How important are BSB? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Default How important are BSB?

Just what the questions ask, thanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 04:55 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Depending on your army very. After all if you LD8 or lower you really will come to appreciate that re-roll.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-12, 05:56 AM

arlins's Flag is: England

iplay skaven and its kind of an integral part of the leadership bubble .
plus handy for quick reforms etc

so for me its very important ( keeping slaves in cc )

Last edited by arlins; 11-21-12 at 06:00 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-12, 07:35 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

Necessary for some armies.

For undead and the like not at all, but a lot of people I know gladly pay 25 points to have a few extra skellies around.

For warriors, my current main army, they are necessary. The so-so ld across the board necessitates a BSB.

You don't always need them, but it never hurts to have one. IF you would take a fighty hero anyway then pay the little extra to make him a bsb, and if not consider it. IF you want a magic banner you have to look at it a little more carefully I'd say. Only for specific builds, otherwise it is a waste.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-12, 05:09 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Basically its either an auto-choice, or a non-choice. There are very few armies where having a BSB is really a middle ground...

Rubbish:
VC, TK and daemons basically don't care about BSBs. If they've taken one it'll likely purely to carry a magic banner... they certainly won't include a BSB just as a BSB.

So-So:
I think Skaven and Lizards are about the only armies where a BSB is kinda useful but not really something that should be fitted into every list: skaven tend to get Ld10 on almost all their units while cold blooded means that even at Ld8 lizards are pretty hard to shift (play a Ld9-10 slaan and you really don't need to worry).

Useful:
The 'high' ld armies such as all the elves and empire (with Ld9 lords) don't absolutely need a BSB... but Ld9 is still a 1in6 chance of failing, which is pretty terrible for the more elite armies.

Vital:
The low-mid ld armies almost require a BSB to be effective. There armies include ogres, OnG and beastmen but also armies you wouldn't normally think of such as WoC (although less then the others). These are the armies where players cringe everytime they have to make a panic check or are horrified at the thought of making a steadfast check. Even the strongest Ld7-8 units are going to hate the thought of taking a chariot/monster to the flank: they will likely lose, could well break, have very little chance of reforming and generally won't do well.

For pretty much all of these the reroll from BSBs is well worth the 25pt cost, the only question is can you fit in the hero into your army in the first place to carry the BSB. For my ogres that's a real problem as characters are all very expensive... but for other armies where you can pick up a decent combat hero and add the BSB in for ~150pts its well worth taking.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-13, 08:38 PM

Warpaint's Flag is: USA

I personally play WoC and find it extremely useful.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-13, 11:39 AM

effigy22's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tim/Steve - Disagree on the Daemons bit, I think they are a must as we dont crumble like Undead, we lose an amount of models = to how much you failed the Ld test by. Although, my daemons do have a habit of spooning in combat and end up losing by a lot

Back on topic, i find that all armies could do with a BSB except those who suffer the undead rule.

Picture this - your death star unit, lots of points sunk in to it, you have all these amazing buff and you have the stubborn rule - you fail your leadership by 1. those 25 points just saved you a thousand points, or saved your right\left flank. My books - BSB is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Don't, after rolling that final 1 too many, flip out, climb up on the table and jump up and down on your opponent's models screaming 'APOCALYPTIC BARRAGE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!'.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-13, 07:53 PM

blackspine's Flag is: USA

I've found VC with a bsb help themselves a lot.
the wight king is a nasty character, base. With a magic banner, he can help diversity for the army..

25 points (plus the extra hero cost) can add +1 to any combat and swing from winning to losing so quickly.

plus for many Scenarios, it's another point.

just a thought.

Fury, Gore and Ruin

http://thenerdalsorises.wordpress.com/
-Beastmen 72-4-13
- Druchii 15-1-7 (rip)
- Rusted Ruin; WoC 25-3-8
- Chaos Dwarves: TBD
- Ogres: ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-13, 12:35 AM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

In VCs you either win big (GG horde w/ barrows) or lose big (core choices). Swinging from winning to losing with that +1 is laughable at best.

Magic banners sure. But only if you are running a specific build.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-13, 12:25 AM
NoPoet's Flag is: United Kingdom

There's no way in hell I'd play a Skaven or Daemon army without a banner. A 25 point upgrade that can save entire flanks, as someone pointed out earlier? Why would you NOT want this? A Nurgle herald with a magic banner and a magic level might be a bit points-heavy but he can lay down the smack and keep his army in the fight.

Skaven may get high Ld from big blocks of troops but if you start failing break or panic tests, you might as well sweep your army into the carry case and go to the pub. As for Daemons, the effect might not be so dramatic but it could mean the difference between losing half a dozen models or even a Greater Daemon.

Webmaster of Imperial Literature
Home of some of the web's finest 40K, Warhammer and original fanfic.
Our community is small and we need your support! The website is due to change, but in the meantime we need your fiction! The best new fiction will get onto the home page. Please contact me with ideas, suggestions and submissions.

20K: Ghostwalkers (2012 re-write)

20K Timeline (spoiler warning!)

Marneus Calgar (new stories on the way)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode