However, if someone decides to take a 40-man Saurus unit at 800 points (yes, 800 points!) with a 200 points character limit then can anyone suggest reliable ways to kill it with an all-comers list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 07:46 PM
Rattlehead

Pit of Shades or Purple Sun of Xereus are my best guesses, make the most of their low initiative.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 07:47 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Some tough but cheap unit to charge the front and then flank them with something much harder hitting. What army book are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 07:50 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Lots of options here.. depending on what you've got.

Combat- if you a have a more powerful unit then use it, that works for when you have to use augs/hexs to rebalance the fight in your favour... not my desired method.
- flank them with a 'strong' unit but one that couldn't take them on in a fair fight. If you have the ranks to break their steadfast then all you need do is a few wounds and you should break them: 3 ranks, flank and charge gives you +5 res over them (assuming both have standards) and you should only be facing 8 attacks max which shouldn't do more then 3 wounds to anyone. Do a couple of wounds and those lizards should break.
- double flank them. Send in weak units to either side and don't die... you will be unlikely to win, but you'll also be unlikely to die anytime soon. It should keep them contained for a while, wither for you to bring up something stronger to flank with or to win by other means.

Magic- a pit of shades could rip that unit apart while a purple sun could quite easily massacre 80% of that unit in a single casing... either way get a bit of luck and they'll instantly be reduced to nothing more then a minor nuisance.

Shooting- um yeah, you might be fucked if this is all you have. Probably best to resort to the tactics below...

Or use my proffered method: avoid them entirely.
I like to play by the idiom: "don't do what the enemy wants you to". If they put a strong, slow combat unit on the table opposite you then they want it to get into combat... so don't let them. Its slow enough that you could just sit at the back of the board and avoid it for 4 turns without doing anything. Put a bit of effort into it and avoiding an M4 unit for 6 turns is rarely much harder, especially if you have a couple of units that they can't expose their flanks to.
If they've brought something with 40 saurus in it (or somehting equally nasty) then the other 2 units that they muct have on the board will be VERY weak, so go kill them. That'll net you the +100vp you need for the win with no need to defeat their uber unit.

In small games I value manoeuvrability much more highly then strength: next month I'm going to a WFB doubles tourny with an even more jokey army then normal: a goblin gunline. But a big part of my list is a big wolf rider unit: its too strong for anyone to allow to charge their flanks so any uber unit will have to face it each turn and with fast cav and M9 I can just dodge out of their charge arc each turn... until I fail animosity and charge straight to my death (I'm taking goblins... winning will be a bonus).

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions, the out-moving one is the most interesting because any flanking unit with have to be decent to survive 8 S4 attacks.

What about facing two units of 20-24 Saurus at this points level? Same strategies?

Last edited by Hasnat; 04-14-13 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Addition of a statement.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 09:00 PM

Silens's Flag is: Wales

Alternatively just avoid them and shoot at them to whittle them down. An ellyrian reaver heavy High Elf army, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
"Look they got a-OH MY GOD I'M ON FIRE FOR THE LOVE OF NAKED SANTA IT HURTS!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 09:25 PM
WFB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasnat View Post
Thank you for your suggestions, the out-moving one is the most interesting because any flanking unit with have to be decent to survive 8 S4 attacks.
not really: they're only WS3 so most elf types (WS4+ T3 5+ sv no parry) would be taking 2.2 wounds a turn.
A unit of 25 HE spearmen flank charging a 4*10 hoard of saurus would take about 2.2 wounds, but would inflict about 2.2 wounds back (if saurus have shields)... that means the fight comes down to their 3 ranks, flank and charge. End result would be a Ld3 cold blooded test for the saurus who would be at serious risk of massacre and very unlikely to pass both the break and reform tests (if they did get lucky and passed their break test chances are they would have another, almost as bad one to face the next turn).

2 blocks of 24 saurus at 800pts would be pretty evil as you are unlikely to face many of the units that could just pile straight through you and with 2 mutually supporting units it'll be very hard to flank charge either with a strong enough unit to beat them outright (and all but impossible to charge both flanks simultaneously). This would force people down the road of charging with their strongest units and hoping for the right spells to get through to turn the fight in their favour which is a pretty risky strategy at the best of times.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 04-14-13 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Combine that with Diadem of Power on a Level 1 Skink Priest (strong magic defence for 800 points battles) and that will make a tough Lizardmen army to beat. Here's what I might be up against:

Skink Priest, Level 1, Diadem of Power
24 Saurus Warriors, Standard Bearer
24 Saurus Warriors, Standard Bearer
11 Skink skirmishers
1 Salamander, extra skink

...or perhaps...

Skink Priest, Level 2, Diadem of Power, Ruby Ring of Ruin
20 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
20 Saurus Warriors, Full Command
10 Skink skirmishers
1 Salamander, extra skink

Both lists seem quite good. If you had to face one of them with an all-comers, which would it be and why?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-13, 05:11 AM
WFB Moderator

The first is better: full command is normally a waste in low points games, especially since it doesn't look like the priest will hie in the saurus units. That makes the champs there only for +1 attack and the musician is fairly pointless anyway.

24 is a much nicer number for a unit as well as you get the options of being 6 or 8 wide while 20 can't really go wider then 6, which means you've got less options.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-13, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
The first is better: full command is normally a waste in low points games, especially since it doesn't look like the priest will hie in the saurus units. That makes the champs there only for +1 attack and the musician is fairly pointless anyway.

24 is a much nicer number for a unit as well as you get the options of being 6 or 8 wide while 20 can't really go wider then 6, which means you've got less options.
Indeed, but a particular concern would be ethereals. The only reliable way of destroying them is to distract them with the Skinks and the Salamander, which buys the Saurus two turns of movement. However, for this tactic to work, I must hide the Skink Priest with my Saurus unit because the Skinks are needed as chaff and I cannot afford to concede 190 VP - but this only applies when facing a VC player fielding two 5-man Hexwraith units though an ethereal Black Coach with Fly isn't pleasant either.

Is my concern about Ethereal unit at 800 points justified? Or am I creating a storm-in-the-tea-cup situation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode