Skaven Assassins - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-13, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
NoPoet's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Skaven Assassins

Hi, does anyone ever use Skaven Assassins?

For the same points as a basic Assassin, you can have 35 Slaves and 10 Giant Rats with 2 Packmasters, or a slightly tooled-up Warlord, or two slightly tooled-up Chieftains.

The Assassin also counts against your Heroes entitlement, so less Plague Priests and Chieftains, therefore less characters to boost the Clanrats' poor Ld.

While an Assassin can also be used independently and has decent Ld (for a Skaven), they seem like a huge points sink which is better at scaring or denting the enemy rather than outright killing them. It seems their (admittedly excellent) 4+ ward save is what makes them so expensive.

Has anyone ever got an excellent result from using one, like fighting off a Griffon or something?

Webmaster of Imperial Literature
Home of some of the web's finest 40K, Warhammer and original fanfic.
Our community is small and we need your support! The website is due to change, but in the meantime we need your fiction! The best new fiction will get onto the home page. Please contact me with ideas, suggestions and submissions.

20K: Ghostwalkers (2012 re-write)

20K Timeline (spoiler warning!)

Marneus Calgar (new stories on the way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-13, 04:54 PM
Mr. Black Orc's Flag is: Sweden

I'm not a skaven player myself but my friend who plays skaven used his assassin versus a high elf player and assassinated both his mages with throwing stars. That was a very smart move if I have to say so myself.

"I'm gonna stomp 'em to dust. I'm gonna grind their bones. I'm gonna burn down dere towns and cities. I'm gonna pile 'em up inna big fire and roast 'em. I'm gonna bash 'eads, break faces, and jump up and down on da bits dat are left. An' den I'm gonna get really mean"
-Grimgor Ironhide
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-07-13, 08:26 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

They are very situational and tend to only be of use versus low toughness low save armies. Elves and empire spring to mind. Against armies like chaos, vampires or even O&Gs their effectiveness drops considerably.

The other issue is they are a unit that whole battlefield effectiveness is based on deployment rather than any game turn, deploy poorly and they are out of the game

Personally I'd prefer a unit of gutter runners to an assassin, not as 1v1 killy but still shooty enough to deal with WMcs, and skulking wizards. I'll let Skyre weapons deal with blocks of infantry led by a character so I can win on SCR by the time lines meet

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode