High Elf Unit Review and Army-Wide Tactics - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Tactics Discuss the art of war in Warhammer Fantasy. Exceptional topics will be stickied.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 01:22 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

DE this is fantastic keep it going, Really liked your magic breakdown and look forward to seeing the rest when its done.

Spot on with the seaguard, which is a real shame as I love both the old metal and IoB models.

Although I think you have praised reavers a bit too highly, they are definitely better than in 7th, but I'm not convinced they are that much better than shadow warriors. Do you think that the spear are worth the points? I dropped the upgrade, they don't need to charge and against WM crew extra strength isn't really needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

I probably do have a soft spot for the reavers. I just really like the fluff. Realistically, I should have given them a 4 or 5. Having said that, they are very mobile and with the spears have a better chance of wounding. It might not be worth all the points to have spears and bows, but when I use them I am rarely dissapointed.

Thanks for the rep and the reply! Special Part 2 will be up soon.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 05:10 PM

One glaringly obvious use of PG that you could include:

X amount of PG (30+) w/
Champ w/ Amulet of Light.
Standard of Sorcery
Musician
Prince, Vambraces of defense, GW, Armour of Caledor and Other Tricker's Shard
Noble, BSB - Banner of the World Dragon, Shield and Dragon armour

The perfect body guard for Teclis.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-23-12, 05:54 PM

Atreyu's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
One glaringly obvious use of PG that you could include:

X amount of PG (30+) w/
Champ w/ Amulet of Light.
Standard of Sorcery
Musician
Prince, Vambraces of defense, GW, Armour of Caledor and Other Tricker's Shard
Noble, BSB - Banner of the World Dragon, Shield and Dragon armour

The perfect body guard for Teclis.
Lol yeah in a 3k game where there is plenty of options to just snipe him out xD DivineEdge awesome tactica. Makes me remember when I tried out High Elves. Can't wait to see when it is done! Might just start them up again alongside the chaos triangle im working at right now!

My Armies:
Tyranids-Hive Fleet Hydrus(0/0/0)
WoC-The Host of Alctheus(0/0/0)
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 09:45 AM

I'm really liking this tactica, looking forward to your views on Eagles as they IMO are the best unit in the book for utility, they saved the day in my last battle
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-12, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

Special Characters - Lords
We have 4 special lords - three of which aren't great and one of which is an overactive cheese factory. Here they are.

Tyrion - 4/10
For the greatest warrior and hero of this age in Ulthuan, this guy is pretty not outstanding. I mean, if he is Aenarion reborn, then I can see why the elves were losing the war against chaos. In 7th he qs uber-survivable, with a 0+ armour, 4+ ward, and 4+ regen. Now, however, you can only take a ward or a regen, and armour saves are capped at 1+. But, you say, he hits with strength 7. Yeah, so does my cheaper calvary prince. He has an 18" inspiring presence. Who cares? He has a boost to WS and I? Yeah well, I have ASF anyways and the WS really doesn't matter. I will hit almost everything on 3s and seriously, if we are fighting a chaos lord, both Tyrion and the generic prince are toast so...

But seriously, I can get a prince that has strength 7, a 1+ armour save, and will get a LOS! roll (Tyrion doesn't as he is on a large base, and therefore monstrous calvary) for a lot cheaper. The model is really cool, though.

Alith Anar - 0/10
A BS 7 bolt thrower! Yay! For 2.5 times the cost of a normal one, Oh... This guy is my least favorite unit in the entire book. I hate his guts. The model is cool, the fluff is amazing, but he sucks. On the GW website it says he has the punch of a high elf prince - he doesn't. He has a frickin' hand weapon. He is survivable - he has a 4+ ward. Yeah - and a 6+ armour save protecting you investment. Can you say sucks? The ward save won't save him - all it take is one fireball or a round of poisoned shooting to wipe your expensive leader and retinue off the table.

Eltharion - 6/10
I lied. Eltharion can actually be decent. He is a RGoH Prince on steriods. I actually take him in some 2000 point games just because. His griffon is better then normal. It (Stormwing and Eltharion) gets a 5+ ward save from his helm. He has a lance that always ignores armour saves. He has a 3+ armour save when mounted - it's not great, but it could be worse (*coughAlithcough*). He is also a level 2 mage but can only use the 8 BRB lores. Very versatile, and actually quite fun to use - when the opponent doesn't bring cannons.

Teclis - 11/10
The real reason I wrote this part of the tactica. This guy is amazing. I am going to do a points breakdown on him: (the points are estimates formed in my opinion)

High Elf Level 4 Archmage - 265
Loremaster - 50
The sword of Teclis - 10
Getting IF on all doubles - 100
A dispel scroll that can erase a spell from an enemy's mind - 50
+d3 PD/DD - 100
Ignoring the first miscast each turn - priceless (actually 100)

That comes to - 675 points, 200 more points than he costs.

Don't bring him in friendly games, OK - as they will no longer be friendly. Ypu could start a pool on how long until my friend's entire dwarf army gets killed by purple sun and how long until my friend gets charged with assualt and battery and attempted murder - the smart money would be turn 3. Most tourneys ban him. He is so sick, and all his rules and magic items are so overpowered, that he cannot be used. But let's assume you are.

He knows every spell in a lore. He gets IF on any doubles and ignores his first miscast. You can 6-dice pit of shades, get IF, ignore the miscast if it comes, and laugh as a slann, his retinue, and a nearby stegadon dies. Then you can run arnoud causing mayhem forever. The IF + ignoring miscasts makes him, literally, the best catster in the game. Mazamundi or Kroak might be better all around, and Fateweaver might have more spells, but no one will get spells off wih impunity like Teclis. He costs a lot less then they do too.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 06:06 PM

The Dog Boy's Flag is: USA

Excellent summary but I have to take two exceptions:
The Lore of Fire is certainly mediocre, but a low to very-low point games (500-1250, the ones that brand new players reading this guide will play) the Lore of Fire is excellent and has several important advantages: Low casting costs, the Kindleflame trait gives a big boost to low level casters, and the Fireball spell is a guaranteed Flaming ranged attack that can duplicate the power of a 10-elf archer unit. Extremely useful if you've got just one low level caster, slap a Silver Wand on and the Kindleflame helps cast both spells the wizard will have!

Second, the Lore of Light. Excellent but exactly the opposite. It requires a tailored build at high points level, but a group of four Light mages (1 lvl 4 and 3 lvl1, or 2 lvl one and a Prince with the Crown of Hoeth) can wreck massive havoc. First, Banishment is the base spell so every mage can have it. With 4 mages that's D6 S7 flaming attacks from each of them! Killer vs. war machines, monsters, monstrous infantry, characters, and beasts. Well, to be honest nothing likes 4D6 S7 Flaming attacks, and forget about demons and Undead! Or you can have fewer Banishments and all the remaining Lore to cast. I10 is not as awesome as it could be, but it is great against Dark Elves, Skaven, and characters.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 05:19 PM

Atreyu's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dog Boy View Post
Excellent summary but I have to take two exceptions:
The Lore of Fire is certainly mediocre, but a low to very-low point games (500-1250, the ones that brand new players reading this guide will play) the Lore of Fire is excellent and has several important advantages: Low casting costs, the Kindleflame trait gives a big boost to low level casters, and the Fireball spell is a guaranteed Flaming ranged attack that can duplicate the power of a 10-elf archer unit. Extremely useful if you've got just one low level caster, slap a Silver Wand on and the Kindleflame helps cast both spells the wizard will have!

Second, the Lore of Light. Excellent but exactly the opposite. It requires a tailored build at high points level, but a group of four Light mages (1 lvl 4 and 3 lvl1, or 2 lvl one and a Prince with the Crown of Hoeth) can wreck massive havoc. First, Banishment is the base spell so every mage can have it. With 4 mages that's D6 S7 flaming attacks from each of them! Killer vs. war machines, monsters, monstrous infantry, characters, and beasts. Well, to be honest nothing likes 4D6 S7 Flaming attacks, and forget about demons and Undead! Or you can have fewer Banishments and all the remaining Lore to cast. I10 is not as awesome as it could be, but it is great against Dark Elves, Skaven, and characters.
Your second paragraph is horribly inaccurate. Banishment is the 5th spell (discarding the sig), so everyone has to try to roll for it. Plus if you are running the way you even plan on it, you only ever get it once, as the rules say if a spell is taken by one wizard you cannot have it a second time beyond two expections:
1. all the spells are already known (like Master of Sorcery), or
2. you are taking the signature spell so everyone can know it.

My Armies:
Tyranids-Hive Fleet Hydrus(0/0/0)
WoC-The Host of Alctheus(0/0/0)
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 08:27 PM

The Dog Boy's Flag is: USA

Humbled, I stand corrected.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 10:36 AM
Mad as a sack of Squigs

Ratvan's Flag is: England

The point on Banishment is a good one, If slightly inaccurately described.

You only need one mage to roll for banishment and if you select your casters carefully this can easily be made to be the one you wanted. You get an additional point of Strength for every mage that takes lore of light so yes the S7 MM is possible

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Tactics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode