Anvil and Hammer tactic - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-08, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Ancient Tiel' a fier's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Anvil and Hammer tactic

After Son of Horus made a great tactic thread i thought i would offer another approach, the classic anvil and hammer.

The anvil unit its vital it needs to be strong, defensive and most importantly it musnt run away. A battle standard bearer is always a good choice for an anvil as is any stubborn, heavily armoured, or best of all unbreakable unit. The basic principle is the that the anvil unit moves up to block the enemy advance, once the enemy are locked in combat with the anvil the Hammer moves up to break the enemy against the anvil.
The Hammer unit should be fast and very good at killing quickly, a great place for your general. Good units for this roll should have high strtength and attacks, ranks and a standard are not as important for the hammer as the anvil provides those.
Both of the Main units need support the Hammer musnt get bogged down so fast cavalry and chariots are a good way to keep the enemy off there flanks.The anvil can struggle against greater numbers while it waits for the Hammer to charge, so firepower units are useful so thin enemy units down before they reach combat.

When timed well this can be a game winning tactic it can be used to take centre field from the enemy leaving them disorganised and often with their best units destroyed.

I hope this helps or inspires some of you (sorry about the poor picture it was a quick scribble on paint)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-08, 03:14 PM

Gen. Confusion's Flag is: USA

A great post Ancient. I like the way everything works together to destroy a unwary foe. I think I will try a empire army for this tactic. Flagalents and great swords would make a good anvil. Knights of the order can be the hammer. I could give the knights the banner of daemon slaying which makes them cause fear on the charge.

"All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-08, 06:50 PM

Green Knight's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looks like a good tactic I could use it with my Bretonnians using a Grail Reliquae and Battle Pilgrims as the anvil. And use grail knights as a Hammer, a unit of knights of the realm as the fast cavalry, and small units of knight of the errent as the chariots. I think it will work

The creatures of the Warp have but one trait with which you need concern yourself - their undying contempt for the Emperor. It is your task to quell the rebellion they preach, and the only sure way is to destroy them utterly.
+++ Qualtak Shoram +++

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 02:06 PM

Or with Tomb Kings I could use Skeleton Warriors or Tomb Guard (equipped with the Banner of the Undying Legion - bound spell casting the incantation of summoning) as the anvil, and Chariots or Heavy Cavalry with the Mirage Standard (enemies must re-roll to hit at range. If they do not roll to hit, confers a 5+ ward save) as the hammer - probably chariots in order to insert a Tomb King.
Nice tactic.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 08:22 PM

Syko515's Flag is: USA

how would you go about this with the VC's army? as i see they lack shooting for the most part.

Ave Dominae Nox
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-08, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

for vampire counts the anvil is much bigger i use three units of zombies as an anvil, the special trick is that the zombies, while they will never win, can hold the enemy for a long time. The hammer is grave guard, black knights, big ghoul units, anything that can kill basically. This works really well for vampire counts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-08, 09:06 AM

Green Knight's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looks ace ancient

The creatures of the Warp have but one trait with which you need concern yourself - their undying contempt for the Emperor. It is your task to quell the rebellion they preach, and the only sure way is to destroy them utterly.
+++ Qualtak Shoram +++
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-08, 05:03 PM

yet another post for counter strategy discussion.

the anvil and hammer has one big flaw to it. which is that if your anvil breaks the strategy automatically fails miserably. in warhammer this is less of a issue due to unbreakable and high LD units. undeads can optimise this strategy due to the undead rule.

so what if you cant crack the anvil? than your next option is of course disrupting the hammer.

the problem with the hammer is that aldo its often times a unit that hits hard its overall not a unit that can stand by itself unsupported. using magic or fast units to disrupt or intercept the hammer is a good strategy to destroy the tactic completly. the anvil will not hold out forever (its not ment to) and without the hammer you can quickly turn things around. using a anvil of your own on the hammer is a good idea. this gives you time to swing around your own hammer on his anvil, cracking it and giving you the upperhand.

any thoughts about my 2 cents or counter strategies?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-08, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Very good post gharof, i was going to get round to these myself. Very good insight.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-08, 05:47 PM

thx just trying to do my part to help further tactic insight and becoming more active on this forum. its helped me out a lot seeing as im a beginning player (3 months into the game)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode