HW Shield combod WHFB - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Warhammer Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer Fantasy rules queries here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Varica's Flag is: USA

Default HW Shield combod WHFB

Hey guys/gals,

Was rereading the big rule book and trying to figure out about hw and shield combo, I keep hearing we lost the +1 to armor save in CC, but we get a +6 ward save instead on normal attacks.

My question is this statement true. I keep seeing reference tables in the Big Book in the saves section showing HW+shield gives +1 armor save, goes into detail in the range section and then the cc chapter points you back there for questions you have on the save. Went to further my investigations and looked up the ward save for having the shield. Bascially all i have seen and read is you get a +1 save for the shield and now in addition you have a ward save for CC when you carry the shield.

Thanks guys for helping me clear this up, making my head spin trying to figure it out.

-Varica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:33 AM

maddermax's Flag is: Australia

Shields always add +1 to your armour, against any and all attacks, just like it says on P43. Handweapon/shield combo also gives you a Ward Save of 6+ in Combat, when fighting to your front, as it says on P88.

What people are saying was lost was the Extra +1 armour you used to get from a handweapon/shield combo in 7th edition. So now, instead of giving you an Extra +1 armour (which would make your shield bonus +2 total) in combat, it gives you a ward save of 6+. They are not saying you no longer get the normal +1 to your armour save for having a shield.

Hope that helps clear it up

PubHammer Brisbane
It's all in the name.

Looking for a club in Brisbane, Australia? Come and enjoy a game and a beer at our friendly club in a pub, Sunday nights from 6:30. All brisbanites welcome, don't wait, check out our Club Page on Facebook for details or to organize a game. We play all sorts of board and war games, so hit us up if you're interested.

Update:From the 25th of May 2014 we'll be Meeting at The Junction pub in Annerley, opposite Ace Comics and Games Still playing 40k, Warmachine and board games of all sorts!

Last edited by maddermax; 08-20-10 at 10:36 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:36 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Shields give you a permanent +1 to your armour save while equipped.. where you are getting confused is that in combat they used to give you an extra +1 to your AS on top of that if fighting enemy to the front and if using shield and hand weapon, while now you lose that additional +1 and get a 6+ (not +6 as you said... just a small difference in that ) ward save if using a mundane hand weapon as well.

hope that clears up the confusion

EDIT- wow, not only ninja'd but practically jinxed too, weird.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Varica's Flag is: USA

Thanks guys, clears it up pretty well, now just to find out if shields are still worth it for my Dwarfs.

-Varica
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 11:32 AM

from a 5 with heavy ar to a" 4+ and a ward save of 6+" with heavy ar and shield.
Personaly I would rather have the 5 with heavy ar 4 with shield and heavy then 3+ for heavy ar,shield,and parry.
They raped us Dwarf's we need stuborn all around and it says Dwarf's are more resistant to magic "Where is the normal dwarf more resistant to magic?
Without paying extra for it.

I remember T.H.A.C.O

JAWABALLS FANCLUB

Diskwars junkie
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 12:56 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Because with Runepriests and and unlimited scrolls virtually, you don't need any more?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacknslashgamer View Post
from a 5 with heavy ar to a" 4+ and a ward save of 6+" with heavy ar and shield.
Personaly I would rather have the 5 with heavy ar 4 with shield and heavy then 3+ for heavy ar,shield,and parry.
They raped us Dwarf's we need stuborn all around and it says Dwarf's are more resistant to magic "Where is the normal dwarf more resistant to magic?
Without paying extra for it.
Really? Really?
When I play as a fairly magic heavy Dark Elf army and go up against a friends Dwarves, and realise that short of rolling a double 6 for winds of magic, he's likely to have just as many if not more dispel dice than i have power dice, what with runes that steal my dice, and runesmiths that flat out add dice rather than having to channel, and being the only army that can still take multiple dispel scrolls, AND having a permanent +2 to dispel instead of having to weigh the pros and cons of dispelling with a particular wizard and potentially failing and not being able to use that wizard to dispel again.....*takes deep breath* No-one in their right mind says Dwarves aren't resistant to magic anymore...

Add that to the fact that they also have the most accurate artillery in the game, what with engineers AND runes, and arguably, point for point, the best value combat infantry around, I don't think a single stunty player out there gets to say that Dwarves got *raped* this edition without being able to keep a straight face...
*edit* - because I can't spell today, apparently...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 06:05 PM

Drax's Flag is: England

yeah, i tried to say it with a straight face but was laughing before a single syllable was uttered.

Dwarfs have defintely not suffered and my lists only 'weakness' is that my Ironbreakers armour is now one less in combat

ho hum, how life kicks us when we are down ;)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 08:50 PM

VeronaKid's Flag is: USA

To see how dwarves did not get "raped" in eigth edition, one has only to read a single section of the new BRB. And that section has NOTHING to do with magic resistance.

The section is entitled "Cannons."

End of story.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:03 PM

Drax's Flag is: England

to be fair i rarely use cannons in my dwarf list

what can i say, i'm a glutton for punishment

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer Fantasy Battles & Age of Sigmar > Warhammer Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode