Better to arm Dragon Ogres with Halberds or Great Weapons? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

Default Better to arm Dragon Ogres with Halberds or Great Weapons?

Both upgrades cost the same, so it is a choice between striking harder or faster. However, with an initiative of 2 Dragon Ogres are likely to be striking after most opponents anyway.

So, which roles work better with a Halberd than Great Weapon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 02:40 PM

I guess halberds would be better if wanting to fight equally low initiative oponents, though, none imediately spring to mind. I really cant think of any situation just now that halberds would be better really. If they were 2 or 3 points cheaper then maybe just for the sake of freeing points in a list, but even then id probably still go for GWs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 08:50 PM

crimson skull's Flag is: United Kingdom

The only time halberds will be useful will be fighting a unit with great weapons or orcs and ogres as they match you on initiative but to be honest additional hand weapons would probably be better with the strength 5 so you will have more attacks.
It all depends on your regular opponents.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 10:29 PM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would also say it depends on what magic lores you are taking. If your taking spells which could significantly reduce your opponents initiative then halberds. And as crimson said. At strength 5 do you really need the extra strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 11:01 PM

Partybear's Flag is: United Kingdom

GW's all the way! Crimson skull is right the int benefit is not enough to lose the extra str, even if you come across a unit with gw's Halberds wont save you, if you inflict 10 wounds with halberds how many people use small gw wielding units? the point is they will still hit you regardless of halberd or gw, whilst the extra str over the halberd will allow you to wound t5 monsters on 2+ and bring 1+ save to 5+ save! Go smash some monsters!

Play the Game Fool!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-13, 11:04 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Generally speaking GW are a better choice as you won't be going first 85% of the time, and considering they should be flank charging warmachine hunting, or going after monsters and heavy cav going first shouldn't be a concern and spells should be used to boast your front line fighters and not a flanking unit so lowering the enemies through magic is not a good idea (Not to mention you should never build a unit around the idea you will use magic to boast it as magic is incredibly unreliable.

Also as most enemy units will have 20-30 models its doubtful that going first will matter.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode