Question on the new Ogres - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer Fantasy rules queries here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

FatBoyFat's Flag is: England

Default Question on the new Ogres

Dual wield or iron fist? that is about it really, which would you use?

I'm thinking of a big unit of ogres with the drake banner thing, I'm looking to try and make sure they always get the charge, so I'm thinking to go with the extra attacks and hoping lots of wounds and higher then average toughness will be enough defence, what is your opinion?

Also the Ogre Charge rule, I'm not sure I'm reading this wrong and I asked in the Local store, it says each ogre unit on foot with the special rule that successfully charges gets an impact hit, now I've read that as that means the whole unit? as they all successfully charged, so lets say a unit of 20 5x4 that would be 20 str 7 hits (up to 60 if you get really lucky!) But that does seem a little over powered!

Sorry, I clicked on the wrong forum! this should of been in rules discussion.

Last edited by FatBoyFat; 09-17-11 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Apology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 01:53 PM

Deathypoo's Flag is: USA

I read my friend's book and it's not on me now, but I'm pretty sure only the front rank (in base to base contact) gets the impact hits. That's how it works for my TK chariots too.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 02:24 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thread moved.

All ogres in a unit have the ogre charge rule... but only the ones in base contact will use it to do an impact hit. You if you have a unit of 18 and play 6 wide, but only 4 touch the enemy then you would do 4 S6 hits.

I think ironfists are almost mandatory on bulls (ogres). If someone were to use a unit of 3-4 then dual weild would be better... but then I think using units of that size would be fairly pointless anyway. As soon as you have a 2nd rank the AHW will not give any bonuses (and its lessened even more if you start adding characters), while ironfists permanently helps your unit, regardless of size.

Ogres aren't that survivable: they have low WS and T isn't great. Against a unit that puts out about 10 attacks you can just take the hits and maybe lose an ogre... but against huge hordes that can put out ~40 attacks (before the new book I sent an ogre deathstar into hoard ghouls and took about 25 wounds before I attacked) you need magic or tactics.
Tactics can get you charging the flank of a unit, where it doesn't put out many attacks (any ogre unit flank charging should smash the enemy unit), while +1T or regen can really do wonders for keeping your ogres alive that little bit longer.

Last edited by Tim/Steve; 09-17-11 at 04:52 PM. Reason: english error

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the advice! I'll be making them with the ironfists then!
I don't know if it is a good thing that I've got a 1000 point of army of 18 models.. at least it is quick to paint.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 05:00 PM
WFB Moderator

My 1000pt army is only 21 models... and I'm running fairly basic (butcher, bruiser, 15 bulls, sabretusk and 3 mournfang). A few ogres is a very scary thing.

My old 7th ed 2000pt army didn't have many more. I had about 5 units of 3 ironguts, 2 units of 3 bulls, 3 yhettes, a tyrant and 3 butchers... and maybe a gorger or 2.
~30 ogres in 2k wasn't much, but having many more units did make it seem like a big army (I would often run out of room to deploy).
Trying to run an ogre MSU army now would be suicide (well, maybe an leadbelcher army could work). Think I'll stay with my WE for MSU.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Would you say Iron Guts are worth it? I'm about to start sticking arms on and wondering if it may just be worth going for normal ogres, seems a fair few extra points, but you do get 3 str 6 hits and with init 2, your gonna be hitting last anyway against most people.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 04:27 PM
WFB Moderator

Yeah, more or less my thoughts. The ironguts can have a magical banner, and have a higher Ld if operating alone... but I don't think that they're worth it most of the time. I certainly wouldn't take more then 1 unit, since the second can't have a magical banner.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

First 6 ogres done, just need to base them now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode